ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My latest shed review...

Had it for a couple of weeks now so thought I best get some pictures up and share my thoughts...
Its a July 2004 Roadster Coupe 80, its got a few toys on it as part of the 'sports pack' which include the larger wheels, heated leather, paddle shift, boost and temp gauge, 3 spoke steering wheel and aircon plus probably other stuff I can't think off, only has 35k with full merc service history.
There are a few horror stories on these but I had a conventional smart car a year or so ago and it was faultless and that had 60k and had been mapped for 30k of that so I wasn't concerned!!!

Good Points

- It looks fantastic (well in my opinion!)
-Im getting 275 miles to £30 of unleaded, I can't be arsed to work it out but it seems good!
-Handling. This is both a good and bad point, it feels very alive, there is no body roll and it corners flat, the steering is a little over assisted and the throttle responce abit slow but it can be alot of fun even though your probably not actually going that fast.
-Exclusivity, I like cars where fellow owners give you a wave!
-It doesn't leak surprisingly!

Bad Points
-Handling. Great when your in the mood, not when its 6.30am, dark, raining and your trying to get to work and your broadside on a small roundabout. The short wheelbase makes it quite snappy but it is surprisingly easy to get the back end out.
-Storage. Enough said.
-Getting in and out is abit of a pain, especially when getting your suit trousers dirty on the sill.
-Its hard work to drive at any pace, the 172 and even my 306hdi to some extent you could drive swiftly effortlessly.. This take effort to keep on the boil. You feel quite vulnerable being so low down .
-Targa top, great concept but its a pain to stow in the car and when it rains its no good at home in the garage!
-Expensive, its worth about £6K which is alot for a 5yr old toy/city car.

Overall, great fun little car, cheap to run but perhaps not the best winter car choice/ daily driver.

disastra018.jpg

disastra021.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You my friend are a hero!!

It takes big cahoonas for a man to own one of these! Cahoonas I don't posess!

PH1 iceburg
These are going to be worth a few quid in the future apparently because they didnt make them for long. Only thing i heard is the engine isnt much good for much past 50k.

Cheers for the feedback guys, I probably won't keep it long, just always wanted to try one and this came up for a good price, will probably cash in when the sun comes out.

It'll do for now! Everything is very small in general, the sunvisor are about the size of a bar of dairy milk! You wouldn't get a fat chick in it! Its a good laugh but im not sure you would want to use it every day, I drove a spankers Clio Dci at work the other day and thought this is bloody lovely!! As you know I get bored very quickly!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fair play to you mate!

(And knowing you you'll make some dollars on it too!!)

Is it quick? Is the gearbox as bad as JC makes out?

I don't honestly know, it feels quite pokey in the lower gears and it gets up to a ton easily enough but I haven't pushed it further, I expect its probably Zetec S pace, feels quicker though but then all turbo cars do.
Wastegate makes a cool noise, and with the paddle shift its all about the fun factor in a sort of comedy way really.
I can't really fault the gearbox, i ve had a smart before and I know what they are like you can make it do what you want if you know how, i.e lifting off and it will change up, quick jab of the throttle and it changes down. If you want to drive fast then you have to have it in manual, in manual its faultless, in full auto it can be quite hesitant but when your in stop start traffic or just cruising accross town who cares!

Fair play to you mate!

(And knowing you you'll make some dollars on it too!!)

Nothing wrong with abit of free motoring mate :eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're starting to sound like that fat bloke off used car roadshow! lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh please.

Everyone needs a 405 diesel in their life. I love mine! ;)