ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

megane or boost the clio

clio 172 cup
wanting boost in my life but unsure what path to take i have saved around 4k up as believe its going to cost around 3500 all in the for clio but then it comes down to the wear on all the other parts as they werent made to handle the POWAHHH ect.
Which leads me to the megane but its quite a heavy brute and wondering if the weight would ofset the majority of the power difference im just wondering what other people opinions are on this subject.
Been looking at various models of the megane but unsure what pro's cons are of each individual one is know some people on here have the meganes so just wondering what there thoughts are.

Trophy
F1 R26
Cup

many thanks

clio 172 cup
standard ive saved up the money for one big overhaul instead of bits and bobs and just road use

Changes to often
boost the clio, yeh you wont really get it back but to be honest, if you spent a few grand on a holiday you dont get anything back from that apart from clap

Cup In bits
I swear everyone lately is on about boosting their clio

Boost mad just now, you would think its new technology or something.

Turbo'd Clio and a megane don't compare, a Clio will never feel refined turbo'd where as a Megane can. Clio - raw - fun , Megane - refined- practical.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Sensible option is to buy a meg and spend a little on it and enjoy. Little newer etc. Clio, well if you've got money to lose then do it. Many have.

Countryman JCW
I feel I can give a fairly honest overview of this.

I started with a ph1 Clio, sold it because I got bored (don’t know how as bang for buck they are still to this day the most fun car ive owned). Bought myself an Evo 5 that as mentioned previously in this thread was a money pit so I got rid after id had my fun. I then went on to buy a mini cooper s (supercharged) and got bored of that pretty quickly, so found a mint 182FF. After a few months of ownership I had some money left over from selling the mini and looked to boosting my ph1 that I kept despite getting the Evo. The 182 was sold and the funds put towards boosting the ph1 but found the 172 cup turbo I now own at a fraction of the price, so got that instead. Whilst selling the mini I test drove a Megane R26 with a view to buy and found it a little too refined for my liking and actually preferred the go-kart feeling/drive of the mini I had at the time so immediately put that idea to rest.

If it were my money I would get the Clio boosted. It’s a pretty quick fun car to drive in standard form, but with a few more horses under the bonnet id say its great! Yeah you wont get your money back as such but id say you will save a lot of that money on repairs/tyres/insurance as the parts are readily available and cheaper than other cars like Meganes, Focus RS, Evo etc... and you will be able to go just as fast without considering your bank balance every time you put your foot down.

Hope this helps…

Audi A3
buy a meg,
when it comes re-sale and you need the money it'll be so much easier.
more comfortable, less problems i imagine too.

i understand everyone is different but seriously, £4000 on 'doing up' a clio? you're mad if you do.

what about holidays and your home and security.

you'll regret it down the line if you.

(unless of course you're loaded, if so then crack on)

2016 Audi RS3
I went from a 172 Cup to a Megane 250 Cup and have just picked up a 182 to do some track days. Clio is much more engaging and dare I say it fun to drive, also I don't think there is much difference between the Meg/Clio in terms of point to point speed if you're driving a twisty B-road for instance.

My advice would be to get the Meg if you plan to use it as a daily driver, if you want a rolling project/toy I would boost your Clio as it will be a far more exciting car than a Meg RS could ever be IMHO.

Clio Trophy #343
out of interest what have you assumed the 4k turbo conversionn to cover? is that simply the bolt on parts and some labour or the bolt on conversion, an engine overhaul and doing it yourself?

to do a turbo conversion I dont belive it will end at 4k if done properly with everything else to match, i.e diff, managemnet, brakes and suspension to stop, keep you on the road and ulitmately have useable power.

I admit I have no experiance with clio's, however I have gone down this route in the vauxhall world and unless its done to a professional standard throughout it will be an endless money pit.

2016 Audi RS3
out of interest what have you assumed the 4k turbo conversionn to cover? is that simply the bolt on parts and some labour or the bolt on conversion, an engine overhaul and doing it yourself?

to do a turbo conversion I dont belive it will end at 4k if done properly with everything else to match, i.e diff, managemnet, brakes and suspension to stop, keep you on the road and ulitmately have useable power.

I admit I have no experiance with clio's, however I have gone down this route in the vauxhall world and unless its done to a professional standard throughout it will be an endless money pit.

I personally think the standard 1*2 chassis is capable of supporting quite a bit more power than the standard engine produces.

£4k would get you a fairly basic low level conversion IMO, if you're going for crazy power then yes, other things would need to be upgraded.

clio 182 sport

I dont think you would need to do the diff, Brakes yes and i didnt like standard springs anyways but im sure engine dynamics do a kit for 2.5k people on here are saying that will take you to an easy 220bhp which is still a massive difference to standard. and then you will have some money left to play with.

I have been in a megane and i own a clio 182 and there 2 totally different cars, i would bet the clio would be more fun like everyone is saying but i bet itl be alot more hassle aswell going turbo ....... its your choice at the end of the day.

clio 172 cup
resale isnt at the top of the list i want a fun car something thats a pleasure to drive and heard the megane is to electronic ect where as clio is more raw especialy as i have a cup though the chewing gum rear brakes is a concern as we all know how hopeless they are.

Also people saying im mad to spend 3-4k on a clio well in my eyes id end up with a whole lot more car and more enjoyment than if i spent that same money getting a megane

and i agree with what people say about alot of people all of sudden jumping on the boost band wagon but i personally feel its got to the point where is very reasonably priced and been done so much that taken alot of the guess work out ect

clio 172 cup
and to add im about to get company car so wont be an issue in regards to time scale and it being of the road

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I know many say you'll never get your money back on boost. I know you're never gonna get all your money back, but given the increasing interest in boosting a Clio, and the increasing quality of parts available, increasing quantity of experts doing the work (Engine Dynamics for example) rather than a bloke in his shed, all these factors should aid resale, as buying a turbo Clio is gonna be less of a punt. I'd of thought if you put 4k into a Clio, you'd see some of that back in resale if you sold it to a forum member, if the car has a well documented build history on forum.

If Chip was selling his boosted Clio I imagine imagine it'd generate big interest, given everyone knows how knowledgeable he is on the subject, obviously he'd never make his money back because he's poured god knows how much into his, but the case still stands; we're no longer in the stage of trial and error, we've reached a stage where the best combinations available for a boosted Clio have become known, so realistically, if you could get everything done for a reasonable price then I don't think you'd lose all you've poured into it come resale.

EDIT: Disclaimer: this is just my thinking, I don't have enough in-depth knowledge to be sure, would be interested to hear what others have to say on the matter though.

clio 172 cup
i think ive decided on clio boost! its what i wanted to do in first place the megane was after thought but since they come with roughly 220-230 bhp and are a heavy beast it makes sense to boost the clio for a similar bhp figure if not more with alot less weight espcially since im about to purchase fibre glass doors tailgate and bonnet should increase bhp p.t even more

2016 Audi RS3
i think ive decided on clio boost! its what i wanted to do in first place the megane was after thought but since they come with roughly 220-230 bhp and are a heavy beast it makes sense to boost the clio for a similar bhp figure if not more with alot less weight espcially since im about to purchase fibre glass doors tailgate and bonnet should increase bhp p.t even more

Don't think you'd be able to exceed this (220-230) by much in a Clio without spending some coin, some of the Meganes come with a limited slip differential which is useful if you want to put serious power through the front wheels.

At least you'll keep nice and warm in these harsh winters with a turbocharger packed into the Clio's compact engine bay ;-)

clio 172 cup
i agree but its not all about raw powah! its power to weight and boosted clio pushing 220 bhp with the light weight mods i have in mind (fibre glass doors boot bonnet) as well as few interior bits removed dont want it to spartan will ensure itll be alot more car than the megane