ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY DYING CLIO :-(

my clio unfortunately is acting like its on its last legs. it has been at my local renault garage for 3weeks now and they cannot fix my reoccuring problem!

When driving along the engine power will randomly go. I can put my foot to the floor and it wont go anywhere, even if i rev it in neutral it wont go above 3000rpm! Its happened to me 6 times in the past month now! Whenever it occurs 2 lights always come up on the dash. The engine management light and the diesel coil/ossciloscope light. Its got nothing to to with the diesel coil light because my car is a april 2003 reg 1.2 16v petrol.

So far its had new spark plugs, throttle position sensor, new engine control unit, new throttle pedal assembly and had the coil pack cleaned up but nothing has worked! its still sitting in the workshop!

any advice and ideas will be greatly appreciated cheers guys and girls!

K20 EG Hatch

knowin renault they willl probly say ur 17s have put stress on the engine and killed it! Just demand a new car from renault uk, give em a call!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

wot seems to be happenig is you car is goign into "limp" mode.

thsi is where the car basicly is limited to 3k rpm

and a few other things so that u can limp to the garage.

Not sure how to resolve it if they have tried that amnount of things!!

leon cupra R

yep demand a new car, its pointless you being without a car for sooo long, tell erm you need a car for ya day to day useage and them trying to fix it is giving you alot of hassle trying to get to work and other places you need to be at

Sounds like th carsgoing into safe mode when it finds a problem (sounds like its emmisions) try another dealer if the one your using at the moment cannot fix the problem.

Ring Renault Uk and tell them whats going on and that its unacceptable etc you should get some form of compo (free service?) and they should help kick the garage in question into shape.

The diesel light is a emmsions light I belive. But it also checks the coils ie come on when theres a problem.

Im suprised they havnt checked the throttle body and cleaned/ replaced it. Plus check/replace the air filter and exhaust.

lambda sensor?

in my V6 i had an intermittent problem of a light appearing on the dash, it was the anti pollutuon sensor (lambda) or whatever the handbook calls it. when the light came on it felt like it wasnt running on 6 cylinders and was very lumpy. i had to switch off and on again then it would go away for a while.

do these modern day clios have an EGT probe? maybe its sensing that the zortst is too hot and shutting down to safe mode?

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 14 August 2004

lambda sensor?
do these modern day clios have an EGT probe? maybe its sensing that the zortst is too hot and shutting down to safe mode?

[/QUOTE]
EGT are only used in the diesels as far as I remember.

Have you tried the diagnostic check by the way to see what the error code is.

To do this turn the ignition on (dont turn the engine on) whilst holding the trip computer and them all the dash lights go though a diagnostic ie run up and down there scales then tap the trip computer button twice once tells you the fuel left in the tank in liters the second time shows any electronic ECU logged faults in the form of a code if you find out the code post it and Im sure someone will check it out for you.

no its not been decatted mate but iv got an exhaust on it from cat back, got it fitted in march from the guys at exhausts uk in sheffield but the fault has only come around in the past 5 weeks!

ST

Quote: Originally posted by 03 clio on 17s on 15 August 2004

no its not been decatted mate but iv got an exhaust on it from cat back, got it fitted in march from the guys at exhausts uk in sheffield but the fault has only come around in the past 5 weeks!
Unlucky mate, was only askin if it was decatted as ive got a full stainless cat back on my 53 plate 1.2 16v, but hopin this wont affect mine.

i hope it doesnt affect yours either mate, its been a nightmare since it started happening. trouble is iv got to drive 2hrs to get to gatwick airport a week on wednesday cos im sodding off to florida for 2 weeks

182, GTR, C63

you got the exhaust done in sheffield was the place called Ascar? thats where ive had the last 2 exhausts fitted now. Need to go back as one of the custom mounts has come loose. Where you from? im from rotherham.

Hope you get ur car sorted mate it isnt on.

tell me about it mate, i work for mercedes benz and they gave me a poxy smart car to run round in! suppose its better than the bus tho.

yeh it was ascar mate my mate had one from there on his 206 and the mountings went rusty but mine are ok! im from northampton by the way

Lionel Richie

mine did that!!!!! apparently was (and this is a quote from the dolly behind the desk)

"you had an air leak from your ECU"

its not a sodding airship luv!!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

that could be slightly true. the ecu is bolted to the rear of the inlet manifold on a 1.2. one side of the ecu has fins on it and that sits inside the manifold chamber (must be to keep it cool). the rubber seal around it may have leaked.

To do this turn the ignition on (dont turn the engine on) whilst holding the trip computer and them all the dash lights go though a diagnostic ie run up and down there scales then tap the trip computer button twice once tells you the fuel left in the tank in liters the second time shows any electronic ECU logged faults in the form of a code if you find out the code post it and Im sure someone will check it out for you.

good morning peeps, iv done the test like edde said and after one press of the button it said i had 29litres of fuel left like edde said. the second tap came up with 0.0 on the cluster, then the third tap came up with this

t---

im guessing this is some kind of fault code anyone know?
[/QUOTE]

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Saxos suffer from this. Its a huge problem that Citroen deny, along with the crappy idling and wanting to stall while sitting at lights say.

The flat spotting was unreal when the car was warming up. Youd drive it fine and get half a mile down the road and the car would just start slowing down even with your foot to the floor. Id stick my foot on the clutch to out it in neutral and roll the car, while sticking my right foot to the floor. Nothing. Then suddenly it would spring into life about 10 seconds later, and be fine until the next day.

I took mine back to the car dealer (non Citroen) to have a look. They say they increased the fuel pressure slightly. Since then, the car still idles lumpy but has never stalled. The flat spotting seems to have disappeared.

Shhh

I would give the garage a ring, or nip in and have a chat with them. Ask them what they have changed, and what they think it can be, and ask for a forcast for when the car will be fixed. I would then take the list of things thats been changed, and ring renault uk.

I would explain your problem, and how long its been going on and you were asking for advice on what you could do to aid the problem. (no way demand a new car). Then inform them that you have been given a forecast date. Ask them for what can be done if the car fails to meet the date..and then ask what can be done as you have no car.

You maybe offered a car from the front car park, with same miles etc. If you get a new car, they will bill you for the difference in the new car..ie 04 clio, and the 53..03 clio you have. If the car was only a few weeks old then a new for old, but not with a car into its first year of warranty.

Also the warranty is split. The 1st year is a full warranty, and the 2nd 3rd year is like a extra warranty thrown in. Id have a read of the warrantly booklet for the difference, and see what it says.. For warned is for armed..!

If you want a new car, id be expecting to pay the difference, your gonna get one off the forecourt, as its not the dealers fault their mechanics are crap. Renault uk will authorise for a direct swap. Same spec, same age etc... You could say that the engine may have been worn to excess from the previous user...but...wanna new car...get ya cash card out..

Difference between a 53 clio and a 04 clio...ooh... (53 clio..£6200..?) (04 clio..? £7700..?)

Yikes me thinks...all they do is sell your car on...once its put back to normal..and fixed

320d M Sport

same thing happened to mine.

the problem is when the 2 lights come on and it dies, u turn the engine off then on again. this clears the fault, the ECU doesnt store it.

What the IDIOTS at reno need to do is get the lights to come on (floor it, thatll do it) and then get it back to Reno (with the dash warning lights still on) and link it to their computer.

I had to take mine back 4 times for this, in the end i got photographic proof that there was a problem, left the keys on the counter and demanded they fix it. Turns out it was the throttle potentiometre. I send a huge complaint letter/email/phonecall to Reno uk and they did nothing, wouldnt even re-imburse my petrol to and from Renault.

Theyre a disgrace, i bet they told u its an isolated incident hence why they cant fix it? Thats bollox. Tell them to Ring Reno Altrincham and speak to Rob the Service manager, give him my reg ( P44DYS ) and theyll tell them what they need to do to fix it.

Never gettin another reno again now, thats just made my mind up.

Elise/VX220/R26

Id never get another renno, their service is diabolical, Ive had loads of problems with knocking suspension and they are just incapable of fixing it.

320d M Sport

its a shame eh.

wat annoys me is u read people on here getting free services andd stuff just cos they moaned! i had genuine problems, kicked off big time and got treated like a peice of sh*t. reno can go fcuk themselves from now on!!

williams and trophy

thats y i wont trust the dodgy fukkers wi mine lol

but same can be said for a lot of dealerships

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

could be a wiring problem. for the warning lights to come on there must be a fault registered to put the dealer in the right direction.

320d M Sport

jay

when u turn the engine over again tho the lights go off and it doesnt get recorded. u got to plug the laptop thing in while the lights are on! which means driving it till it breaks, then try to get it to a reno gge.

its a joke!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

apart from the odd rare case the ecu records all faults so there is a log even if the faults not there. there is only the odd fault which if it goes away the ecu erases the log.

hi, new to this forum!

only had my clio 2 weeks and its broken down 4 times, exaclty same probs as you, did you get it sorted in the end? so mar the dealer has fitted a new throttle body and re-programmed the ECU, it seemed ok for 3 days and it played up again tonight! did the fault code thing with the trip comp and got 0.0 and t---.

thanks 4 any help recd

dan