ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft scum - Don't even have MS Office!

Good afternoon

Bought a laptop a while back and need to amend my C.V.

Would you believe that despite it possessing Vista and all sorts of other cr*p that I'll never use, it doesn't have MS Office.

I think Microsoft are monopolising scum who really should have had something done about their hold on the market for PC's. You would think that they would include even basic applications with the price of the laptop... raaaaaaaaaaa.

So, I'm openly asking (no doubt moderators will take a view based on this being my own personal opinion and not that of the club) whether anyone can get me a hooky copy of Word. I'm not someone to steal stuff and appreciate the open market, but this is beyond a joke.

Thanks.

James.

Chelsea tractor
Think there's a 60 day trial of MS office 2007 on the MS website?

2 ticks and I'll get you a link

I could discuss my issues with MS for quite sometime and no doubt for every argument I have, someone will have a counter-argument so it probably won't go anywhere.

You're right though, they didn't sell me the laptop, although that isn't the point here I feel.

Thank you to those who have offered me help in this thread. Problem solved.

James.

Clio 1.2 16v
I could discuss my issues with MS for quite sometime and no doubt for every argument I have, someone will have a counter-argument so it probably won't go anywhere.

You're right though, they didn't sell me the laptop, although that isn't the point here I feel.

James.

If you bought the laptop from someone good then they would have offered you as an attachment, office home and student for about 80 quid.

Complain to the shop and say that they didn't offer it to you when you bought it. Were did you buy it from?

Furthermore, you don't always get alloys or air con as standard when you buy a car, so why should you get office?

James.

If you bought the laptop from someone good then they would have offered you as an attachment, office home and student for about 80 quid.

Complain to the shop and say that they didn't offer it to you when you bought it. Were did you buy it from?

Furthermore, you don't always get alloys or air con as standard when you buy a car, so why should you get office?

Complain to Ebuyer then?

No, the analogy with alloys or air con is fair enough. That said, Kahn or Speedline haven't cornered the market in the same sense and, through Microsoft having made this product the industry standard and something pretty much everyone has to use if they want to use a computer now (Apple aside) I would argue that the minimum one would come to expect is the basics to be included. They give you Vista, but not MS Office?

Quite astounding.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
you must have got something on it, MS Works for example. that includes your basic word processor, spreadsheet aplications etc. Yeh sure its total crap (well i think so anyway), but its the basics.

Better than yours. C*nt.
You choose the software when you buy it. If they included MS Office in Windows Vista there would be a million and one lawsuits about how they're abusing their position in the market - the same reason they can't and will not include a full blown AV solution in their operating system.

Why is that Microsoft's fault - at times I feel for them. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.

And pay for it, pirating scum. Be it one copy or one thousand, it's theft and is dealt with similarly. To be honest Microsoft have been making it easier for the home user as they know that Works is utter doo. You now get 3 machine licences for Microsoft Office Home and Student edition, and it's priced very well. Several years ago it was a couple of hundred quid for the standard version of Office with similar functionality.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
You choose the software when you buy it. If they included MS Office in Windows Vista there would be a million and one lawsuits about how they're abusing their position in the market - the same reason they can't and will not include a full blown AV solution in their operating system.

Why is that Microsoft's fault - at times I feel for them. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.

And pay for it, pirating scum. Be it one copy or one thousand, it's theft and is dealt with similarly. To be honest Microsoft have been making it easier for the home user as they know that Works is utter doo. You now get 3 machine licences for Microsoft Office Home and Student edition, and it's priced very well. Several years ago it was a couple of hundred quid for the standard version of Office with similar functionality.
exactly, in some countries they aren't even allowed to include media player or IE i think (possibly france) because of the big law suit that said they were monopolising media playing and web browsing or something.

Why should they give it away free though, when you buy a laptop you are paying for the OS, not for office so thats why you don't get it although most manufacturers now include a 60 day trial of office on pc's which gives you the chance to use it and then buy a key to unlock it if you want to keep it.

What annoys me is that big corporates pay less than joe bloggs on the street, its Joe that can;t afford to pay the ridiculous price of £400 to be able to write a letter.

So while I agree we should pay for it, i think it should be a lot cheaper to the average person.

I get a copy free from work with home user rights so i'm fine.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i don't see what the problem is? You bought a laptop which clearly didn't include office. Is that Microsofts fault?

I use open office, its free and completely compatible with Ms office.

Yaris Hybrid
This is terribly unfair on Microsoft! As someone else has said they have faced complaints of being anti-competitive by bundling software in with Windows (e.g. Mediaplayer) which then gives consumers little reason to examine alternatives on the market.

The EU have been trying to clamp down and as a result it will make matters worse as one day you will get Windows but with no media player, no movie maker and maybe not even Internet Explorer.

I'd rather have it all built in just like you but blame all the fags at the EU etc that are against it. You can guarantee that when the Euro gayboys have finished it will just make it worse for consumers, you will have to download most of it seperately and it will end up costing more and being more buggy.

Any way most home users have pirated versions of Office. Fortunately I can take advantage of a home use agreement through work and just paid £17 for Office 2007.

Not a Clio
OpenOffice will suite most people's needs and as has been mentioned is free.

http://www.openoffice.org as well as open formats it will also open and save in MS formats (*.doc *.xls etc)

Not sure why you'd except a product that you have to pay for to come free with your laptop anyway?

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
We get customers who supply files to us and when asked what they have used to set the file up, they say 'windows'!!!

Not a Clio
We get customers who supply files to us and when asked what they have used to set the file up, they say 'windows'!!!

Sounds like my dad, he apparently uses google when we wants to look at web pages. Google is his homepage so that's what he thinks he's using.

Maybe the fact you don't engage in open discussion is the reason for believing that Office should have been included with your laptop. Counter arguments are usually the answer you've been looking for.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
It gets worse.. I just bought a new car.. but to my horror, it didn't come with the free garage with house attached.. WTF ?

I don't engage in open discussion because:

a. I only have five posts a day and the way CS has gone (a la Puntosports) I don't see as I want to contribute, so I am stuck with this. Ironically, aside from the personal insults and 'thick' insinuations, this is a fairly informed and intelligent thread.
b. I don't see that my opinion on the monopoly that MS has in the UK market will change on the basis of a pro-MS forum user's comments.

If I was to engage in open discussion on a one to one voice chat (i.e. not over the internet) then I would happily attempt to learn something.

I just feel that if they are going to monopolise a market and do so in such a fashion that what they have deemed to be the industry standard should be included as a basic package. Perhaps this is the fault of the laptop maker for not paying to have the package installed, I don't know.

I have any number of issues with MS but the amount of people using it makes me feel like compatibility-wise, I am pretty much pigeon-holed into having to have their software. As such, rather than the air-con/car comparison, I see it as more a wheels/car comparison, but there.

KDF, either you are a genuine pillock, or rather you are exaggerating to make a point. Either way, thanks for the 'clever' analogy (that doesn't work).

Thanks for the pirating scum comment too, expected, but amusing nevertheless.

I guess perhaps the pragmatic answer is that if the average user didn't have to pay £400.00 just to write a letter it wouldn't be so hard to swallow.

they dont have to spend 400 to write a letter (£87 from pc world for office 2007 home)

people have given you options you have just decided to ignore them and carry on your anti MS rant

if its anyones fault its teh shop you bought it from for not telling you that you needed the software, but tbh it user error as even my parents know you only get the OS with machines unless it explicitly says !

Not a Clio
OpenOffice will suite most people's needs and as has been mentioned is free.

http://www.openoffice.org as well as open formats it will also open and save in MS formats (*.doc *.xls etc)

Not sure why you'd except a product that you have to pay for to come free with your laptop anyway?

Just in case you missed the few mentions about OpenOffice here you go again ;)

You can open in .doc format which is what MS Word saves it's documents as and you can also save in .doc format.

OpenOffice is a free office suite.

you could even write stuff in word pad lol

Lol, "Dear Sirs, please see enclosed my C.V. for your attention, sorry about the font..."

;)

I'm not continuing my rant, just replying to some who seemed to want one. Who said I have ignored the options, either?

Ultra Red Clio 197
I got my Genuine copy of Office 2003 professional for £20! At the time my uncle worked for Microsoft! any piece of software was £20 each to employees! I got xp pro, flight simulator, Digital image pro all for £80! BARGAIN! get a job at microsoft and you'll be sorted! however you are limited to how much software you can buy because my first idea was to hit ebay and make a mint! lol.. but unfortunetly that couldnt be done! lol

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16v
I got my Genuine copy of Office 2003 professional for £20! At the time my uncle worked for Microsoft! any piece of software was £20 each to employees! I got xp pro, flight simulator, Digital image pro all for £80! BARGAIN! get a job at microsoft and you'll be sorted! however you are limited to how much software you can buy because my first idea was to hit ebay and make a mint! lol.. but unfortunetly that couldnt be done! lol

^^^ listen to this man

Buy office 2007 first, then write your CV on it, and your covering letter.

FAO BILL GATES

Thats BEE EYE ELL ELL GEE AIII TEEE EEEEEEEEE ESSSSSSS

Does OSX Leopard, Zebra, Ox, or whatever it's called come with a free package that supports the Office standard? Genuine question :)

The fact that Miscrosoft have been able to make their software the industry standard surely makes them good at business, not scum? The alternative would be to write your own operating system, including your own 'office' standard and market it worldwide with biblical success. Not likely to happen is it?

Life isn't fair. Move on IMO ;)

Fiesta ST
I just feel that if they are going to monopolise a market and do so in such a fashion that what they have deemed to be the industry standard should be included as a basic package. Perhaps this is the fault of the laptop maker for not paying to have the package installed, I don't know.

a) They don't monopolise the market. There is alternatives out there.

b) Why is it the fault of the laptop maker? It's not their software? If you want it then you have to pay for it?

c) I just don't see what your argument is? Just because some software is popular, it should be free?