ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1st Clio - 172 Cup, hopefully track day car!

Thought I'd throw a few pictures up of my new to me Clio 172 Cup. I've been a life long Vauxhall fan, owning everything from a 1ltr Nova 1st car, onto Mk 4 Astra GSi and SRi turbos, aswell as my long term 2ltr, twin carb'd, Quaife Diff'd Nova.
After buying our first house 4 years ago money started getting a bit tighter, so the turbos were sold leaving just the Nova, and after a trip to the Nurburgring for my stag weekend and a track day at Croft in it, I decided I'd spent enough on the car, had my fun with it and was time to break it :(
So after a couple of years of sensible motoring, I was getting the itch for something entertaining to drive again, and hopefully if money allows (now have a 3 month old son and an expensive mortgage) be able to do a few track days, and a return to the Nurburgring ASAP!!
I narrowed my search down to either a Civic Type R or a RenaultSport Clio. After weighing up insurance costs, and the price to buy a decent condition car it was decided to buy a Clio, and use the money saved to pay for some mods and pay off the insurance on both the Clio and the family Laguna.
After road testing a few cars, I found the ideal car I was looking for, a low milage, Mondial Blue 172 Cup. I loved it straight from the 1st drive, reminded me a lot of my old Nova with it's big engine, light weight body, but crucially it also handled fantastically, especially in the wet when in a converted Vauxhall you'd be cautions pressing the throttle mid bend!!
Anyway, enough talking, here's some pictures of the car and some of the mods that have already been carried out in my 1st week of ownership!
43f80b87.jpg

How I first spotted the car - a trade in at a local Fiat Dealership.
670ee8bf.jpg

25409473.jpg

96376c9b.jpg

Got the car home after a quick wash, needs a few jobs sorting.
ec78ffe2.jpg

First job was to remove the Scorpion exhaust for a custom made stealth exhaust by local legends AAS!
11b48ed0.jpg

c17450cd.jpg

Also fitted some Eibach Sportline springs, slightly disappointed with the lack of drop, but at least it's levelled out the suspension and still looks fairly standard which I like.
de58dda5.jpg

72b48c8e.jpg

Next up a quiet day at work (I'm a mechanic at a Volvo main dealers) meant I could give the car a proper clean and also fit the wheel stud conversion kit from my Nova, complete with Blue anodised nuts!
46cbbf07.jpg

700aff4c.jpg

3cd252c7.jpg

1ba56210.jpg

4d6ff7e8.jpg

That's where I'm up to at the minute, next jibs are to remove the Blue side repeaters, a proper refurb of the wheels and upgrade the pads and discs, then fingers crossed a track day before the end of the year!

Here's some pics of my old Nova too - love them or hate them it was a fantastic car to me!
ff1382d5.jpg

e53f4151.jpg

8b1fd6fa.jpg

f7a9e67e.jpg

And the reason for the bonnet scoop - function over form! Hungry carbs!!!
413857fb.jpg

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
novas filth!! love it mate! cup looks abit like mine too, part from mines lowered ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Good start to your project mate! Seems like there are more and more Cups cropping up on the forum intended for track use- good thing:)

About 10 years ago I used to have a Nova with a 2L 16v, Webber carbs and Courtney cams - absolute flying machine down the straights, crap in the bends. Good fun for a short while though.

Golf GTD Mk7
Looking good mate. Were the sportlines new? it does look a little high from the picture. Maybe they just need to settle a little.

Cheers for the comments guys!
Sportline springs were bought brand new, and do seem to have settled slightly lower now.
Turini's will be getting refurbed at some point, can't make my mind up what colour yet. I do like the standard silver, but also like the satin black when their clean, or Anthracite:S
Stud's came from eBay - M12x1.5mm - 40mm long.

Golf GTD Mk7
The wheel colour looks bang on to me. Nice clean satins work well. Unfortunately they're a b**ch to clean.

arctic 182 ff
Looks very well that,love a clean looking cup !!! i served my time at volvo durham when it used to be about,my pals dad works at your place marty byrne think he is a part time driver there.

Cheers guys - Nova was pretty awesome (as far as Nova's go) the full build thread can be seen here if anyone's interested: http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/383961-t45-xe-nova-build-never-ending.html

Ordered a Pipercross panel filter today, probably gonna remove the front fogs and run cold air feeds, and descovered the NSF shocker is soft, which I suspected when changing the springs so will be on the look out for some new shocks!
Priced up a wheel refurb, prices seem to have gone up a lot so that'll be put on the back burner I think!!

Small update, fitted a Pipercross panel filter - I've read all the arguments for and against so please don't bother trying to tell me not to bother with it!
376194d4.jpg

I'm slightly surprised by the lack of choice in shock absorbers, can you get Bilstein shock absorbers for these?? If not I'll save up and buy some coilovers at some point, and fit a standard Cup shocker in the mean time.

Been a long while coming with an update, but I've been gathering parts, and today got round to fitting them with the help of my mate and his ramp!
Here's the parts:
5a37713a.jpg

EBC Bluestuff front pads, Yellowstuff rear pads, Brembo High Carbon discs, Goodridge braided hoses, and ATE Super Blue Racing fluid.
8ebd9bb2.jpg

Nice easy job fitting the pads, perfect fit, no need to file or grind the edges at all :)
2efd311a.jpg

Onto the front - same again, perfect fit :)
306b5a2f.jpg

4095809f.jpg

Then fitted the hoses, again, no problems here, great fit, and brake pipes came out of the old flexi's without too much of a fight!
23bb0a11.jpg

c7d58ead.jpg

All done and ready to rock:
03decf1f.jpg

Initial feedback after only a short drive in the car - the brakes are awesome!! Even at this early stage straight out of the box, the initial bite of the brakes is very strong, not grabby, but fantastically powerful, and confidence inspiring. I can't wait to put a few more miles on them and see how they cope, but they certainly shed speed very quickly!
Also sitting waiting to go on is my new track wheels:
da6b289a.jpg

3dcb3f71.jpg

The Yokohama A048 track tyres that are fitted them have seen better days:
94b63597.jpg

so these were found:
b3e35829.jpg

And thats were I'm up to at the minute! Was planning on attending a track day at Croft at the end of October but it's 88db, and have had my exhaust measured at 92db so don't want to chance being turned away by them, so looks like I'll be attending a track day at Teeside Autodrome on Friday the 7th October. The tracks not very big, but at only £100 and what seems to be a low attendance at the minute should mean plenty of space and track time!
I'll keep this thread updated once the brakes are bedded in properly.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nice update. Out of interest where did you get the pads from and how much? I've got the hc discs just looking for options on pads.

Dan.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Nice one mate cheers. So overall a good compromise to say the ds 2500? Their cheaper for a start

Nice one mate cheers. So overall a good compromise to say the ds 2500? Their cheaper for a start
I can't honestly compare, as I've never used the DS2500. I cam say tho I'm so far very pleased with what I've got! It's just under 3 weeks til the track day so I'll have a better idea of them then, but they already feel very good!

This thread has potential, will be keeping an eye out. Love the nova too!
Thanks mate, hopefully I can keep enough money each month to allow me to press on with the Clio!

Another small update - fitted the 888's to the 15's and decided it would be a good idea to check there were no issues with them before using them on a track day, so am gonna run them on the road for a day or two.
98bbd719.jpg

Obviously can't really go testing their performance benefits properly, but turn in seems much more responsive, possibly down to the stiffer sidewalls? Road noise is massively increased, not that that's an issue for the use they're gonna be getting, but sounds like the wheel bearings are a bit noisy, which I know they're not!
Also - the brakes are still massively impressing me, only done a hundred miles or so, but their initial bite is still really sharp, and I've had no problems slowing the car down from high speeds at all! With the White wheels fitted I have noticed they seem quite dusty, but probably not much more than a normal set of pads, and that was after a few big stops. Brake feel is also great, can't fault them!
Next jobs before the trackday on the 7th October will be a geo set up, and oil and filter change, gearbox oil change and fitting a Yanoo short shift and stiff shift kit, fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!!

Another small update with a terrible picture - fitted the 'Yanoo' 10% quickshift pin. Still have the 'stiff shift' part to fit, but after a full day working on customers cars, then a fiddle job after work and then fitting the quick shift I really have had enough of cars for one day, so will have to wait for another day.
81f7593c.jpg

Right, track day coming up on Friday, so today was pretty much my last chance to get the car on the ramp at work (not allowed to use the ramps, so do it on a saturdy while the gaffa's off!!)
Started with an oil change:
c75644c9.jpg

The oil that came out was still really clean, testament to the low milage and full history :)

Next came something which I've been debating about for a while, adjusting my front camber. Now the car drove nice and straight beforehand, and tyre wear was perfect, so I was a bit reluctant to mess with it, but also knowing the extra loading on the tyres during a track day I thought I'd give it a go. I ordered some camber bolts, but they haven't arrived yet, and with today being the last chance to do the wheel alignment at work before my track day I thought I'd set about it the getto way:
73511a9b.jpg

Now I know people have said it 'can' move when done like this, but the way I see it I won't have these shockers for too much longer (hopefully) and they're tightened to death I'm hoping they'll be ok. This is the same way Volvo adjust their camber, and we have no problems with them.
So with both shockers done it was onto the 4 wheel alignment ramp, to set the camber and tracking to my specs. 1.5° front camber, and slight toe out (got the figures in the car, can't remember fully of the top off me head.)
e7697208.jpg

If anyone's interested in this method, I elongated the holes by an extra 3mm, and this gave me a maximum camber of 3.5° so if you were aiming for 1.5° I reckon 1mm should be enough.
A road test later made me pleased I made the changes, it's so stable in a straight line, it's brilliant, and even just driving it on the road you can feel the extra stability! So far nothings moved either, and it's been driven pretty hard and over some bumps etc. Will keep you updated on how it works out. If it does slip I'll simply fit some washers to the bolts, set the camber where I want it and weld the washer to the strut.

Last edited:
Well, track day done and the car was awesome!! Weather was cold but dry and clear, and there was a very wide variety of cars, from Aerial Atoms to a bog standard, M reg Rover 214, with a tow bar!!! We got to the circuit nice and early and got the road wheels off and my track wheels on.
S1053527.jpg

S1053525.jpg

Then, a very relaxed drivers briefing and off out onto the circuit for some sighting laps behind the instructor and then straight onto our own. I gave a mate my camera and asked him to get some snaps - unfortunately it turns out he's a terrible photographer, and out of four sets of batteries I charged for the camera, only 1 was any good, and they died after about 10 shots :( here's some of his better ones!
S1053546.jpg

S1053551.jpg

The day was run in 30 minute sessions, and was a joint bike and car day, so 30 mins cars and 30 mins bikes! The bikers were mental, and had some serious kit!
ad6465da.jpg

In all there were 6 car sessions and the Clio was out in all of them for the full sessions, the only time I had to pull into the pits was to change the battery in my camcorder!! I'd knocked up a home made camera mount for the headrest posts, and it worked excellently! Here's a video of the second session uploaded to YouTube. In this session a Gulf coloured kit car span right in front of me after trying to out brake me, and an Evo blows up his rear diff, spilling oil all over the track :( this was the second session and I was still getting used to the car, and driving on track for the 1st time in 2 years, so in the earlier sessions I was guilty of carrying too much speed into corners and understeering, by the end of the day I was entering slower and more controlled and exiting faster, I was loving it!!
[video=youtube_share;qK6M9h__Pn4]http://youtu.be/qK6M9h__Pn4?hd=1[/video]
I'll be uploading more videos to my YouTube channel so check it out if your interested.
The car behaved fantastically all day, coolant temp never got above half, tyre wear on the 888's was pretty good, handling was great, but above everything else the brakes were incredible! As I've already said from driving with the blue stuff pads on the road, initial bite, even from stone cold is very very good, and out on track stop after stop after stop the feel stayed exactly the same and even after repeated 100mph braking never once changed. I was consistently out braking a lot of the Atoms, track prepped Exige and VX220, and I think that was down to the confidence in the braking performance! I've never been so confident stomping on the brake pedal!!
Here's a couple of pics of the hammered Brembo HC discs and blue stuff pads after about 3 hours out on track. The discs have had a seriously hard time, but there's no judder at all and there still as sharp as ever! Brake dust didn't seem to bad either, but I'll know better once I clean the wheels.
1b6d43c9.jpg

a1d60922.jpg

I never felt the need for any extra brake cooling, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt!
Best of all for me tho, after a great days fun the at was loaded up again, road wheels fitted and driven hone without a single bit of bother - I love it!!
a2181e34.jpg

Here's some pictures of the other cars on the day:
585bc117.jpg

Civic Type R engined Exige - sounded absolutely incredible!!
8f6d8470.jpg

30ff8853.jpg

Very well prepped and quick VX220 turbo:
cc3be656.jpg

Spinny kit car
99e16054.jpg

5e541f43.jpg

And some poor bloke who was thrashing his pride and joy Golf GTTDi had a scary moment in the 5th session when his front hub gave way!! Hi quote of "the ABS light just came on" may have been a bit of an under statement!!
c26d3082.jpg

af8a6226.jpg

All in all a fantastic day, really pleased with my Clio :) Only real thing I may want to change would be the standard seats, they're so unsupportive and I've actually got a dead leg from the bolster digging into my thigh while tying to hold myself up through the bends!!
Hope you enjoy - and C&C's very welcome!!

Last edited:
Looks like a great day. So the pads held up well then?
Brakes held up brilliantly mate! They've not worn much, and I had 100% confidence in them every time, able to brake late and hard, shedding speed at an incredible rate! My AP racing 4 pots and 305mm discs on my Nova never gave me this much confidence and power! I can see why not many people go for 4 pots on their Clio's! If your still after pads for your Clio I could definitely recommend EBC Bluestuff, they're awesome!!

Bit of pic whoring - got sent some higher res images:
82ec1e1a.jpg

59448330.jpg

e02011b1.jpg

5861176a.jpg

a3d5bb36.jpg

f2b269af.jpg

be0ed5c1.jpg

Car hasn't been used all week as I've been using my dads Volvo C30 R-Design while he's been away, and I've got to say I e really missed the Clio and was glad to get it back on Friday :)

Another small update...
Not much has been happening with my Clio lately, its just been taking the commute to work in its stride every day, and putting a smile on my face on the rare occasion there's an open streatch of road on a weekend drive!
This happened a week or so ago...
8771093b.jpg

I did manage to get a slim front plate fitted (was on before the track day!) by local Company Allidrew, and today I have changed the oil again (actually less than 1000miles old!) due to the hard use on the track day, and being unsure of actual oil temprature and if it would have damaged the oil at all. As its easy done and will do no harm I changed it again.
b6fd9387.jpg

and today I've also fitted a Powerflex bush'd dogbone mount....
1344db4d.jpg

c77dc35d.jpg

I'm now on the look out for the other Vibratechnic engine mounts, and also some 15" tyres to allow me to run the 15" wheels for the winter, so I can refurb the Turinis.
Solid top mounts and poly bushes are also on my want list, but will be buying them when I can afford them, Christmas is extra expensive now I've got a little'un to buy for :)