ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

amp help

clio 1.2 mk2 phase 1
could be a bit of a noob question lol basically ive alway had a sub and amp in my car but they have always come together as a pair.now i found a jbl sub for 15quid but its got no amp so im gunna have to find one. my question is does the amp wattage have to be the same or bigger than the sub ie the sub im getting is 1000watts so will i need a 1000,1200 etc amp any help would be great thanks

Polo + Micra
is that a 1000w Peak or RMS?

as that makes a hell of a difference.

rule of thumb is you get an amp with more power than the rating of the speaker

clio 1.2 mk2 phase 1
i dunno mate not got it yet ill try nd find out which

i always thought rms was the rating and the peak was what it would give when wired up to a sub is that wrong ??
shows how much i know lol

Polo + Micra
they are both ratings of the sub/amp/speaker

one is a bunch of marketing lies and the other is a true rating (RMS)

you can only match RMS ratings as other ratings are made up in different ways by different companys

clio 182
Goin from yur description of the the sub and price etc i personaly would say that this is a jbl sub from around 3-4yrs ago ( actualy says jbl and 1000w on the sub face) and its an peak and rms wbea round 275 iirc. i have two jbl gt12 series from around 9 yrs ago both around the 1000w peak and i used a bridge alpine 400w amp to power the both of them .... also cheap amps ie toxic and such like steer clear better quality ones are the better choice ( get second hand aslong as it works) i only paid £40 for my alpine one.

Polo + Micra
right then so if the amp has more watts than the sub (rms) then it should be fine

not quite as you need to know the "resistance" of the sub

take this amp it is a 300wRMS but only into 1 ohm and only 175wRMS into 4 ohms

where as this amp into 4 ohms is 350wRMS

clio 182
so like this then?

jbl-gt312.jpg

if so its the old gt series like i have then if its a 12" then a 400w amp will be perfectly ok.

clio 182
i personaly have ran 2 for the past 8 yrs never had a problem with them and you get better base tones out of them compared to the newer series as long as u have your amp set up right ( not full base and input levels like a chav) you can set them up brilliantly