ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matching an Amp to my Subs.. Help!

Decked Dirty Diesel!
Hello All,I know very little about amp/sub set ups etc so bear with me here.I recently bought a custom bootbuild that came with two 12" Sony Xplod 1200 watt Subwoofers, These subs run at 350Watt RMS each so i'll need a 700Watt RMS amp, right?Each sub has one positive and one negative cable running from it, i think this means its a Single Voice coil 4ohm? I'm pretty sure a Mono amp would be best, So i need to find an amp thats capable of 700watt RMS @ 2 ohms? Correct me if i'm wrong.Here is the sub information:http://www.carsound.com/articles/publish/printer_17.shtml Would this amp be suitable? Its the only one i can find thats around 700watt RMS and a reasonable price. (plus it comes with the wiring kit and power cap which is nice)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350728241030?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Any help would be appreciatedCheers,Lee

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If i remember correctly, if you find an amp stable at 2ohm that will run 750-800w, you should be fine

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
PS - Something like this would be better

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audison-sr1dk.html

than that cheap tat you put up. Never scrimp on amps or wires. A rubbish amp can clip out and take both your subs with it.

Oh, and you dont need a powercap either. They are a drain themselves. Upgrade your wiring under the bonnet, can an upgraded alt too.

ITB BG 182
Give yourself abit of space with the RMS, if you need 700rms at 2 Ohm then head for 800rms at 2 Ohms as then you wont be running on full gain/power. Also if you think about upgrading later on with the subs then you only need to buy once.

I run this amp and its more than enough, then again ive gone down to 1ohm and on a 3000/1000 watts/rms sub.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spl-dynamics-ice1500d.html

Wiring aswell, DO NOT GO CHEAP!! Dont buy caraudiocentre \ inphase crap! If you plan on running a 4ch amp aswell as the mono then get some 0awg power wire from the battery to an ANL fuse as close as possble to the battery connection, then run this to your boot and into a fused dizzy block (distribution/splitter block) and have one for the mono and one for the 4ch amp, pref no less than 4awg power cable, then from the amps earth to your earthing point.

If you dont plan on using bigger subs at any point then you might get away with 2awg power cable but i would not recommend it.

Any gear, buy it from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk with their excellent service, knowledge, prices and aftersales too..!

Decked Dirty Diesel!
Give yourself abit of space with the RMS, if you need 700rms at 2 Ohm then head for 800rms at 2 Ohms as then you wont be running on full gain/power. Also if you think about upgrading later on with the subs then you only need to buy once.

I run this amp and its more than enough, then again ive gone down to 1ohm and on a 3000/1000 watts/rms sub.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/spl-dynamics-ice1500d.html

Wiring aswell, DO NOT GO CHEAP!! Dont buy caraudiocentre \ inphase crap! If you plan on running a 4ch amp aswell as the mono then get some 0awg power wire from the battery to an ANL fuse as close as possble to the battery connection, then run this to your boot and into a fused dizzy block (distribution/splitter block) and have one for the mono and one for the 4ch amp, pref no less than 4awg power cable, then from the amps earth to your earthing point.

If you dont plan on using bigger subs at any point then you might get away with 2awg power cable but i would not recommend it.

Any gear, buy it from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk with their excellent service, knowledge, prices and aftersales too..!

ok thanks for your help man,

just a quick question
if i buy a amp that does 1000watt Rms @ 2ohms (Vibe Backair mono one) for example, can I still use that with my current subs? like do i have to use all the power or can you adjust it?

thanks.

ITB BG 182
ok thanks for your help man,

just a quick question
if i buy a amp that does 1000watt Rms @ 2ohms (Vibe Backair mono one) for example, can I still use that with my current subs? like do i have to use all the power or can you adjust it?

thanks.

You can turn the in-power down, I have an amp that is capable of 1500rms and only run a 1000rms sub, this means that the power is not on full and it gets more than enough power to run my sub without struggling from power drain or clipping. Also the amp runs cold rather than streching it and running hot as then you have to worry about cooling and enough ventilation around where the amp is placed.