ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 205 burnt to a crisp :(

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Well so much for 'this one's a keeper' I was woken by frantic neighbours at 1am Monday morning to this.....

9C3F4E90-AE23-424E-AD5B-134AE4C45659.jpg

My pride and joy in a ball of flames on the drive. Fire Service and Police were on scene in 5 minutes to extinguish the flames but it was too late. The 205 was completely gutted.

Thankfully no damage to my 182 and miraculously only a slightly melted side repeater on the Mrs Shogun.

A neighbours van had also been broken into. It is clear someone had smashed the rear drivers side window and I believe tried pushing it off the drive before maybe the steering lock engaged. I think they then decided to torch it.

The remains.... devastated.

C6FBD950-CE88-483B-8319-F0362731E5BD.jpg

7E3F6F53-E9DC-4775-B318-3F8FE0CCF262.jpg

6620CFA0-FFDB-456F-B162-CE845275260C.jpg

Car was recovered on the night. Fire has wrecked my driveway. Police dog arrived on scene and tracked a scent to a nearby village 3 miles away where they arrested a suspect. Cant believe its happened, I live in such a quiet area.

Its in the hands of the insurance now. Im worried how much they will offer me for the car.

How she was before the arson:

4CABA02A-AF04-4C53-82DA-4209D6588948.jpg

FA47211F-DFCB-40DD-82BE-06DF34E9245C.jpg

5E85BB09-D8B7-460C-AED4-3C2C9AA26A09.jpg

I paid £4350 for her in April 2015 which I considered a bargain as I thought she was worth closer to £5k. I only have her insured at market value not agreed value. I think 205 values have risen even since last April. Do you think I'll get back anywhere near what Ive paid? Id be interested in people's thought's/ advice.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats a b*****d that is, people are absolute reptiles.

I hate to say it, but agreed value and market value means theres a fairly good chance you're going to pay for that mistake :(

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
They will offer you pennies when they do, get as many prices as you can from people selling them and send them pics of it to show them how much it will cost you to replace it. My friend had this issue when they offered him 300 quid for a mint calibra turbo eventually got 2700

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why would you spend £4500 on an old car and not spend an extra £150 to have it insured at an agreed value?!!

Harsh lesson learned.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As above, they may give you a cheeky offer. But if it's going to cost you 10x their offer to replace it then it's not treating customers fairly and you can complain. Don't bother with phone calls, just email them and insist they reply to you by email so that you have an easy record of everything.

It's a well documented process and any regulated company are obliged to explain how to complain for you. Try not to worry, although the T&U (trouble and upset) compensation for lost sleep caused by stress of an incident is £250 IIRC... So maybe you should start worrying about it now ;)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Perhaps they should smash the guy that did it in and maybe set him on fire, see how he takes it...

Can't stand this sort of thing. We seem to be breeding a whole generation of these kind of scum bags sadly.

Utter c**ts. That looked fairly mint too.

I still remember when it happened to my first MX5. It's the absolute worst feeling. Annoyingly they never found the c**ts who did mine, I'm still paying for it now years later in terms of expensive insurance too.

I should really check what I insure my 205 for. I know I got an agreed valuation of some sort when I first started insuring it with Greenlight and modifications are on a like for like basis with each one having a figure against it for replacement.

As you say 205 values have increased and even though mines not half as nice as yours, I'd like to think the insured value would leave me in a position to be able to replace it with another.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Jesus wept. That's a right shitter. Good job they have a suspect, but keep us updated if he is charged.

As has been said, start collecting for sale adds (don't use ebay, it's w**k) from the likes of AT and PH, maybe owners forums etc.

330i. E30 Touring.
Horrible.

You'll do just fine from the insurance if you play hardball though. You need to be able to replace your example with one that's of equal condition - fight for that.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What a waste, hope you get a half decent pay out so you can try to find another one.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Love the 205gti.Hope who did it gets a pasting.Good 205gti s are through the roof now.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awful mate, so sorry to see/hear about that!

If you need any advice, re the settlement figure PM away. You're entitled to market value.

182 ff
Well so much for 'this one's a keeper' I was woken by frantic neighbours at 1am Monday morning to this.....

9C3F4E90-AE23-424E-AD5B-134AE4C45659.jpg

My pride and joy in a ball of flames on the drive. Fire Service and Police were on scene in 5 minutes to extinguish the flames but it was too late. The 205 was completely gutted.

Thankfully no damage to my 182 and miraculously only a slightly melted side repeater on the Mrs Shogun.

A neighbours van had also been broken into. It is clear someone had smashed the rear drivers side window and I believe tried pushing it off the drive before maybe the steering lock engaged. I think they then decided to torch it.

The remains.... devastated.

C6FBD950-CE88-483B-8319-F0362731E5BD.jpg

7E3F6F53-E9DC-4775-B318-3F8FE0CCF262.jpg

6620CFA0-FFDB-456F-B162-CE845275260C.jpg

Car was recovered on the night. Fire has wrecked my driveway. Police dog arrived on scene and tracked a scent to a nearby village 3 miles away where they arrested a suspect. Cant believe its happened, I live in such a quiet area.

Its in the hands of the insurance now. Im worried how much they will offer me for the car.

How she was before the arson:

4CABA02A-AF04-4C53-82DA-4209D6588948.jpg

FA47211F-DFCB-40DD-82BE-06DF34E9245C.jpg

5E85BB09-D8B7-460C-AED4-3C2C9AA26A09.jpg

I paid £4350 for her in April 2015 which I considered a bargain as I thought she was worth closer to £5k. I only have her insured at market value not agreed value. I think 205 values have risen even since last April. Do you think I'll get back anywhere near what Ive paid? Id be interested in people's thought's/ advice.
you seem to have all the pictures, hopefully of inside too,you have proof of the condition, if you have other cars insurance with them, you can use that to try to get a better off..

as for the slime who burnt it,why burn it? they get nothing out of doing it... cars like that need be covered up and a wheel clamp or in a garage, so no bugger can see them...they couldn't be professional thiefs , or it would of been took,bet it was just, so called joy riding knobs..

182 ff
Why would you spend £4500 on an old car and not spend an extra £150 to have it insured at an agreed value?!!

Harsh lesson learned.
we cant all look into the future,maybe he lives in a quiet area,and maybe has never had any trouble before, or maybe you forget to fill ,the form the insurance sends you..i hasn't filled in mine yet,if I had a car like that, it would be covered up and parked in front of the other 2 cars.get them pop up barriers, set in the drive way.

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Thanks for the kind comments/ advice. Reason I insured it market value was because (wrongly maybe) I believed agreed value policies were more suited to cars who's values FAR exceed the market value. I.e those that have had total nut/bolt resto's or the likes of a 10k mile prime example.

Mine was a really nice, honest rust/ mod free example that had been cared for since new (took months to find and more difficult to get hold of than you'd expect) Certainly no concourse £10k plus car but Id like to think its worth at least what I paid for it? I.e market value. Ive got dozens of photo's of the car along with the ebay add when I bought it in April (including the purchase price)

Im not trying to make money from this, just want to re-coup my losses. What upsets me the most is the fact it's been on the road and cared for 26 years and some asshole wrecked it in a moment of mindless damage.

:rage:

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I'm truly gutted for you. I got my 106gti smashed in about 7 times - I think it obviously came a bit of a target.....

I hate people in this world that do this - I hope someone gets charged for this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453839669.073083.jpg

Miss this car