ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first attempt at wrapping - LIME GREEN BMW 335D!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yep that's the one matey

Real thick material though so a difficult one to work with for our first attempt - the thinner stuff is much much easier to cut.

Things like the aerial took me about an hour to wrap perfectly. You lose so much time on small bits like that

Yeah it is thick, between 110-170µm. The 20000 range is only 80µm, but i think that's the gloss range.

Megane R26
Yeah it is thick, between 110-170µm. The 20000 is only 80µm, but i think that's the gloss range.

Indeed, and you can really feel the difference!

The 80µm stuff is 30µm 'gloss coating' and this is where the 'orange peel' exists. This can be wet sanded which is what I'm going to do to my Golf - white gloss and wet sand.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, and you can really feel the difference!

The 80µm stuff is 30µm 'gloss coating' and this is where the 'orange peel' exists. This can be wet sanded which is what I'm going to do to my Golf - white gloss and wet sand.

That's pretty impressive to be able to correct a film. I'd love to see that being done in person.

Megane R26
That's pretty impressive to be able to correct a film. I'd love to see that being done in person.

Feel free to pop down when we do it.

I've machine polished a clear vinyl'd Nissan GTR before, there's a write up on DW somewhere.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I did not know you could wet sand it mate. If that's true then i'm all for gloss wraps, as standard they look shocking.

clio 172
mine was the monaco blue ph2 172 in the yard,yeah there is silver 172 in yard owned by mark @toybox developements (nextdoor) that needs a bit of work,thats up for sale for 400

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It was three of us working on this with two tutors so pretty intensive for 3 days.

Taking it apart was about 3 hours - not as difficult as I'd assumed it would be, but this will obviously vary from car to car. We then spent some time on other films and colours practicing before starting to work on this as its over £20 per metre!

Doing it properly really does take time, as does cutting away from panel edges properly leaving enough film to wrap around the edge and critically doing so in a very straight and uniformed way. Then there's the smaller intricate bits which were all done perfectly such as the washer jet covers, tow bar covers, door handles (2 pieces), door shuts etc.

Sure, you can do a bonnet in under an hour, but they are extremely straight forward. Bits like the rear plate number recess were done in two parts - upper piece first (around the lighting for the plate) then the other piece covering the rest of that panel - you can't stretch it enough and keep it looking consistent to wrap into the entire recess. To then cut that overlap line over the underlying film (and of course paint) takes real precision and skill and can't be rushed.

Paul who trained us said he'd quote 2.5 days for this car normally and he's been doing it for 4 years.

Christ, do you have any pics of the joins? Where two pieces had to be used?

clio sold :(
Rob we may just take you up on that offer but would need your car for a good 3 days...

Next up is my Golf Edition 30, a Clio 200, Audi A3 and a load of bonnets!

Pricing wise I think we need to start lowish as we're new to the market and build up a reputation - do it the same way as detailing. The problem is the film cost - so gloss white can be as cheap as £10 a metre, but something like this green is £25 and with 14m or so over a car, then labour for 2-3 days for 2 people, its never going to be cheap, but is of course a lot less than a full respray, plus protects your original paintwork from damage and abuse.

Soooo you want to start Low and do my clio cheap :p that green is amazing

Merc A class
Great work Russ!

Lets do a trade wrap the clio and il photograph your cars ;) DEAL! keep up the good work mate.

Megane R26
Paul is awesome!

He's having to correct quite a few GTR's which haven't been so thoroughly wrapped elsewhere - he had one in whilst I was there.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
just seen this, looks good i think.
i'll have a read of the full write up now.

where abouts in walsall you from?

Exige V6 / Fiesta ST
I'm really interested in wrapping my car, but as a keen detailer, I'm not sure if I'd get frustrated with it.

Do you have to clean them any differently or can you still use all of the usual products that you would on an un-wrapped car? I'm thinking products like Tardis, Iron-X, Auto Finese Tipple, etc.

Also, what's the cost of a wrap (roughly)?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nice write up!

Looks like some incredible work!

I wouldn't mind my 182 wrapped in storm grey ha! ;)