ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup

172 Cup, R34 GTR
Hi,

I thought I had better say hi and introduce the car. I have owned my 172 cup for nearly a year and have been surprised with it since its purchase.

The car was originally purchased as a replacement for my everyday car and is now taking on the role of occasional track use as well.

I am trying to evolve the car on a budget with choice mod’s that will make it more capable and address certain areas I feel needed some attention and hopefully I can get more hands on and carry out various mod’s myself.

My plan was to improve the cars stability and help it to use the cars power as well as it can- it had a massive issue putting the power to the road and the brakes were less than impressive- I did wonder if they were still there at one point!

It has since had a full service at my local Renault dealer and I have carried out the mod’s my self, both to save money and as a small project for myself.

I don’t plan on any engine mods and have nearly finished what I hope will make it an incredibly fun car on track, while maintaining its road manners.

I have changed the brakes to Brembo HC disks and Carbon Lorraine pads up front and standard rear disks and pads.

Have fitted Eibach Sportline springs and camber bolts. The rears already had Koni shocks fitted which were really stiff with the standard springs.

I had the wheels powder coated in black as they were severely corroded and kerbed, not to mention the dodgy rattle can spray job to hide the aforementioned damage. They are now shod in R888’s as the tires fitted were nearly bald- new when I bought the car. Due to the tire wear I had the geometry checked and adjusted to suite.

These mod’s have transformed the car, it now has no problem with traction, the brakes are great and no longer lock up under heavy braking. Cornering and ride comfort has massively improved, its now firm but not back braking and stays stable at high speed both on the motorway and the twistys.

How it sat for 2 weeks.

I need to address the exhaust next which definitely requires a rear bracket and I need to replace the system from the cat back. I think it’s the standard system void of any baffles. This makes it stupidly loud and sounds like a bag of spanners at idle.

I am looking at either a K Tec or a standard Renault job- this will be noise level dependant.

Any comments/advice towards what I have done and what i should be thinking about to improve its ability on track without going too hardcore is greatly appreciated.

I will get some better photo’s when I next clean it.

Lee

ClioSport 172 (2003)
Nice 1 lee nice pics!

car looks in good nic! cant believe nobody has posted on this yet!

rb182 cup
look forward to some more pics....i'd also suggest clear side repeaters & silvertec bulbs...

Stripped yozza'd cup
Get rid of the fogs and the wheel arch liners, I had to pull mine out during my last track day as the brakes kept cooking.

A whiteline Rear ARB and you'll have a tasty little track car.

172 Cup, R34 GTR
I have seen a couple of ideas on here about brake cooling so need to decide on which route to take- deflection plate or ducting.

Are they that bad for over heating then?

I may look at this on Saturday if i get time.

172 Cup, R34 GTR
Right, i have taken some pictures with it back on the floor.

Springs haven't lowered as much as i thought but they improved the handling so i am happy.

It really needs a clean being kept on the drive but haven't had a chance.

One of both cars.

I still need to address the brake cooling so will look into this before i go to Cadwell for a trackday.