ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mongol Rally 2009

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
n710887623_1989633_2693906.jpg

As some of you may be aware I will be doing the Mongol Rally and it starts this weekend.

for details see the website

http://mongolrally09.theadventurists.com/genghiskhar

I am still looking for donations and have raised around £500 on the Website and have another £500ish to add but I am still short on reaching my minimum target of £1600. Anything you can donate towards will be gratefully appreciated. and please remember. i am funding the rally, car, fuel, food, flights etc out of my own pocket. so your donations go straight to the charity all you need to do is click on the link below and donate anything from £2.

http://www.justgiving.com/Mongol2009

I have also created a group on facebook where I will be updating it with my progress and trying to sort out the tracking device I have on my iphone. Feel free to join and check on progress.
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=78566817125&view=all#/group.php?gid=78566817125

Thanks All

6536_108338962623_710887623_2582997_6488294_n.jpg

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
cool nice one although I may not have the topbox fitted as we are hoping to lighten the weight

BMW M3
I did this in 2007. Was the best thing i ever did !!

Have the rules for the car changed then ? Our car was substancially shi**er.

7 weeks and 10,160 miles. Obviously enjoyed every city ;-)

Heres our 1 litre beast !!!

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1285.jpg

ValverInBits
^ you didn't go with a guy called micheal enness or something did you?

edit: nope, his micra was brown, lol

BMW M3
Nah, tbh... i forgot my V5 (idiot) so spent alot of the rally on our own as we had to wait for it to be sent to Poland.... however, we then beasted it and eventually caught up with our mates in Mongolia ^^^^^ as you can see.

We got that micra to 85 mph and it must have weight 2 tonnes. Blown all the piston rings but it just kept going. Absolute tank !!!

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
Cool well I made it to the finish. no punctures but mullered the suspension and buckled a wheel or 2, broke the rear bumper as well.

Well done mate !

I did Scumball rally in 2008, and our car was wrecked after that. No where near the mileage you did, so you did pretty darn well there chap.

BMW M3
Nice one mate..... i got 8 punctures and took a month longer. I went the long route though.

I want to do it again but feel i escaped death too many times to risk doing it again hehe

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
Thanks all for your comments, I completed the rally in 24 days and we took the middleish route as well (through Kazakhstan).

I gave myself a 4 week window to complete the rally. and we had days off in between. 1 day in Moscow, 1 day in Voldograd 1 day in Khov'd(Mongolia) and were also held at the border going into Mongolia for 2 days.
If anyone wants to do it I do recommend going through Kazakhstan. It is a great country despite the roads and most people we found are very friendly.

Cheers

S2000
Dragging this topic back up. For those of you who have done it how did your overall costs work out? I know it'll vary hugely depending on the route etc but any info would be awesome!

Cheers.

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
for me
£650 entrance fee
£700 for car (including spares and work needed to be done on it
£320 for visas (per person)
£600+ hotels and campsite I stayed in a couple of expensive ones(£80+) in Moscow and Astana.
£600+ for fuel
£1000 for flights
------------
£3870 Total for 2 people you will have to allow for food and have a few quid on standby.

This total doesn't include the minimum £1000 you have to raise for charity.

BMW M3
Yeah, our cost were around £3500 for 2.

Got the car for very little but spent a huge chunk of money living it up in 5 star hotels after a hard few nights in the middle of nowhere or driving for 32 hrs non stop. Loads of camping done though during the 7 weeks

A little bit on spares, lights, roof rack and tools/equip.

Loads in clubs and beer and such.

A little bit in bribes to police and border control but we got pretty wise to that which sometimes didnt end too well.

Food can be pretty cheap if you buy as you go from stalls by the road hehe

Flights where about £500 each and can remember fuel. Very cheap in the west.

Raised £5000 for charity too.

Alot of effort but so enjoyable its easy