ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My ITB'd 172 cup fast road/ track car project

Trafic 140dci
Ahhh I've just bought all the bits I need to cut my bonnet for aerocatches - so I'll trim the support braces away for the filter too :)

You going on track at all this year? I wouldn't mind comparing cars in the metal lol
Yeah hopefully quite a few track days, snetterton, Bedford, brands hatch mainly :)

Only thing that will let te car down is me lol

But of an update DannyR came round and sorted my TPS sensor, car is running bit better now, so got my car booked in at TDF now for balancing, timing to be checked and a remap, I'm hoping for at least 200bhp on there rollers, made 193 when te ITB's were fitted and got a new exhaust, 182 manifold, Decat, bigger trumpets, and slam panel removed so an extra 7bhp should be easy I guess lol

Gonna give it a clean later and get some nice pictures :)

Trafic 140dci
Well the engine bay is now FINISHED, well apart from a coil pack mount, although i just put a bolt straight through one of the holes and it's doing the job well :)

6587185361_b60778cf6b_b.jpg

6587184127_0cd1b42f87_b.jpg

6587182583_322b289819_b.jpg

6587181405_81d5ff7b14_b.jpg

6587180303_bd712d3a71_b.jpg

6587179123_fd484d33f6_b.jpg

Just gave my car it's first clean in 2/3 months, didn't use tyre shine as i'm sick of having to clean it off the paint work after driving the car.

6587186757_b6f0c0e19c_b.jpg

Picture of my battery behind my seat.

6587188137_878a0b457e_b.jpg

I'm going to go try and get the rest of the tar off later, really cant be bothered to do it, but needs doing.

Trafic 140dci
I like! Battery not fit under the seat?
It does, its just my battery cable sat lovelly in the cable holder things on the side of car so made the cable neater by putting it there, and it was easiest to earth putting it there, should of put it about 50mm further to driver's side as it's close to the seat, but it will do :)

Thanks Phil, just replied to one of your old thread's as today i'm trying to tidy the interior loom and want to do something with the airbag ECU.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looks spot on mate, remove the tar though :) I saved this much weight by removing all mine (minus the huge bit on the roof) from the old car:

IMG00256-20100605-1239.gif

Trafic 140dci
Thanks mate :) i'm really pleased, just want that coil pack mount sorted and i'll be happy, some nice hoses would be good too, but that's to much money for something that just looks good.

Done it today :D glad that job is over! i don't think there was as much in a cup as other clio's tho, but every little helps :) was speaking to DannyR he said to avoid taking the tar off the roof, although as i pulled the headliner off most of it came off too - bonus :D got a nice wide putty knife and the girlfriends hair dryer was a doddle. So i'm glad that job is out of the way. Also disconnected the rear loom and re-routed it through all the chassis gaps to look a bit neater and remove the cable tracking, so not a bad day.

Got a metal cutting Dremel blade on the way so Friday i'm gonna cut some bit's off underside of the bonnet, and all the little lugs in the back of the car to save some weight, so then i will be past the point of turning it back to a road car :)

It does, its just my battery cable sat lovelly in the cable holder things on the side of car so made the cable neater by putting it there, and it was easiest to earth putting it there, should of put it about 50mm further to driver's side as it's close to the seat, but it will do :)

Ahh right, i plan on putting a battery under the seat, i thought if it didnt fit under your seats it would neve fit under mine, as theyre so low :)

This reminds me I Need to do tar removal also!

Make a better job with the dremmel than you did on your slam pannel ;) i planned on just hacking/hitting my interior lugs off! :p

Trafic 140dci
Thanks Will :)

Ahh right, i plan on putting a battery under the seat, i thought if it didnt fit under your seats it would neve fit under mine, as theyre so low :)

This reminds me I Need to do tar removal also!

Make a better job with the dremmel than you did on your slam pannel ;) i planned on just hacking/hitting my interior lugs off! :p
It would of done just wanted to put it there :) That was a angle grinder, same with the underside of my bonnet ;) so i've now got a Dremel and i'm going to tidy up my previous handy work :p

SQ5
You need to drop the subframe which is a bit of an arse. I'd just take the engine out and swap over. Took mine out today in 2 hours so it's just as quick :)

Trafic 140dci
I'm back from TDF after having a full diagnostics check, ITB's balanced and a Remap.

First of all Matt got the throttle bodies balanced, must say they were out a fair bit, but after seeing Matt do it i think it's well worth me investing in the air flow meter and doing it my self, Matt showed me what to do.

Matt Then had a check of all the Valves with a smart little Key hole camera, all were in fairly good condition apart from when of my exhaust valves wasn't seating to well, but he said it wasn't bad enough to worry about, he said the engine seemed in very good condition for an engine with 85k on it so i was happy :) He then done a pressure test and again wasn't perfect but was very good for an 85k engine. After that he checked the timing, unfortunately it was slightly out, but not bad enough to justify re doing the timing. Not to mention the car is running relatively fine as it was. So Matt got the car back together and then it was onto the Dyno.

Matt got the car onto the Dyno and he done a few run's and done a few tweek's to get it running 'OK' to go from there and the car made 200.7bhp and around 167.9ftlb of torque so i was already very happy, Matt then set to working his Magic on the car and got the Map to be as good as he could and the end result....

202.7bhp
169.7ftlb

Car also made 172bhp at the wheel's and the minimum torque it made was 148ftlb, considering the last time it was mapped my peak torque it made was about 151ftlb so bags of torque and couldn't be happy, had a good day, Matt was very informative and helpful. I just can't believe how the few simple changes i've made has brought so much power out of the car!

Here she is on the rollers

The proof of my power:

6653303945_ba4e00b72c_b.jpg

My car on TDF's rollers:

6653303933_5bb07135c2_b.jpg

Obviously there was a bit more to the day than this but I'm just summarizing :) I'm very happy with the car got some 2118's and A048's coming next week then Snetterton on the 21st of Jan for My 21st :)

Thanks

Lewis

Last edited by a moderator:
  Trafic 140dci
Thanks it's a credit to Matt if anyone, it's amazing how a few little changes, and a quality Mapper can get some serious power out of your car. I'm very happy :)

Good to see that it all went well! Sounds like a really good result and good gains. I didn't end up going today on my way back from London as I don't think much progress has been made on my car since I was last there what with Xmas and everything. May end up bumping into you on the 21st if mine is ready in time :)

Trafic 140dci
Good to see that it all went well! Sounds like a really good result and good gains. I didn't end up going today on my way back from London as I don't think much progress has been made on my car since I was last there what with Xmas and everything. May end up bumping into you on the 21st if mine is ready in time :)
I said to Matt is that Ash off Cliosport's car (thinking that was your name from your screen name lol!) he replied no it's a chap called James lol, must say your car is absolutly stunning, love the roll cage, bet your can't wait to get it on the track!

Haha yes the Ash part of my screen name is from my surname Ashton and first name is James lol Thank you very much, I really can't wait at all just want to drive it :)!

Trafic 140dci
Haha yes the Ash part of my screen name is from my surname Ashton and first name is James lol Thank you very much, I really can't wait at all just want to drive it :)!
Haha wouldn't be the first time i've done that was calling D4vy, Dave when i first met him, didn't realise his name is actually Matt Davy lol! Bet you can't it's one epic car, look forward to seeing it on the track :)

GSXR + KDX220
Great results Lewis!!

Where you getting the A048s from? are they new? Got my ARB fitted now, very pleased with it, it transforms the car!

Trafic 140dci
I'm buying them from a member off here, brand new, but a lot cheaper than the shops so I'm happy, yeah it's a great bit of kit very happy with mine:)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Great result mate, bet you're chuffed! The bays looking epic as well, good work :)

GSXR + KDX220
As its a Saturday I may pop down to Snetterton for a butchers and watch for a bit! Has Matt (d4vy) still got his Meg?

Trafic 140dci
Is that power just with bodies or have you got cams too?

Seems really high. 182s usually make about 195 on bodies. You must be well happy with that!
Just throttle bodies, and as said my engine is far from perfect one valve not sitting right, and timing is slightly out. Although i have got a decat, 182 manifold, and Oreca Group N exhaust aswell, but it's mainly due to Matt's mapping i think he can do these with his eye's closed now. Car's he fit ITB's to generally get 195-205 :) With the smaller trumpets, 172 manifold, cat and slam panel still fitted, i made 192.3bhp and 151ftlb of torque when they were first fitted.

Crikey. Think I might get mine mapped before I buy cams then

Was only hoping for 185-190 from mine but I've got same setup as you near enough
Are you on an omex?

Trafic 140dci
Crikey. Think I might get mine mapped before I buy cams then

Was only hoping for 185-190 from mine but I've got same setup as you near enough
Are you on an omex?
Yeah exactly the same :) Get it mapped and go from there, tbh I'm not going down the cam road i'm more than happy with the power i have now!