ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 Golf Gti 16v VS 172 FF

I was on way home tonight and one of these was right up my arse, and i couldn't be arsed with him.

So i pulled over to slow lane and let him passed thinking whats the point in wasting petrol on him as i'd probably beat him. :)

He was a chav anyway thinking he was the boy LOL :rasp:

What do you guys think would have happened if i took him on ?

Would i have been playing with him ?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
He would have been dealt a good beating. They're lardy as and slightly over rated IMO.

to a degree yes but still a well respected hatch, an Oak Green 16v Mk2 GTi will turn quadruple the heads of any Clio...............remember where the hot hatch began.....

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
to a degree yes but still a well respected hatch, an Oak Green 16v Mk2 GTi will turn quadruple the heads of any Clio...............remember where the hot hatch began.....
Well said, but the hot hatch began with the mk1, hence the over rated comment. Still nice cars but all round performance isn't up to todays standards.

Well said, but the hot hatch began with the mk1, hence the over rated comment. Still nice cars but all round performance isn't up to todays standards.

Unless of course its had a VR OBD11 lump shoehorned in !

172 cup
that lardy car weighs less than a 172 ff but it would have been owned if standard

still the definitive hot hatch

Unless of course its had a VR OBD11 lump shoehorned in !

I did think that once i'd let him past, if i did take him on i hope it aint a 1.8turbo or a vr6 one :( as there getting popular

That would have slaughtered me

Heres a few of my old 8 valver

mk2golfie.gif

GOLF1.gif

GOLF4.gif

One when exhaust rubber broke :dapprove: and badly needed washed..

53 Clio's & counting
quite funny this thread mate coz i raced one last night!!!

he was in on his own and i was 4 up and we both went for it and i have to say i passed him,not easily but as he wouldnt move out the way i had to ease the throttle till he moved over lol,then i went past him

so long story short you would have won

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said, iconic hatch but time's moved on. Still the definitive hot hatch, along with the 5GTT and 205 GTi.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
in my opinion they feel so much faster than a 172/182, but the clio should easily eat it.

i dont understand why people are calling them heavy, surely they will weigh less than a clio?or at least the same, they arent much bigger and have no fancy gadgets etc.

in my opinion they feel so much faster than a 172/182, but the clio should easily eat it.

i dont understand why people are calling them heavy, surely they will weigh less than a clio?or at least the same, they arent much bigger and have no fancy gadgets etc.

you'd think they are heavier , but i stand corrected that the 3dr weighs around 1 tonne , dont know about this one

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
i had a mk1 before my clio. blew it up at 115mph, rebuilt it myself with kent cams springs and valves, ported the head, vernier pulley, uprated performance igniton, 4 branch manifold, mk2 adjustable coilovers, lower strut brace, list goes on,

anyway, it went like stink!!!! an it cornered like a mini!!! i even got it on the weigh bridge an it was weighed in at around 820!! (it was stripped). i never raced a 172 or 182 in it tho. i only had around 125bhp, but the torque figure was amazing!!

i think if i raced one in my golf, id pull away from it, slowly probably, but then as soon as it gets to 100 id be raped!!!

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
lol heavy! I have an early small bumper model D plate which is the first of the valvers and these are actually more like cup weight 1020kg rings a bell, Yes in standard form they are slower than a 172/182 of any variety but they are clio valver pace, but you must be wary of these mk1/2 golfs as there could be anything under the bonnet these days.
S3010175.jpg

S3010176.jpg

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
the good old GTI 16v, was my fav standard golf until the newer r32 etc...
was a fun car to drive. pretty quick i would say. 8sec to 60 back in the day wasnt slow remember. just becareful you dont come agaist one with a vr6 lump in it, cos he be larfing if you underestimate it and ***** around.

2001 172,VW Touran
i'm considering going back to a gti.I had a 90 spec 8v before my ff 172 and i felt more confident b road blasting that than i do my clio_Oh and theres more tuning potential which most of you former golf owners have already mentioned i.e engine swaps etc