ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a new gearbox

Flame Red 172
Following on from my thread the other day

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?586467-Something-went-bang-before-Oh-S**T

Eventually got it to a garage for them to have a look at it, there was basically a hole in the botton of the gearbox according to them the planet gear had gone through the top of the diff and they think something has got between the cogs and has just caused an all mighty f**k up inside the gearbox so basically nothing is salvagable, now i've got a small dilemma

the garage basically told me that its going to be hard for me to get my box reconditioned because everything inside is chuffed and theres a hole in the box itself where the planet gear had come out, so could cost around £700 to get that done for starters. Second option is to get a brand new box from renault which cost £803.43 but obvs that is brand new box with a much better warranty then the reconditioned one.

Anyway the garage all together want pretty much £1600 to do everything together which i think is a joke its pretty much £400 labour some sort of surcharge that renault add on and VAT. My car is was only worth £2999 so its over half the value of the car to sort it out, im just proper stuck at the moment i cant afford £1600.

Now my only other option would be to try and find a second hand gearbox but i've been advised to stay away from that route as you dont know what type of box u could be putting in your car and that could also go but that would probably be the cheapest and best option for me

If anyone could give any advice on better prices or where I can get second hand gearboxes i would really appreciate it or any other alternatives

Cheers

Mark

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
My box went but ended up fixable but I had this dilemma waiting to see if it was f**ked or not. I was gonna go down the 2nd hand route with whatever the best option on ebay but realised as you say it could go and then your in the same situation which 2nd time around will sway you towards a new box. Renault discount on a new box and cheap labour is the ideal option.

Flame Red 172
It's just too much money mate but i just need to dig round and see what i can do cant believe its so much really cant afford it

Clio 172
Agency transmissions for all your parts mate, check out burpspeed they recommended them to me and I have to say they are excellent and a lot cheaper than Renault!. Not sure if they have off the shelf boxes but worth a call!.

Lionel Richie
i have a good phs1 172 box here, but i want £200 for it (i've driven it, so can confirm its a good one)

RS6 C7
ye buy a one of a breakers or Fred, i have used a couple in other cars and aslong as you know they are good go for it!, labour to replace a box should be anymore than £200 :)