ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first R27 question!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
It's awesome :) Drove it reasonably gentle on the way home - just to get used to it, and have been out for a nice blast now to get really acquainted with it ;)

One question though to other R27/Cup suspension people - how does yours handle the bumps? I found a couple of times if I was booting it round a corner and it was bit bumpy there would be a lot of 'feedback' through the wheel - sort of shaking left and right. Is this just something to get used to as it's quite stiff? It was fine blasting off roundabouts even with quite sharp exits flat out in 2nd on the new smooth bypass. Made no difference whether the ESP was on or off. It has 2 years warranty left of course, and also has just had Honda's full check over they do to their approved used cars so I'd be surprised if there was any suspension issue as that would hopefully have been picked up.

What does everyone think?

Dan

Clio F1 R27
I find the dampings pretty good when just rolling around town.

Depends on how hard you're hitting the bumps mate. To be honest if you're hammering it round a corner and you hit a pothole you are gonna get quite a bit of feedback.

How excessive is it? Mine's pretty pointed most of the time..

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It just didn't feel 'right'. Fine on smooth rounds and round town etc. Maybe I should pop it to the dealer just for piece of mind...

Clio F1 R27
It just didn't feel 'right'. Fine on smooth rounds and round town etc. Maybe I should pop it to the dealer just for piece of mind...

It should feel right mate, if it's an R27 and it's setup properly it should feel really tight.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? Very important.

Also tracking?

Turbo LY R27
^^^+1

When i got all 4 of mine changed the tyre pressures were all over the place and felt awful. Didnt handle right at all, but when i changed them it made a big difference.

or

Hold the steering wheel with both hands lol:eek:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I shall check the pressures tmrw :) Can anyone tell me off hand what they're meant to be...?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's no so much potholes as any bumps really - almost feels as if there is no damping on the drivers side. Rang the dealer and FWIW they're gonna take a look over it this afternoon - guy said someone would come out with me. I know a nice bumpy stretch just near there which should show it up.

Dan

Tappd'd RS
You'll love the handling of the R27 - best handling car I've had i think.

Get it checked out that way you'll be able to enjoy it with the piece of mind :)

Cheers.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It could be that you're still in Vee-Mode, Dan? ;)

Being in the Vee feels like its got enough weight to steam-roller any lumps and bumps out of the road. The R27 will be a fair bit lighter and probably more sensitive to anything other than ultra-smooth tarmac?

Just my 10p worth as a guess.

D.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I thought that too TBH Darren heh!

Took it to the dealer today, me and the mechanic went round the block, he agreed instantly it was a knackered shock. Got out, pushed down on each corner and it was very obvious. Getting done under warranty on Tuesday - offside shock absorber and some bearing/bushing thing that they're changing too. Result.

So, I was at the dealer 21 hours after picking the car up, and it's already booked it for it's first repair, and surely ONLY Renault can make shocks with a life span of 12k hehe! Nah I'm not really fussed to be fair, I have no idea how it was treated for the past year I guess, the shock failure could've been the fault of the previous owner. So I'll let it off this one hehe :)

Although, the Honda garage I got it from said it had been through their workshop for a thorough check over before sale heh - confidence inspiring :)

Dan

Last edited:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Well I already thought the handling was epic hehe - so it can only follow that with it working right, I'll be even MORE impressed :D