ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mid-Range/Mid-Bass in the back?????

Clio 182 cup
Hi,
Looking for advice from the audiophiles out there.
I have a Clio 182 and want to make the tunes sound better.
Been having look on here for ideas and getting the impression that the rear speaker position is pants. If I could get one of the items below to fit in the rear speaker positions? Would they give some decent bass? As i'm aware that at lower frequencies the speaker position is less important.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/phonocar-hi-tech-2-739-neo-midbass.html

or these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/phonocar-hi-tech-2-738-audiophile-midbass.html

RS Clio 200
You need to upgrade the headunit first bud as factory unit is not made to kick bass but bring bass out of the track at Higher volume to save speakers. Either that or just distort. Set bass to +2 and treble to +3 and put loud on. Then try if your still not happy you need to start spending bucks!

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for the advice Guys. I have an alpine headunit fitted 4x50w. I see there is an inline alpine amp that will give 4x100w from the headunit with no extra wires and finding somewhere for amps etc.
Is the alpine inline amp any good?
Is there any way i could use this set up and filter higher frequency to the front speakers and lower to the back speakers?
Still would like to know if the 16.5 cm midbass speakers in the back speaker positons would give decent bass?
Realy dont want to have a sub in the boot or amps on show.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Listerine & Poledo
Alpine Power pack doesn't get rave reviews, 100w per channel is very optimistic. I looked at it myself.

As much as you may not want to lose boot space, you'd be better off adding an active box and setting the HU up to chop the low-end off of the speakers, the standard items work quite well then!

In guides there's a thread for fitting 6.5" speakers. Worth it if you want to amp up your speakers, especially in the front.

Clio 182 cup
Thanks again,
looks like i might have to go down the active sub route then, was just hoping to get a good sound with speakers in original positions.
has anyone got mid range/mid bass speakers fitted with no sub? Or is the mid bass part mean what it says and wont give good low bass sound?
Seen the guide for 16.5 in the front, looks good and no cutting up the door or door card.

Listerine & Poledo
mid-bass is what you've got in the front components, they wont go really low, maybe a bit lower than the co-ax's in there now, but nothing too deep.

Honestly, get the active box, if you ever need the room, just disconnect the plugs and take it out. Not sure if these are that good, but they're on the cheap at the moment

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fli-audio-ft15-active.html

As I said, I haven't even changed my speakers now, provided you've got something to handle the low-end, they can take the rest quite well.

Clio 182 cup
Ok,
I done it, spent under £90 on an active sub, didn't want to spend too much on somthing I wasn't sure I wanted.
Fitted it today but not had a chance to play with it.
I have an Alpine CDE-9850Ri HU, Sub is the ugly 10" EDGE active.
How do i go about setting it up. head unit has lots of options for bass and treble centre frequency and bandwidth and
subwoofer level. Sub has Gain, boost at 45Hz 0 to 12db(I think), and frequency selection 50 to 250Hz.
Also says the sub needs to be run-in for 30 hours.

Too many variables for someone new to pimping audio.
Any help on how to set this up would be appreciated.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Shame you're a million miles away.

Sub gain on zero. Boost low .. put freq to ~200.

Head unit - turn sub off ! Find HPF/LPF - set HPF to 200Hz. You should get no low end from the speakers...

Head unit - sub back on ! Knock the HU sub level up a few points. You should get some rumble from the boot... Gently increase the gain a little bit every couple of days on the sub. Make sure it sounds right .. Phase 0 or 180 degree. Try them both. Which sounds better ?

See how you get on and adjust to suit from there ! It will need bedding in and may sound weak to start with. DON'T be tempted to crank up the gain too soon ;)

HTH.

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for that TEG,:D
Will give it a go,
Sorry but one more question; The filters in the headunit ,do they have an effect on the pre-out?

TRACK CAR BREAKING
I spent £260 on front components and haven't changed the headunit.
It's sounds so bad!!!!
Need to get a new headunit !!

21 Turbo
I've just put some Focals in mine with a standard HU and fook me its shite lol

Man I miss my old Genesis setup from the M3 ;-)

DCi 100
Does different headunit even make that much difference?

I want rid of my Alpine iDA-X100 for a standard CD player tbh!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I want rid of my Alpine iDA-X100 for a standard CD player tbh!

i done this a few years back too and it obviously wasnt as good but you get used to it, my mrs has a Cabasse setup in her 1.6 16v and its much better than the standard unit, id get one of them if your going standard

Clio 182 cup
Alpine CDE-9850Ri HU, some cheap pioneer speakers, and an £85 Edge 10" active sub and sounding 100 times better.
Thanks people..

Thinking of taking an axe to the sub in the summer and making a new enclosure up over the rear arch that looks like its ment to be in my boot. I know it will not sound as good but dont like the black and orange sub.

Do i just need to get the volume of the enclosure the same or is it more complex?

Last edited: