ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup ~ OEM+

172 Cup
Update time!

Well i picked the freshly refurbished Turini's up on thursday and i can safely say they are now in OUTSTANDING condition! Im sooo pleased i got them done silver it makes the car look 100x better than before.

Over the weekend ive had all 4 wheels off for the following process:

- Rinsed
- Washed using Dodo Juice Born to be mild
- Rinsed
- Dried
- Sealed with EGP extra gloss
- 2 Coats (each wheel) of Poor boys Wheel sealant
- Tyres dressed with megs gel

With the Turini's taken care of my and our kid turned our attention to sorting out the paggered looking calipers:

Before:

Picture670.jpg

Picture669.jpg

After:

Picture677.jpg

FRESH :)

With all 4 of the calipers looking considerably better, all 4 Turini's were fitted and the icing on the cake came in the form of my new TPI Polarised wheel bolts ohh yeah! The car was given a quick wash (still needs a full 3 stage detail) and i headed out to grab some pics of it:

Picture678.jpg

Picture679.jpg

Picture681.jpg

Picture680.jpg

Picture683.jpg

Picture684.jpg

Picture666.jpg

Picture667.jpg

Picture668.jpg

Picture673.jpg

Really happy with how the car is coming along now, its starting to look real clean and fresh even if i do say so myself which is the aim of the car.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome as always :)

172 Cup

Cheers mate!

Love the wheels. Carnt wait to do mine.

It really does make all the difference.

Love it! it's superb

Thanks man :approve:

Very nice. Looks like you've been busy.

Thanks! Just having a well earned takeaway and beer lol

That's made up my mind on black or silver calipers!! Silver looks great.

Black looks good too dude, however these add the fresh side to things...hopefully they will stay clean for a good few months.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The calipers won't stay silver for long! Mine are filthy already after sod all miles!

Those wheel bolts look super sweet!! Nice touch!

172 Cup
The calipers won't stay silver for long! Mine are filthy already after sod all miles!

Those wheel bolts look super sweet!! Nice touch!

A few have said that may be the case with them, hopefully i'll get the summer out of them then they can be repainted after the winter ;)

The wheels bolts are defo worth the moneyz lol

FF 182
Looks nice man, i do love silver turini's, I have anthracite ones on my Titanium 182 atm and when they get dirty they look horrible, been contemplating getting silver hmmmm.

172 Cup
Where did you get the wheels refurbed? They look a cracking job. As does the car.

I had them done at SEM Alloys in Sunderland mate, his work is amazing.

Looking good man! :)

;) ta very much

Looks nice man, i do love silver turini's, I have anthracite ones on my Titanium 182 atm and when they get dirty they look horrible, been contemplating getting silver hmmmm.

Cheers dude.

Dont get me wrong mate i love Turini's in anthracite too but IMO Cups belong on silver Turini's (unless for track purposes etc).

172 Cup
Where is SEM? I've never seen it

Redhouse mate, just along the road from the Ford garage on Wessy way

What lee said lol.

rusty wheel arch screws make me sad :(

Rest is :)

They are a job for another day ;), cheers too!

Ah, no wonder I've not seen it. Don't go that way often :p

Looks like they've done a good job though

His work is seriously top notch dude, defo comes highly recommended.

172 Cup
What a great example this is. Anymore plans? Tidying? Looks awesome! :)

Thanks alot pal! Plans for the near future;

- 2 new Conti contact sports (these things are soft lol!)
- Tracking/allignment all set up
- New '2.0' side bullets
- Short aeriel
- Full paint correction

FCS :D

Plans later in the year/future:

- Clutch
- Rear calipers refurbished
- Dog bone mount/engine mounts (either OE or powerflex)
- Shocks (either OE Cup shocks or a Koni kit)
- Then maybe i might think about a few more performance mods...maybe lolz.

Im saving to move out too so its just one step at a time while maintaining her.

Fantastic car. If you ever want to sell it, let me know

Wow! really appreciate that mate cheers, i'll keep that in mind ;)

Thanks Owen!

172 Cup
Had the car at the FCS at the weekend and while I was there I bargained with the dent master bloke and got a couple of car parking dings took out from both the passenger door and drivers door (one on each). As it happens he done this on the CS stand and I have to say he did a fantastic job with both dings vanishing :).

More updates soon after pay day lol.

Just read this thread and I must say this is spot on! ;) I really want to go the OEM+ route with mine including the HC discs and 2500s (or maybe Carbon Lorraines if the budget allows).

Can I ask where you got your new gearknob from and also the bullets (were the bullets brand new or resprayed)?

Also not sure whether to get the original Conti Contacts or Michi PS3s - have you tried both?

172 Cup
Just read this thread and I must say this is spot on! ;) I really want to go the OEM+ route with mine including the HC discs and 2500s (or maybe Carbon Lorraines if the budget allows).

Can I ask where you got your new gearknob from and also the bullets (were the bullets brand new or resprayed)?

Also not sure whether to get the original Conti Contacts or Michi PS3s - have you tried both?

Thanks alot mate!

The new gear knob and bullets can be bought through your local Renault dealership or Tom aka West Renault off here.

If the car is for road use i would stick to the ds2500's aswell matey ;)

With regards to the tyres i think the conti contacts sports are fantastic (they were the original Cup tyre). I have not ran PE3's on my car but my brother had them on his Trophy and again i have to say they are a fantastic tyre so i dont think you can go wrong with either imo.

Hopefully there will be some more updates with the Cup soon!

DCI100
I had conti contacts on my dci sick tyres wear seemed quick though.... Maybe that's jut me.

I'm on toyo proxies now I want contis back

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Personally from using both tyres I prefer the michelins, however if you could get the conti's cheap then go for them :)

Jimbo....how's the corgie's?

172 Cup
I had conti contacts on my dci sick tyres wear seemed quick though.... Maybe that's jut me.

I'm on toyo proxies now I want contis back

Yeah they seem to wear very quick that's the downside!

Personally from using both tyres I prefer the michelins, however if you could get the conti's cheap then go for them :)

Jimbo....how's the corgie's?

Haha Charles has taken them for a walk ;)

looks really smart subtle mods but really set it off

Thanks pal!

172 Cup
Update:

Very little has happened with the Cup recently, however this week saw the following:

Picture482.jpg

- 2 New Conti Contact Sports
- 2 new track rod ends
- Fully aligned and set up to 172 Cup specs again
- Oil change with gulf 5-40w
- OE Oil filter change
- ITG panel filter cleaned

Basically the numpy who changed the track rod end and set the tracking in the past had set it up wrong and it was way out, which resulted in the death of my front tyres hence the change. The car now seems to turn in sharper which is great.

I have also purchased a house so progress with the Cup is going to be very slow. TBH it doesnt really need anything now (a few odds and sods) and is just about a MINT example of a 172 CUP which was my aim from the off.

It may stay as it is (and being maintained to a high standard) for some time now with work needing to be done to the house etc and also the possibility of me and my bro buying ourselves a 106 GTI/VTS to turn into an all out track prep'ed project car in the future (i still miss my vts dearly lol) which we have talked about doing for some time together.

Anyhow pics of it to follow soon once its been fully machine polished, Thanks for looking guys :)

172 Cup
Sorry for the late reply pal i have only just noticed this post due to being away and being busy with other things.

The Cup is still going strong :) and is being maintained as it should be! I have bought a house which needed (needs) alot of work so 'progress' as such has stopped for now. The car is at the place i always wanted and is still only on 50k so has alot of life in her yet lol.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Car looks great, but the springs you put on seem to have actually raised the rear ride height a bit. I agree though that it has lowered the front a little. Would love my cup to look a bit nicer on the outside like this one, good job.

172 Cup
Well its been a while since anything has been happening with the Cup as i had bought a house which needed a lot of work doing to it so money was tight! Having got the house sorted i thought i would take the chance to give the Cup its yearly service, after a quick look on Opie Oils a purchase was made and this little lot turned up:

DSCF1605.jpg

The Cup was serviced last weekend and i thought that since it had not been detailed properly yet i would sort it out, so the car was fully machine polished and waxed etc today and after all the hard work me and my brother put in i popped out for some pics:

DSCF1620.jpg

DSCF1621.jpg

DSCF1624.jpg

DSCF1629.jpg

some of the products used today:

DSCF1614.jpg

DSCF1615.jpg

Really happy with how it turned out!...current mileage of it is now 53k :)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much echoes what im doing with my 172 Cup. I've still got the onerous wheel refurb yet to really smarten mine up.

They really let the car down, for me.

Quick question... How have you found the eibachs? I want cooksports but getting fed up with waiting and want them on before FCS. What sort of drop did you get with them?

172 Cup
I want this car, amazing, simply amazing

:) Thanks dude!

Pretty much echoes what im doing with my 172 Cup. I've still got the onerous wheel refurb yet to really smarten mine up.

They really let the car down, for me.

Quick question... How have you found the eibachs? I want cooksports but getting fed up with waiting and want them on before FCS. What sort of drop did you get with them?

Yeah having the wheels refurbished made a big difference to the appearance of the car mate. As regards to the springs they are fantastic, as is all Eibach stuff, its pretty much all i will use and have had Eibachs on all my cars. They come well recommended from most the lads on here too dude. I cant rate them highly enough. They dropped it around 15-20mm i would say its just a nice amount ;)