ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 lives again

RS172
Have just got my 172 back on the road again after spending 2 days replacing the engine!

I was driving to a training course on Tuesday morning when the car started to boil up, I could hear it bubbling in the header tank so I stopped it and lifted the bonnet to have a look. I slowly took of the header tank cap and was greeted by steam and what looked like mustard mayonnaise :(

I decided it would cost £500 plus to get the head gasket done with new belts and dephaser, so I decided to source an engine instead and found one on here ( thanks mickstoke) and had it couriered next day to my mates farm. So I set about taking the old engine out and getting it ready for the new engine to go in.

I took the engine and box out in one lump split it and fitted new clutch to the new engine and fitted the whole lot back in then refilled the g/box and engine with oil new oil filter and filled with coolant and it started first time.

It was an intresting job but helped me learn more about the engine and all the components under the bonnet!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Thats good work!!! I'm getting the 182 back this weekend - same job has been done

RS172
Cheers guys it was definately an experience I enjoyed but I now know for sure I will never attempt to change the cam belt!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good work.

God I wish I knew how to do anything with engines other than change the oil.

And me. I did replace the air filter on my own last week though and I have fitted all my own K&N's to previous cars! HERO!

RS172
It did a few hours on wed and thurs night after work then it was out on the floor Friday morning ( none of this engine crane business used a tractor!!) then had to wait till lunch for the engine to swap all sensors and fly wheel over then clutch turned up at 2 and engine and box were back in by 5 and spent Saturday plugging in sensors and doing up engine mounts and fitting manifolds and auxilurys turned the key at 4 and started after the fuel pump had primed. I was well chuffed and really glad I did it myself :)