ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mega squirt ecu

bmw 530 sport
Hi all has anyone on here fitted and programmed a mega squirt plug n play ecu ???
Any good??
Or has anyone got an ecu lying about
Thanks gary

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Megasquirt is a broad range of Ecus.

And I'm not aware of a plug and play one for the Clio.

The new microsquirt is a very nicely made bit of kit that's capable on a budget.

early home built examples can be ropey as hell and people with no firsthand knowledge of the more modern professionally built units will **** the whole mega squirt name off through ignorance based on that early dodgy beginning for the project.

They are one of the best Ecus available in terms of a decent transient fuelling option for example
though, comparable to OEM stuff of a few years ago and hence they make the other litter at the cheap end of the market like emerald or canems look very outdated and basic indeed.

ive mapped a very wide range of Ecus including stuff at the high end of the market like autronic sm4 etc. and I can honestly say the megasquirt (if it's a professionally built modern unit) can hold it's own with them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
absolute tosh. people with moths in their wallet will disagree

Or more accurately people with knowledge in their head.

I've currently got ecu's on my various cars of hugely differing price ranges and have a pretty large annual budget to play with cars with compared to most people in the world of clios. So cost isn't an issue to me particularly but an ecu that delivers is.

I can do stuff with a megasquirt with boost control for example that something like an omex 600 for example utterly cannot ever do.
You simply do not know what you are talking about on the subject of megasquirt. Simple as that.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What does professionally built bring to the table?

What is the issue with home build ones? Just inexperienced solderers or is it something deeper?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What does professionally built bring to the table?

What is the issue with home build ones? Just inexperienced solderers or is it something deeper?

Yes mate exactly that. Home built example with a dry joint on an injector driver and it's bye bye engine. Modern machine assembled units like the microsquirt though for example are as well manufacturered and batch tested etc just like other Ecus.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
When I get around to doing the MS thing, I was planning on using a kit, although I'd like to think I was competent enough to do a decent job.

Of course, having a few rolls of good old lead based solder helps, too :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you build it yourself it's under your own control. If you go buy some assembled in a bedroom example off eBay someone has soldered up as quick as poss to turn a profit or had a go at building (badly) for a challenge and then decided to sell then it's not good at all.

I'm not slagging off ALL home built ones as some work well. I'm just warning people off buying an already home built one as it's such a lottery.

172/B8 Quattro
Ms3 is very capable and puts engine into limp mode if it detects any issues with car (ideal for race/track cars)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
While we are on the subject, have you used Auto tune at all?

When I get around to it, I was hoping to get the majority of it mapped with autotune before taking it to someone willing to talk me through what they are doing when mapping it properly. No idea if autotune is that capable though.

Not likely until winter comes around again, mind.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I personally don't use autotune so although I can advise on most things MS from personal experience that isn't one of them. But be careful thinking it can map your car as with the best will in the world it's only going to do the fuelling and a lot of dead engines are caused by ignition.

I think tools like autotune are ok in certain circumstances like part throttle tweaking but I don't ever think that being in the hands of someone who isn't a good mapper is one of those times as how will you know if it is going wrong?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd personally recommend microsquirt unless you have a very complex engine management requirement. It's super affordable and very well made. It has some obvious downsides like limited number of spark and coil outputs but on a 172 that's just not going to be an issue.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Autotune works perfectly but tbh if you don't know anything about it it won't help you.

all it does is dialing in the fuel cells with feedback from the lambda(wideband!) sensor.

that doesn't mean it's an install, start and run solution!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Interesting, as I'm looking at ECU options for the trophy and ITB's, I was all set on Omex 600 to carry out that chore for me but I'm intrigued with this now.