ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Golf VR6 Project Thread

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Thought id start a project thread so I can add any new stuff I do to the Golf.

Always wanted to get into the VW scene and always liked Mk2's so decided to go for this. Went for the 5 door option as have got two kiddies now. 91 on a J plate gti 8v with 170k on it with history. A few dints and rust patches in places but all in all a solid motor.

7aee4525.png

51c64af9.png

The ride was pretty vague to say the least so decided to go for some cheapo coilies to try sharpen it up and drop it slightly.

a48a4a87.png

A few pictures with the coilovers fitted;

a0a60ad5.png

2cc0ac43.png

Although the 1.8 8v was pokey enough I decided I wanted more power. After looking at a few options for conversions I decided the VR6 would probably be the best bang for the buck. I had a look for a donor car and found this one on the bay so gave £500 sheets for it. A few pictures after I picked it up at Hartshead Moor services;

091b85b4.png

d2a783f7.png

d11ac20e.png

7665aa40.png

A few pictures of the two cars together;

009e5869.png

1608a898.png

338133fb.png

3a10c13d.png

a5099ed5.png

Next thing I found someone to sort the conversion out and sent it in - bye bye fuel economy!

Work in progress;

0edf5ca6.png

After around a month I got the car back. It really transformed the drive, lots more power and the noise is epic!

f2355af5.png

I bought some highly illegal pressed plates and gave the car a wash and polish and took some snaps;

c4293d49.png

bdf11fde.png

3006f891.png

85dc2da2.png

d9cf920f.png

Since then I have fitted the single light grill from a golf cl;

fd40545e.png

294f77cb.png

33989350.png

7cb5373a.png

I will post any further updates if there are any!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I prefer the original grill, but apart from that I LOVE THIS CAR! :D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Thats a lovely car.I had two VR6's and loved them.Bet it goes well being a lot lighter than an original VR.

Does the front end feel a bit heavier now.???

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats a lovely car.I had two VR6's and loved them.Bet it goes well being a lot lighter than an original VR.

Does the front end feel a bit heavier now.???

Yeah it does but it feels more planted. Id say its improved the handling really.

Never above 25mpg
Very nice, do prefer the original grill on it. Have you thought about the single lamp with a chrome trim?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Liking that! Was the Mk3 donor about shagged for £500, or are they just that cheap?

For 500 most have got bodywork issues to be honest. However, for around a grand you can pic up quite a tidy one. I ran the black one for a few months with no issues. When I got underneath it was like a patch work quilt with all the metal that had been welded in!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Very nice, do prefer the original grill on it. Have you thought about the single lamp with a chrome trim?

To be honest mate, the grill was just one my brother had knocking about so we just smashed it on. Not given it much thought really.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Not without modding the mk3 subframes Daniel

Glad you got a conversion sorted

Any more mods planned?

cheers mate, thanks for getting me that lads number but decided to go with someone more local in case there were any after problems (although your mate was by far the cheapest!).

As for mods, I'd like to change the wheels but due to vw wheel snobbery I don't think I'd be able to afford the ones I'd need to be 'scene' so will stick with the ra's for the moment.

No worries. He did say it was abit far for you to travel when I told him you have had it done now. he was just happy to get playing with his own VR haha

The wheels will make or break the car but the RA's keep it looking semi sleeperish :approve:

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
No worries. He did say it was abit far for you to travel when I told him you have had it done now. he was just happy to get playing with his own VR haha

The wheels will make or break the car but the RA's keep it looking semi sleeperish :approve:

I want to keep it standard looking as much as possible. That was the main reason I stayed 4 stud and didn't wide track it.

Ibiza SC
I really do love that mate, hope I see it around Selby when I'm at the tyre place next week ha!

GTD, Lupo
How much did the conversion cost in total and did you get the chain done, when the engine was out?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I really do love that mate, hope I see it around Selby when I'm at the tyre place next week ha!

You have probably got more chance of seeing me on garforth mate, I'm always around there as my brother lives on wakey road. What tyre place do you use in selby?

Ibiza SC
I'm not sure yet as my mrs's brothers bird lives in Selby and said there's a tyre market / shop that does wheel tracking for £7 a wheel. Apparently its 'near millgate on holmsley estate'. I don't know Selby at all =]!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not sure yet as my mrs's brothers bird lives in Selby and said there's a tyre market / shop that does wheel tracking for £7 a wheel. Apparently its 'near millgate on holmsley estate'. I don't know Selby at all =]!

Ah yeah, I know where that is. It's in the gangsta side of town!

Ibiza SC
Polish chavs more like, they didn't bother covering the dyno rollers up when parking my car in the garage, it got stuck.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome. Just needs the twin lights now..

Id actually get rid of the Bora for a BBM Mk2

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome mate, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

I would like to see it with the original grill on the Ronal's just to make my mind up. When I look at the original wheels I like the first grill, but on the Ronal's the plain one suits it too. Hmm.