ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft scum - Don't even have MS Office!

dk

911 GTS Cab
OpenOffice will suite most people's needs and as has been mentioned is free.

http://www.openoffice.org as well as open formats it will also open and save in MS formats (*.doc *.xls etc)

Not sure why you'd except a product that you have to pay for to come free with your laptop anyway?

Just in case you missed the few mentions about OpenOffice here you go again ;)

You can open in .doc format which is what MS Word saves it's documents as and you can also save in .doc format.

OpenOffice is a free office suite.
a question, does it support the new office files from 2007, like the xlsx and docx i think they are, they aren't supported by 2003 so i was wondering if openoffice supports them. You can't even download a viewer from MS for them thats all.

You can open in .doc format which is what MS Word saves it's documents as and you can also save in .doc format.

a question, does it support the new office files from 2007, like the xlsx and docx i think they are, they aren't supported by 2003 so i was wondering if openoffice supports them. You can't even download a viewer from MS for them thats all.

yes you can :) (view them in 2003 that is)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I have office 97, 2000, 2000 dutch, and 2003 ;)

Just opened a word document in wordpad?

Not a Clio

Not yet, you'd have to use a converter the same as if you wanted to open them in 2003. From what I've read native support should be coming soon.

dk

911 GTS Cab
  2014 Focus Titanium
Just because many people use pcs and laptops for word processing, not everyone does. I dont use mine for any, just browsing the internet and chatting on mIRC. So therefore the company that I bought my laptop have saved me £80 for not forcing my into buying something I didn't need.

I would say the "car and wheels" analagy is perfect, because nowadays most people have alloys (office) but you don't need them to run the car, and there are those who don't car about having them.

At the end of the day its a luxury not a a requirement, and you have to pay for luxuries.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
You choose the software when you buy it. If they included MS Office in Windows Vista there would be a million and one lawsuits about how they're abusing their position in the market - the same reason they can't and will not include a full blown AV solution in their operating system.

Why is that Microsoft's fault - at times I feel for them. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.

And pay for it, pirating scum. Be it one copy or one thousand, it's theft and is dealt with similarly. To be honest Microsoft have been making it easier for the home user as they know that Works is utter doo. You now get 3 machine licences for Microsoft Office Home and Student edition, and it's priced very well. Several years ago it was a couple of hundred quid for the standard version of Office with similar functionality.
exactly, in some countries they aren't even allowed to include media player or IE i think (possibly france) because of the big law suit that said they were monopolising media playing and web browsing or something.

Why should they give it away free though, when you buy a laptop you are paying for the OS, not for office so thats why you don't get it although most manufacturers now include a 60 day trial of office on pc's which gives you the chance to use it and then buy a key to unlock it if you want to keep it.

What annoys me is that big corporates pay less than joe bloggs on the street, its Joe that can;t afford to pay the ridiculous price of £400 to be able to write a letter.

So while I agree we should pay for it, i think it should be a lot cheaper to the average person.

I get a copy free from work with home user rights so i'm fine.

Apparently with Office 2007 this doesnt apply any more....I still took a copy anyway.

exactly, in some countries they aren't even allowed to include media player or IE i think (possibly france) because of the big law suit that said they were monopolising media playing and web browsing or something.

Why should they give it away free though, when you buy a laptop you are paying for the OS, not for office so thats why you don't get it although most manufacturers now include a 60 day trial of office on pc's which gives you the chance to use it and then buy a key to unlock it if you want to keep it.

What annoys me is that big corporates pay less than joe bloggs on the street, its Joe that can;t afford to pay the ridiculous price of £400 to be able to write a letter.

So while I agree we should pay for it, i think it should be a lot cheaper to the average person.

I get a copy free from work with home user rights so i'm fine.

Apparently with Office 2007 this doesnt apply any more....I still took a copy anyway.

it does still apply if your license agreement allows it