ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new car, 80's bmw content!

So, little update on the beeeeeeemer.

Parked up on the drive last night to a weird oily smell, popped the bonnet to find a little oil leak coming from the head gasket area. Hoping and praying it's just the gasket that's gone so I'll get that replaced and see how we go, if not, money money money.

It's almost time for the ol' boy to go in the garage over winter, ready for my planned work. It's basically going to live on axle stands until next year, and maybe a trip or 2 to a bodyshop. I'll come to that later.

Brakes have been ordered, Willwood 4 pot kit for the front, E30 M3 twin pot calipers for the back, and need to order rear discs and pads from G172 on here. Z3 shifter is sat in the garage waiting to be fitted and still need to order a steering rack, this may require a new manifold, still researching this.

I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth about a month ago when I took it to have it's belts done. The chap doing so noticed behind the waxoil on the drivers sill, was the dreaded rot, so it's looking like this needs to be replaced, so at some point over the winter, I'm going to have both sills replaced, for peace of mind. Was angry as hell as when I checked everything out when I bought the car, it looked lovely and waxoiled and not a problem, not the case it seems.

But hey ho, these things happen and once that's been fixed, it's something done that would need doing in the future anyway.

Still loving it, still loving the attention I get, a lot of people wave, especially older folk in their bmw's. Yeah it's got it's problems, but I expected nothing less with a car this age, still fulfilling a childhood dream and enjoying every moment of it.

Old BMW's have their ways of getting under your skin.

No matter how much you spend or how much blood, sweat and tears go into it, it'll still all be worth it.

Looking forward to seeing your work :)

Old BMW's have their ways of getting under your skin.

No matter how much you spend or how much blood, sweat and tears go into it, it'll still all be worth it.

Looking forward to seeing your work :)

No doubt it'll all be worth it. I'm dangling on the thought of having it fully resprayed when the sills are being done, as I can strip the car in my garage and just send the shell and body parts to be done, it'll cost a fair whack, but it'll be hella perfect once done. So much to thing about with it, and planning the money to do it.

Once it's garaged, more picture updates will be added of work and what now, at the moment there's not much to show. I took an awesome pic before it went to the ring, need to find it and post it up.