ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My MX5!

Listerine & Poledo
Even if you could match or better your martes Coraddo, you still lose, because he's got a Corrado VR6, and you have a MX5 1.6.
Thems the brakes :smile:

That said, the VR6 was 180hp out of the box, pulling a 1200kg front-drive chassis.
an S-VT wont be much short of that, pace wise. It may not have an auto-raising wing, but the roof comes off :wink:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Still though the 1.8 is around 130 BHP I have been really thinking about getting an MX5 to practice going sideways as a mate at work got one and he loves it. only problem, im 6ft 4/5 with the roof up i struggle to get out comfortably and not sure if i could actually drive it

I'm 6ft 5 and still manage fine in mine, get one bought :)

Listerine & Poledo
yes, you're paying scene tax hand-over-fist.
If you're going to look at y0! mad JDM-only import W0w! cars then that will happen.
Not to mention that the mk2.5 facelift doesn't look right on that RS either, for some reason.

Let me make this really easy for you:
Would sir prefer a 5-speed gearbox
or a 6-speed

Both within 30 miles, both dith diffs (y0), both with S-VT and both 150hp

EDIT - Wow, that Penisheads advert lists stuff as if it never come to the UK. The only thing the RS had which S-VT didn't was 250rpm at the top end. But given you'll need to feed it 98Ron to get the 160hp it claims, is it truly worth the scene-tax over a 150hp S-VT that runs tesco value fuel?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
You make good points, an now i don't know what to do. Damn you and your logic Goodj, i was pretty set on a turbo before you came along.

Maybe i need to test drive a sport at a dealer

Listerine & Poledo
As per my PM.
Come out in Listerine for a few min, it's not going to be a night-and-day difference buy you should notice a 40hp increase...that said, she's carrying some weight, so maybe not :)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
So as of Sunday, I will have some boost in my life!

Decided I should swap for a mk1 and then build a capable track car, and on Monday this popped up for sale and I snapped it up. Nice spec and good condition body mean it's the perfect start point. Obviously the supercharger is a bonus!
c545e18fae9a031f81fe9f9a46ef5f7d.jpg
a9503361ce760a6cd949f03be083ff47.jpg

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's a really nice car, much more classic and subtle than my previous but I'll keep it a long those lines hopefully.

I hadn't really considered Superchargers until now but really enjoyed going out in it today. The noise is and torque is awesome

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It's a really nice car, much more classic and subtle than my previous but I'll keep it a long those lines hopefully.

I hadn't really considered Superchargers until now but really enjoyed going out in it today. The noise is and torque is awesome

I love the look of that, how much will a decent boosted mx5 set you back roughly?

Listerine & Poledo
Anywhere from about £1500, depending on if you want a good one, or just a boosted MX5 for lolskisdz

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
You'll struggle for a mk1. They appear to be going up in price and you will probably be hard pushed to find a decent boosted one for less than 3k imo.

I've paid just over 3k for that. I'd just keep your eyes peeled on nutz and other places and make sure you get a half decent one.

Listerine & Poledo
You'll struggle for a mk1. They appear to be going up in price and you will probably be hard pushed to find a decent boosted one for less than 3k imo.

I've paid just over 3k for that. I'd just keep your eyes peeled on nutz and other places and make sure you get a half decent one.
There's plenty of sheddy Mk.1 ones out there, from £300 upwards. Boost kits from ebay at £1500 upwards.
The factory-standard ones are commanding higher prices because they really are becoming rarer by the day, thanks to the kids.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah I see what you mean. You can have a 'stage 2' setup installed for less than 2 grand if you provide turbo and injectors. Which isn't bad.

But to get a good condition standard mk1 your looking at 2 grand I'd say.

I must not be one of the kids now I've got a respectable mk1

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Yeah I did look into 2.5's but I decided against has I was going to be on track a bit. This ones actually quite comfortable inside at the moment, plus the ride on the meisterR coilovers is really good. Much better than my current spax stuff.

Listerine & Poledo
yeah, if it's for track then may as well go for the lightweight Mk.1

has this one been braced? That'd help make things more comfortable but without having to run on ultra-soft settings

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's got some extra bracing as standard as its a 1.8/special edition, but it hasn't got any aftermarket bracing apart from the roll bar.

Listerine & Poledo
You should have a front strut brace and a cabin brace across the rear shelf as standard. (Mk.2 had a stronger rear shelf so they ditched the cabin brace)
Have a look underneath when you can, chassis rails and a brace between them would be perfect :)
There's rear bulkhead under-bracers and upper-rear bracers that are also handy (the upper ones would be obvious as they'll be sticking out in the boot), but then you're really going to have to dial the oversteer out of the suspension.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Cheers,

I know the brace across the rear shelf is gone but has been replaced with the roll bar and the front strut brace is gone as it won't fit with the supercharger I think. Will have to look out for the others.

If you want braces, the only ones worth having are the P5 frame rails, and maybe a Beatrush PPF brace if you don't mind increased NVH. They make serious improvements. Those added to a TRLane roll bar and it'll be stiffened up ten fold. I've got a perma-mounted hardtop which also helps, but to be honest in hindsight I'd rather stick with the soft top.
I've got meisters on mine, you might want to consider stiffer springs if you're taking it on track - they're definitely a road orientated setup out the box. Other than that, get some sticky tyres on it and enjoy [emoji106]

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Cheers for the info, frame rails are definitely something I'm looking at but I'll probably do a couple of trackdays first to try and get an idea of what needs doing most.

Can't wait to pick it up tommorow!

Listerine & Poledo
If P5 rails are a little rich, just find a mk2.5 in a breakers and get all the underbracing from that, as it does exactly the same thing but isn't shiny.
Given it's hidden under the car anyway,
No problem is found.
Perma hard-top? I know it can be, but why? Just buy a 200SX Surely? @JoeyD