ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Me and bigash at the ring in my mrs 172

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Jesus christ!!! 32m!! Thats a fairly good performance!

Any pictures of the damage? I understand if you dont want to post them on a public forum etc! :eek:

You were considering going without insurance?

Been there before for a week without any - horror stories are about but people over-react way too much. I did 10+ laps without any drama at all, you just have to know the track and know the limits of your car IMO

We are with Keith Michaels PLC mate, you have to be covered with them for the year as a road car and then they sell you day by day cover at the circuits, they wont cover you on track only if you arent with them for the whole year on the road too though.

Cheers mate - that's fine by me, I'm getting raped by Adrian Fux at the moment and they're never getting a penny from me ever again - so looking to switch my insurance next year anyway

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
You were considering going without insurance?

Its nigh on impossible to get insurance for the 'ring. I bet 95% of the brits there have no insurance.

I've been going on a regular basis for 6 years and haven’t been able to insure one trip there, it would be nice but you makes your choices and live with the outcome should it go wrong.

Most of the incidents are probably sub 5k-10k which isn’t the end of the world. Well, I'm a baller so not for me.

Not looking to open a 'ring insurance debate here but that’s the reality of it.

I'd like to be more resposible with it, mind. LOL. But I'm generally a risk taker on most aspects of life and have little regrets and shed loads of fun (so far!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Jesus christ!!! 32m!! Thats a fairly good performance!

Any pictures of the damage? I understand if you dont want to post them on a public forum etc! :eek:

NurburgringTripApril06135.jpg

Front went in, then span the car round and the arse went in too.

Centre console didnt fit anymore afterwards.

172, Tiguan
Been there before for a week without any - horror stories are about but people over-react way too much. I did 10+ laps without any drama at all, you just have to know the track and know the limits of your car IMO

Its nigh on impossible to get insurance for the 'ring. I bet 95% of the brits there have no insurance.

I've been going on a regular basis for 6 years and haven’t been able to insure one trip there, it would be nice but you makes your choices and live with the outcome should it go wrong.

Most of the incidents are probably sub 5k-10k which isn’t the end of the world. Well, I'm a baller so not for me.

Not looking to open a 'ring insurance debate here but that’s the reality of it.

I'd like to be more resposible with it, mind. LOL. But I'm generally a risk taker on most aspects of life and have little regrets and shed loads of fun (so far!)

Sorry guy's, but you're both complete idiots.

I'm not talking about crashing and paying for barriers and car repairs, we can all manage that. I'm talking about the time a hose splits and coolant leaks out. You pull over immediately, but a car spins and maybe a biker comes down at high speed (I've seen it happen a lot!). The crash causes the biker to break something badly, or worse, paralises them (lets not think of death). No insurance? You are paying for them for the rest of your life as well as a nice visit from the Polizei.

Think it doesn't happen? think again! I've been in a car with 3 other CS members when a Focus RS in front of us spat a pipe out. I saved the spin, and we pulled over straight away, as did the focus, but even with us waving people down a biker still came down. Who'd be responsible? The focus driver!

Plenty about this on Northloop forum

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Basically the liability element that JR is talking about has put me off for life.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Sorry guy's, but you're both complete idiots.

I'm not talking about crashing and paying for barriers and car repairs, we can all manage that. I'm talking about the time a hose splits and coolant leaks out. You pull over immediately, but a car spins and maybe a biker comes down at high speed (I've seen it happen a lot!). The crash causes the biker to break something badly, or worse, paralises them (lets not think of death). No insurance? You are paying for them for the rest of your life as well as a nice visit from the Polizei.

Think it doesn't happen? think again! I've been in a car with 3 other CS members when a Focus RS spat a pipe out. I saved the spin, and we pulled over straight away but even with us waving people down a biker still came down. Who'd be responsible? The focus driver!

Plenty about this on Northloop forum

So don't get insurance, don’t go? 99% of people cant get cover.

Place would be closed in about two years! Judging by its current performance.

I could think of 100's of scenarios in everyday life that could change mine completely, you makes your choices and live with the consequences.

I wouldn't be posting grovel on here if it even happens to me, I knew the risks.

172, Tiguan
You do realise though that even slight contact with another driver/biker and the likelyhood is the police will roll up. You do realise what will happen if you've got no insurance? Even an accident into the barrier and they'll be after your docs.

Utter madness Ben.

(Sorry Chip btw)

E90
So don't get insurance, don’t go? 99% of people cant get cover.

Place would be closed in about two years! Judging by its current performance.

I could think of 100's of scenarios in everyday life that could change mine completely, you makes your choices and live with the consequences.

I wouldn't be posting grovel on here if it even happens to me, I knew the risks.

Ben who on here used to go to the ring more than Jon R, Tom and myself etc.

There is a reason we don't go anymore and that reason is the insurance thing, it really isn't worth the risk.

Trackdays you are absolved from third party damage, its just s**t luck for anyone else involved in your accident.

The ring won't close because brit's stop going, there is more chance of it closing because Brits do go, and then run away from big accidents etc .

That could happen on any track UK or Ring - and 99% of people have no insurance on either

You have your opinion - that's fine - you don't have to ram it down everyone elses throat though. Everyone knows the risks when they go
I've done track days for 2 years and never had a coolant leak or an oil leak or any other such incident on track - there's no reason to think that would be any more likely on the Ring

I also agree with Ben - it's so expensive and difficult to get insurance for the Ring if everyone just stopped going then it would be shut in under 12 months

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Was with some guys at the weekend who smashed his mini into the wall (uk)

Paid the £600 euros and then got smashed in the pub.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but things appear to be massively over exaggerated by users, mainly north loop and other cliques.

I think the poliezi would be more bothered by the 8 ball of ching in my hotel and the dead hookers in the laundry bin

Every time I jump into my Cessna i've got more chance of dying (statistically) then killing someone on the ring. I want to die less over a biker.

Last edited:
Yep - northloop massively over exagerate it - really does nothing to help get people over there - it just scares most people
I think that's what they prefer though as they're a bunch of elitists who want the ring to be something they can brag about rather than somewhere everyone goes to for a random long weekend away

172, Tiguan
That could happen on any track UK or Ring - and 99% of people have no insurance on either

You have your opinion - that's fine - you don't have to ram it down everyone elses throat though. Everyone knows the risks when they go
I've done track days for 2 years and never had a coolant leak or an oil leak or any other such incident on track - there's no reason to think that would be any more likely on the Ring

I also agree with Ben - it's so expensive and difficult to get insurance for the Ring if everyone just stopped going then it would be shut in under 12 months

A UK trackday is very different from a TF day on the Ring. German road laws apply for one. Last time i checked, having no insurance was illegal on a road.

The Ring will survive long after the Brits stop going.

172, Tiguan
Yep - northloop massively over exagerate it - really does nothing to help get people over there - it just scares most people
I think that's what they prefer though as they're a bunch of elitists who want the ring to be something they can brag about rather than somewhere everyone goes to for a random long weekend away

Most of the Northloop guys don't actively do TF anymore, but lots of them were on the recent DN6 day where the insurance rules are the same as a UK day and therefore there is no need for the third party insurance.

I pity the poor sod that is unfortunate enough to get anywhere near you on the Ring.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
There's clearly a lack of understanding on what the ring is, judging by the responses.

I pity the poor sod that is unfortunate enough to get anywhere near you on the Ring.

LMFAO - yeah ok nice response.
Fact is 99% of people there are uninsured when on the ring - I know this. The risk of one of them hitting me is just as high as the risk of me hitting them. I could lose my car just as easy as I could damage someone elses. It's a risk - a risk people understand.

That's EXACTLY the same as a UK track day - if someone goes into me at Donington I've lost my car - if I go into someone there they've lost their car.

Yes we all understand the ring is a public toll road with speed limits and German law applies - but I'd be willing to bet 50% of people that go don't have insurance to drive through europe anyway

It's very over dramatised - all the "crash and you'll easily lose £10k +" nonsense

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well that just makes it even worse. You know you are an idiot and persist.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
This year and last are the first time the ring hasn't been excluded on my policy. Having had it looked at by agt that used to be on northloop his comment was that it was about as good cover you can get on a road policy.

I know the risks but it doesn't stop me going. I love the place far to much. I do around 12 laps a trip and never at the pace I would do a UK trackday.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I'm not classing it in the same boat as a UK trackday. Two very different things.

All I'm saying is I'm aware of the risk, past problems people have had and had a made a choice to continue.

Not looking for anyone to agree with me.

Back on topic! Glad you had fun Chip!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LMFAO - yeah ok nice response.
Fact is 99% of people there are uninsured when on the ring - I know this. The risk of one of them hitting me is just as high as the risk of me hitting them. I could lose my car just as easy as I could damage someone elses. It's a risk - a risk people understand.

That's EXACTLY the same as a UK track day - if someone goes into me at Donington I've lost my car - if I go into someone there they've lost their car.

Yes we all understand the ring is a public toll road with speed limits and German law applies - but I'd be willing to bet 50% of people that go don't have insurance to drive through europe anyway

It's very over dramatised - all the "crash and you'll easily lose £10k +" nonsense

Germans are Insured on there Phil, its most of the UK drivers with current uk insurance who aren’t. I think they would have to pursue you personally if no insurance was in place.

They would be entitled to (my understanding)

As would a UK driver, technically.

All of the above I'm aware of when I pass the barrier.

Uk track is pretty much what you put, mind.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Jon, although you dont have to pay for other cars if you cause a big crash on a DN day, you DO still have to pay for barriers, so its quite easy to get into 10s of thousands of pounds of liability still, hence we insured for that day too.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Was gutted when I saw the track day there, didn't even know they did that. Would love to do that next year in the GT3

The weather was perfect too on the Monday! We went to Kerpen, karting then drove home (with no seatbelts on like big boys ;) )

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Was gutted when I saw the track day there, didn't even know they did that. Would love to do that next year in the GT3

The weather was perfect too on the Monday! We went to Kerpen, karting then drove home (with no seatbelts on like big boys ;) )

Monday was Epic. There were spaces for sale. Why didnt you try and get on?!?!?

PB Clio 172
thats a cracking pic there chip so clear love it and I see OCD has some new seats, look forward to seeing them and a ride in the turbo

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I was in my GP:

attachment.php

Went on the trip with Ben_p and Dave off of here. Brilliant. My 2nd time there... can't wait to get back.

172, Tiguan
Jon, although you dont have to pay for other cars if you cause a big crash on a DN day, you DO still have to pay for barriers, so its quite easy to get into 10s of thousands of pounds of liability still, hence we insured for that day too.

Yeah, i'm aware of this Chip. That's why I think it was still very sensible to cover yourself in my opinion.

Phil, the comment that '99% of others aren't insured so it's fine for me' is just such a rediculous statement it's untrue. It clearly shows a lack of knowledge of the place and the rules. For a start all European drivers are indeed covered on their policies. Brits don't make up 100% of the drivers, on some weekdays they don't even make up 10% of the drivers.

It's a bit like a Polish guy (for example) who isn't insured over here crashing into you and potentially killing you or your family. By your rules what he is doing is totally fine as 99% of the others are all doing it too!

I meant 99% of UK drivers - sorry.

There's about 1/3rd of cars on the road today don't have insurance - so I'm just as likely to get hit by a UK pikey in a van with no insurance as I am a Polish guy.
I'm not saying it's totally fine - I'm just saying it's a risk and if people understand the risk and still want to take it then fair enough.
If the germans were worried about it they'd check your insurance before selling you a ticket. As it is they don't scrutineer cars at all or even ask for a driving license

Also a lot of the cars that have been on the Ring while i've been there have been trailered track cars - so won't have insurance/tax or anything on them.

172, Tiguan
They won't let a non road legal German car on at all. All the German cars need TUV approval on a TF day. Obviously trackdays are fine.

I've been there in the past where the TUV guys will pull you over and check the car + paperwork as well. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. A friend of mine drove all the way there on a whim one weekend but his taxed had lapsed that week. They sent him packing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd like to take my nova round one day, but Im not sure the germans would have much of a sense of humour about the lack of TUV suitability of this:
DSC_1826.jpg

Technically as its a UK car it doesnt need TUV etc, but I really wouldnt want to be stood there discussing that with a german copper after a crash.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I'd like to take my nova round one day, but Im not sure the germans would have much of a sense of humour about the lack of TUV suitability of this:
DSC_1826.jpg

Technically as its a UK car it doesnt need TUV etc, but I really wouldnt want to be stood there discussing that with a german copper after a crash.

You could claim an failed attempt to get "back to the future"

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I thought they were getting extremely strict about the standard of cars at the ring. IE you have a cage thats not covered by foam etc and they won't let you on. I guess you could risk it but fcuk driving over there to find out you're not allowed on.

As for insurance, again, its whether you want to risk it i guess and can afford to fork out a shed load of euros if something goes wrong (that might not necessarily be your fault).

How much would you be talking for a couple of days insurance at the ring? If its couple of hundred quid then then you'd be a bit of a numpty not to bother.

E90
As said it's not the losing of your car that is the issue, most of us could and do live with the risk on UK Trackdays that if you stack it thats that. Lots of us use a cheaper track car for this reason, some people use a 20k + car on finance, stack it and carry on paying for it long after it's gone to the scrap yard.

The ring issue is far more complicated, forgetting hitting the barrier paying for it and losing your car on a TD, its about the liability issues on TF days. Lets talk worst case, if you were to kill another party and your car was indeed not insured " on the nurburgring nordscheife" to cover the costs involved in this type of thing, you would be committing a CRIMINAL offence under German law. As we are part of the EU and this is criminal and not civil they WOULD be able to come to this country and get you.

Forget all this talk of cliques, there is a very good reason 80% of the people on Northloop no longer drive TF days. Ignore this at your peril, whats the worst that could happen........... ( getting into a plane with ben, not included)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Weeman and others, there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread TBH, actually in terms of 3rd party liability, ALL uk insurance does actually cover you at the ring as far as the germans are concerned, so there is no such criminal offence, they will get a payout from your insurers but if there is an exclusion in the policy the insurers may then attempt to recover it from you in a uk court, although I suspect they would do so without success, you would almost certainly end up blacklisted in some manner though by them and hence have to answer "yes" to the "have you ever had insurance refused or cancelled" question which might getting insurance in future more difficult.

Under the 1988 road traffic act in fact its illegal to insure someone and not cover all roads in the member states.

Specifically see section 145(3) and section 148 of the Road Traffic Act.