ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mondeo Ecoboost 240 Estate

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Recently changed jobs and the new place has a much better company car scheme, meaning I could opt out with no restrictions on car choice and still have a fuel card. So naturally I ruled out anything diesel, anything under 200bhp and anything boring. I needed a huge estate for a family wagon, fast and fun when its just me and something not to flash to arrive at business meetings in. I think this ticks all the boxes.

So here it is, mk4.5 Mondeo Estate, 240PS with a "DSG" style box but this utilises a wet clutch for smoother changes. Official figures are 7 to 60 and 153mph, however in reality its deceptively quick once rolling. These cars are ultra rare as most are the 200bhp diesel, so I was lucky to find one local for the right price. According to another forum I use, Ford sold around 600 of these, only 200 in estate form.

I've only covered 500 mile in it so far but I'm very impressed. When pottering its ultra smooth and quiet, which is ideal for the family, the ride is also more compliant than my previous car which was a Mazda 6. When I'm on my own and flick into sport mode, it changes into a rapid estate. For the money, I can't think of much else that ticks so many boxes. Skoda Octavia VRS was my other option but they're ten a penny and the interiors aren't particularly nice imo, also a bit small.

Few pics, no decent ones yet really.
IMG_4907_zpsl19nupuh.jpg

IMG_4908_zpsg76ii2vq.jpg

IMG_4802_zps5j5eohyk.jpg

IMG_4819_zpsx2inwozf.jpg

2_zps7j4mecer.jpg

banther

ClioSport Club Member
It's fookin huge!! I really really want another estate but I have no reason for one and the OH now refuses to go dogging.

Girly question but what colour is it? Either my eyes are fucked or it looks white in pic 1&2 kinda blue in pics 3,4,5

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Very nice mate. It does look like it has a blue tinge to it.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Colours ice white, flips from white to blue depending on lighting which is why it looks odd on some photos.

Already been looking into Bluefin, but I've a 12 month warranty with it so will just leave it standard I think for time being. Have got hold of a modified ELM327 to try and alter some settings though, like turning on auto door locking, changing home light duration etc. Odd why you can't just change these settings in the cars setting, have to either take to Ford or buy a port reader and put it into the laptop. Not figured out how to use the thing yet though.

Fun part is subjective, its no hot hatch as it sheilds you from the outside so you never quite feel like you're doing galactic speeds. However, it is still fun to chuck around corners despite its size, as all modern Fords have superb steering and involvement. Of more fun with this is annoying German barges who get rather quite annoyed when they can't keep up with Mondeo man.

Last edited:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Love the colour - nice looking thing!
Doubt the wife would drive something so big as a daily though :(

Leon Cupra 300
Not a big fan of that shape Mondeo..

but, I love fast estates and 1000 man points for buying a petrol.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They're great cars but the new one makes it look a tad dated now, the new one is an immense thing!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What is it? As in what do I need to google to find one.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
What is it? As in what do I need to google to find one.

Mondeo Titanium X Sport Ecoboost 240 is the full title, you'll struggle to find any for sale though. The pre facelift ones are a bit easier to find, but they're "only" 200bhp.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
They're great cars but the new one makes it look a tad dated now, the new one is an immense thing!

Eye of the beholder and all that, but the latest one looks a bit bland imo! This is the latest version, same engine and gearbox in a newer shell.

$_57.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
This is a 2.0 Turbo making 240bhp, the earlier version was a 2.0 Turbo making 200bhp. Pre facelift was a 2.5 Turbo making 220bhp. 2.3 was just a naff engine, no performance.
cant be that naff if its powering the new FRS lol!

looks the part, it would be perfection if it had the 2.5 5cyl but I don't suppose it would be very fuel efficient lol!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

looks the part, it would be perfection if it had the 2.5 5cyl but I don't suppose it would be very fuel efficient lol!

The 4 cyl 2.0 ecoboost isn't efficient either!

The Evo is a lie!

Bet the OP isn't getting more than 25 mpg unless he's sat in the motorway all day. And even then it won't be over 35.

Fuel card for the win in that case!

172 Cup
In estate from it looks great, got me looking now even though I have no need for an estate or use my car enough to justify it.

The Evo is a lie!

Bet the OP isn't getting more than 25 mpg unless he's sat in the motorway all day. And even then it won't be over 35.

I drove a Taurus in America which was called an Ecoboost. Turns out it had a 3.5 twin-turbo v6 engine putting out 365bhp! I think it's just their posh name for something having a turbo.

EDIT: Here's a photo I took
10580124_10153380835189459_7079398187997026869_n.jpg

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Early mk4 mondeo had a na 2.3, that's what I'm on about not the frs 2.3 lol

Averaging 28mpg at the mo now, it'll do 40 on the motorway at 70 but problem is as soon as you accelerate or get to a hill, it drops massively again. Realistic figures are 25-30mpg. My previous mk4.5 mondeo was a 2.0 tdci 140 and that would only average 35-40mpg.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I drove a Taurus in America which was called an Ecoboost. Turns out it had a 3.5 twin-turbo v6 engine putting out 365bhp! I think it's just their posh name for something having a turbo.

EDIT: Here's a photo I took
10580124_10153380835189459_7079398187997026869_n.jpg

That's the same engine they put in the mustang out there

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
The problems with owning a huge car, when bell-ends make their own parking spots... thank god for front/rear parking sensors.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 120
  Leon Cupra 300

The Evo is a lie!

Worth every penny not having to listen to, and drive a diesel.!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Not that I'm bothered about mpg really, but the ecoboost isn't horrendously bad. Had a friend snap this, flat road, cruise control at speed limit, live mpg hovering around 40mpg. For a massive, heavy, petrol automatic that'll do 150+mph, I wouldn't class it as bad. Problem is that it's extremely thirsty when accelerating, even a steady accelerate sees 10mpg, full throttle 4mpg...

As of this morning, I'm averaging 28mpg still and my daily commute is 8 mike through the Derbyshire dales, country lanes up and down hills slowing for 30 and powering back up to 60.

86083d490dfe3cf40ec7da5a14842a3e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leon Cupra 300
To be honest, I'd be well chuffed with that, 28 on country roads is very good..

I have an 8 mile commute across a rural part of Yorkshire and am averaging about 19mpg!