ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Gutted.

No chance of splitting the gearbox off to change it again before the weekend? I am guessing it's the gearbox end one you changed?

340i
I decided to change the crank shaft oil seal for 'piece of mind' while it was in bits, I shouldn't have bothered as its p1ssing out of there now!
Russ
Those crank seals are a PITA!!!

Renault sell a special tool for fitting them, which sets the correct depth / force.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Did someone say Deja vu?
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434303395.562258.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Not good to hear Russ but looks like you have got the removal down to a fine art .
Have you used the car much since replacing the bearing in the PMS shifter ? Im still not happy with mine but not sure if better to change all the bearings or just the main stick one .

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not good to hear Russ but looks like you have got the removal down to a fine art .
Have you used the car much since replacing the bearing in the PMS shifter ? Im still not happy with mine but not sure if better to change all the bearings or just the main stick one .
Tested at Oulton and then Raced it at Rockingham mate and it was far better than it's ever been, I'd say it's probably on the slack side now but it's a lot more user friendly and far easier to find gears, no missed gears this time!
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Those crank seals are a PITA!!!

Renault sell a special tool for fitting them, which sets the correct depth / force.
Yeah I know that now mate, shame I didn't know before. I've definitely fitted it too deep when looking at my spare engine. I've ordered another (genuine) seal and have pinched the proper tool from my Renault tech friend so take 2 coming this week!
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered some bits from Renault which arrived today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434566774.821050.jpg

Crank shaft oil seal, gearbox 5th gear cover and seal. Also pinched the proper Renault tool for doing the crank seal from a renault tech i know while I was there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434566886.099254.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434566896.082620.jpg

Crank seal fitted
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434566935.150154.jpg

You'll see it sits proud of the casting which is the mistake I made last time and tapped it too far in. It's now the same as another engine I have so should be ok.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567031.865101.jpg

Got the new 5th gear cover and seal fitted too as it was leaking, old cover was corroded and paint was flaking along with the seal that was a bit slack.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567119.298174.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567133.647270.jpg

Had a 'helper' tonight, well I think he was supposed to be helping. He's worked out how to open the door on the car so he'll be swapping engines in no time!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567268.080565.jpg

Still got to put a new clutch on the flywheel and put the 'box on but need to helicoil one of the near side M8 driveshaft threads on the box as its stripped. Should be back in the car and running by the weekend, plenty of time to sus any issues before cadwell on the 18 July.
Russ

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567009.165436.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434567009.165436.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 68

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Never rains....
Guess every cloud has a silver lining and all that. Hardest thing about oil leaks is finding where they're from half the time so hopefully swapping the sump is the easy bit! It's definitely time to start building a proper motor now though before this one cries enough and my 'spare' motor has no bits left on it! I'll be at cadwell even if I've got to start pinching standard bits off my ph1 or 182!
Russ

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I fitted a new crank seal when mines was out and couldn't figure why it's leaking now as I was adamant I'd put it in perfect.

Definately need to find that tool :pensive:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I fitted a new crank seal when mines was out and couldn't figure why it's leaking now as I was adamant I'd put it in perfect.

Definately need to find that tool :pensive:
All Renault main dealers 'should' have one, they won't use it very often so slip a techie a tenner and pinch it for a while, sorted!
@sonny172cup cracked diagonally across from the front towards the middle/gearbox end. Only reason I can see it is my sump is painted black and can see the crack in the alloy. I'll get a brand new sump for my new engine build when the time comes but have a used one on my spare engine that'll do fine for now with a new gasket.
Russ

Russ if you want another sump I still have 3 scrap bottom ends at my place, you can have a sump off one of them if you like.

kd1zjp.jpg

Wow, that's steep!

You are welcome to one Russ, I will take it off and bring it with me to the next meeting. I am probably not going to be at cadwell, but I will be at silverstone.

Or if you are in a rush for it I can post it out to you?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
It's been running and ...............
It's in bits again!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436127512.622662.jpg

Still have a slight weep from the crank shaft oil seal so the spare engine is going in. Got them both on stands to swap the cams etc over.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436127681.415646.jpg

I'll be at cadwell if I've got to push the car around!
Russ

Have you checked the crank itself to see if there is any damage or scoring or anything?

Seems strange you keep getting a leak.