ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Scirocco

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, thought I already had a thread for this, but due to work/girlfriend commitments, I bought a diesel in May. Went with with a 2012 Scirroco 140 Bluemotion. £30 Tax and a genuine 50mpg meant it was actually a sound choice financially. It was also £14 a month cheaper to insure than my Clio 1.2? Anyway, its not exactly modified, but Ive done a few things. I upgraded all the bulbs to Xenon style ones as you do. Put a private plate on and changed the VW badges to Gloss Black ones. I debadged the rest of the rear end. I bought a DTUK Tuning box, which TRANSFORMED the car. Far quicker and a decent MPG improvement (yes I know a remap would have been better). The stock ride height was laughable, I couldnt afford air ride, and my car has the Active Dampers so switching to coilovers would have meant either disabling this via a box, or buying ultra expensive ACC Coilovers, so I settled for 30mm springs which improved the aesthetics, but I do think it needs to go down a little more. I had the mirrors painted gloss black, I also attempted to get the roof wrapped Gloss Black, but thats a long story. I needed some new tyres, so I bit the bullet and bought some fairly expensive Michelin Super Sports (£144 a pop) They got delivered, and I decided I may as well fit them on some new wheels. However, the only wheels I wanted were out of budget (Vossens) for what Ive ended up paying I could have got some Replicas with budget tyres, but I think overall Im happy with the decision Ive made. I decided to get my 19" Lugano wheels refurbished in a BMW Ferrick Grey. I dropped the car off @ Wheel Maniacs and they provided me with some dashing Audi 16s haha.

11204463_10153664453302558_1140329051119898345_n.jpg

I also added some 15mm Spacers, I got the call to go get them back and was astonished by the quality of the job!

12049387_10153667070912558_6051601788409256268_n.jpg

I would like an R Front bumper and some TTRS Brakes, but we will have to see what the mrs says :smile:

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Shall I do my own "I know Im killing children with Nitrogen poisoning but I save money at the pumps yo?"

Listerine & Poledo
Lack of "proper" Scirocco disappoints.

Also, blah blah smokey, blah blah, killing everyone, blah blah dpf/egr/catalyst/remap (yawn)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I had a DTUK box on my old Leon for a while and it was great.

So what makes this a bluemotion engine wise? I've always wondered. I have a GT TDI 140 and it does 55mpg all day long but not a bluemotion.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Is yours in a mk5? Im not too clued up on the engines, But this is a CR Engine (common rail?). Im not sure if there was an engine in between the PD and the CR?

I also had the dual mass flywheel start knocking @ 48k, But the Warranty sorted that for me pain free :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
We have them on the 110bhp Caddy Work Van because 370mm discs :D

If I was running serious power, I wouldnt be putting TTRS Set ups on them..... There's a reason you can do the whole conversion for £500 lol.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
We have them on the 110bhp Caddy Work Van because 370mm discs :smiley:

If I was running serious power, I wouldnt be putting TTRS Set ups on them..... There's a reason you can do the whole conversion for £500 lol.

Its still a good solid waste of money regardless.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is yours in a mk5? Im not too clued up on the engines, But this is a CR Engine (common rail?). Im not sure if there was an engine in between the PD and the CR?

I also had the dual mass flywheel start knocking @ 48k, But the Warranty sorted that for me pain free :smile:
No it's a Mk6. I just wondered as I see bluemotions but they do the same mpg as mine.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
No it's a Mk6. I just wondered as I see bluemotions but they do the same mpg as mine.

Still £20/£30 to tax a year? Ive no idea.

One thing I will say, I do genuinely get the quoted figures. In fact with my box, I was working in Tamworth (Birmingham to Tamworth) working 3pm-11pm (so no traffic) for a week and I averaged 67mpg over the 250odd miles that week.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Still £20/£30 to tax a year? Ive no idea.

One thing I will say, I do genuinely get the quoted figures. In fact with my box, I was working in Tamworth (Birmingham to Tamworth) working 3pm-11pm (so no traffic) for a week and I averaged 67mpg over the 250odd miles that week.

Edit done a bit of research. This is the first result Ive found so could be wrong. It also mentions what an amazing job VW have done with the Nitrogen figures......

VW has given the 2.0 litre turbo-diesel engine a quick once-over in the name of economy and fitted a start-stop system. The BlueMotion Technology pack also adds regenerative braking to help keep the battery charged for all that extra engine cranking.

The multifunction computer is another part of the package that has been eco-tuned. Now it suggests when to change up a gear in the interest of saving fuel.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've always liked Sciroccos, they're like the Volvo in that they aren't just normal looking hatchbacks - someone's actually designed something half sporty.

That said the scene reputation ruins it.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Edit done a bit of research. This is the first result Ive found so could be wrong. It also mentions what an amazing job VW have done with the Nitrogen figures......
Ah makes sense. No stop, start. More to tax. It does 65mpg on a run though according to the computer. I average about 650 miles to a tank normally.
Wheels and lowering look great! I'm tempted to lower this derv I've got tbh.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Ah makes sense. No stop, start. More to tax. It does 65mpg on a run though according to the computer. I average about 650 miles to a tank normally.
Wheels and lowering look great! I'm tempted to lower this derv I've got tbh.
I turn the start stop off (i felt like I was stalling), and I find that it returns better mpg in 5th than 6th on the motorway so I dont listen to the "shift up" on the MFD. I dont quite get 650 miles, but Ive never been able to put much more than £50 in, maybe the Scirroco has a smaller tank?

I really like the Car, the interior is nice and I think it looks very sporty (which is a double edged sword, been a diesel). I honestly think the Scirocco R would be my PERFECT car, if they did it with the newer Golf R 300bhp engine. Was a little dissapointed to find out the 2015 facelift Scirocco still has the S3/Mk6 Golf R engine with Circa 260bhp. But I guess the Scirocco is always going to be the older golf in a prom dress.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I turn the start stop off (i felt like I was stalling), and I find that it returns better mpg in 5th than 6th on the motorway so I dont listen to the "shift up" on the MFD. I dont quite get 650 miles, but Ive never been able to put much more than £50 in, maybe the Scirroco has a smaller tank?

I really like the Car, the interior is nice and I think it looks very sporty (which is a double edged sword, been a diesel). I honestly think the Scirocco R would be my PERFECT car, if they did it with the newer Golf R 300bhp engine. Was a little dissapointed to find out the 2015 facelift Scirocco still has the S3/Mk6 Golf R engine with Circa 260bhp. But I guess the Scirocco is always going to be the older golf in a prom dress.
Yeah I can just about get £60.00 in mine so probably a larger tank. Better in 5th you say? Sounds odd. 6th is a very flat gear I find.

Listerine & Poledo
The gearing in bluemotions is tweaked so that you just shuffle your way up to 6th ASAP and then sit doing 100rpm everywhere. IIRC.

Remember, they're made to be penny-pinching fuel-cheaters not OMG VAGSCEEN BHP NOX BOOST LOL....

Doesn't mean they cant be though

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice car, always been a fan of the Scirocco, infact iirc I made a thread about this car on release.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I paid £14500 for mine in May on 45k. 2012 model.

That mpg is with the tuning box. I was getting 500ish to £50 pre box. Mainly 30mph roads and 2 or 3 8 mile motorway blasts a week.

Clio
Problem is, if I had that sort of cash at the moment to be chucking at a car, mpg and tax would be the last thing on my mind.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Problem is, if I had that sort of cash at the moment to be chucking at a car, mpg and tax would be the last thing on my mind.
Oh I agree. I had a similar chat with the guy fitting my tyres when He said "fair play for running proper tyres even on a diesel". Regardless its a £15kish car, id be mad not to keep up with decent maintaince. But Id be lying if it didnt factor into my decsion to buy one. I went over my initial budget but was confident that id save this money back in the long run with reduced running costs. Realistically I could have got a Mk 6 Golf GTI for £11k ish and ran it. But hey, im happy with what Ive got, and I cant see me selling for anything other than a mk 7 Golf R or a Scirocco R.

Clio
Oh I agree. I had a similar chat with the guy fitting my tyres when He said "fair play for running proper tyres even on a diesel". Regardless its a £15kish car, id be mad not to keep up with decent maintaince. But Id be lying if it didnt factor into my decsion to buy one. I went over my initial budget but was confident that id save this money back in the long run with reduced running costs. Realistically I could have got a Mk 6 Golf GTI for £11k ish and ran it. But hey, im happy with what Ive got, and I cant see me selling for anything other than a mk 7 Golf R or a Scirocco R.
You've made the best decision, I just come over all thick the minute I get cash and a copy of auto trader together.
I'm tempted to try and sell it to the Mrs as cost saving exercise and get a new car.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You've made the best decision, I just come over all thick the minute I get cash and a copy of auto trader together.
I'm tempted to try and sell it to the Mrs as cost saving exercise and get a new car.
Have you still got a V6? I saw a blue one in the mare Sunday and didn't know if it was yours.

Last edited:
  Clio
Have you still got a V6? I saw a blue on in the mare Sunday and didn't know if it was yours.
Nope, flogged that a few years ago. Was collecting dust. The 172 almost went bang so moved that on. Just stuck with the Gran Turismo Passat now.

Listerine & Poledo
I do like these, however your man maths needs some work, you've spent about 16 grand on a car, to save money on fuel & tax
hehe.gif
Standard CS practice.
Next he'll buy another car on finance so he can put the scirocco away while he saves up for coilovers.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Standard CS practice.
Next he'll buy another car on finance so he can put the scirocco away while he saves up for coilovers.
I do like these, however your man maths needs some work, you've spent about 16 grand on a car, to save money on fuel & tax
hehe.gif
Sometimes people want a new car AND for it to be economical. It's not hard to understand? He hasn't said he's bought it to save money..

Listerine & Poledo
He's also bought an eco-warrior car with the aim to make it sportier, which is more difficult to understand.

But, hell, not my money, so not my problem