ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My MX5!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Yes g40steve on Nutz.
Have you got his number, think it's in his signature on Nutz.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
yeah I'll be able to get his number no problem. Cheers I'll try and get in touch with him tomorrow.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Ah right, unfortunately he was the first person I asked. Hasn't got any 1.8s at the moment.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
So I can get an 80k engine for £320, which sounds more like it to me.

@Goodj Your an OC man, robert maguire? any bad points spring to mind

Listerine & Poledo
not that I've heard of fella.
Typically I go to Barney Bear (?), but if you've got a decent block for a good price, take it.
1.6 or 1.8?.... if the smaller, this could be the perfect time to upgrade....except.....oh yea,then your intake probably wont fit.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
no worries i just searched his name and he came up on the OC so wondered if you new anything of him.

1.8, if it was a 1.6 i wouldn't have had half as much trouble finding an engine.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Haha, its actually surprising how little performance difference there is between the two engines.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Damn right! although i am talking mk1 and not your clearly superior mk2.5 1.8

Listerine & Poledo
In fairness, there was only about 10hp and 15lb/ft difference until they neutered the 1.6.
Then gave the 1.8 some swanky valves to get the 146hp.

But the same swanky valves cause all manner of agro if you want to do anything other that slap an intake and chavzorst on it

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yes vvt is a pain in the arse! Ideal set up is a mk2 head on a mk1 bottom end isn't it.

Listerine & Poledo
Mine would be:

S-VT Engine
Flowed and hi-comp skim on the head.
ITBs
Balanced bottom end
Light-as-air flywheel.
Hydra ECU

sigh

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It does sound very appealing to have an N/A engine, and i was almost certainly going that route until this supercharged one popped up. Maybe i should have stuck to the original plan!

Listerine & Poledo
It's all about the noise for me.
Blower whine
The sound of trumpets sucking down large gulps of air
But not the sound of fans in the exhaust

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I have to say i do enjoy the whine mine makes. It's also only present after about 3.5k so its not annoying when cruising which is nice

Listerine & Poledo
See I dont know what it is, but I get a nice induction whine in the 3-4.5k range, nothing silly, in fact probably not even noticeable from outtside, but nice.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Things are moving forward! Hopefully it'll be back soon
b26872888a91dec224c433497ffbdac2.jpg

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Might be getting it back tomorrow! Exciting times.

Got an update to say the old engine was out and the new one was built up. Should go in tomorrow and then provided it goes ok and drives right I'll get to pick it up

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's with Beaniesport in Milton keynes. I'm just hoping for nothing unexpected now.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
A fair bit :tongueout: although I don't think it's going to cost me anymore to have this done than to have the head gasket done.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I've found that out. I've got them to put on silicone hoses and stiffer engine mounts to make me feel better

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's all going to be plain sailing from here on. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
At least I'll have sailed past you a mile before hand!

I am a bit nervous about it becoming a money pit, I just hope the guy I bought it from didn't miss out all the problems he had in the year it was supercharged on his build thread for it.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It does and it doesn't really. The only trouble I've had is that the coolant hose split and caused a load of damage. And that isn't something you can predict really. It's also not something that is costly to do so he wouldn't sell it over that.

Hopefully I've had my share of bad luck for a while

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's back!! Runs lovely and sounds just as good as before.

going back on Saturday for a belt to be tightened as its started to chirp a little after a bit of driving i guess it's just settled back down now it's been driven. But the new engine isn't a dud and it feels as fast as before. Success!