ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Matched inlets and remap - Do you tell your insurance company?

i wouldnt say anything personally. On any mod! Because im young, they would charge me through the roof if i add anything else to it. Its expensive how it is!!! Just keep your mouth shut and protest your innocense if anything comes up that i very much doubt will! I can say that 90% people i know with mods dont declare! But im young and have young mates so they cant really afford to declare. Everyone wants more power though so saying that you shouldnt get the mod if you cant afford to declare would be wrong as i knew someone who wanted to put a k&n cone filter on his zetec s at 18 was told by his insurers that he had to wait till he was 21 to do that! unless he wanted to pay an extra £600!! There just money theiving b******s who want to rip you off for all you got because there greedy! And they know they can get away with doing it because they can!

Dear oh dear...

Albi Blue 197
Dear oh dear...

Its okay to declare if you have full ncb, been driving for years, or at a decent insurance age because declaring mods will be cheaper for you! But when your not even out of your teens yet and lets face it...every young man with a fast car is paying alot of insurance, but also every young man who's a car enthusiast wants to make there car faster, you just cant afford to declare. Like i said...90% of people i know dont declare and all that 90% havent had a problem! I mean if you turbo your car or s/c it then yes! defo declare, but a remap and matched inlets...i reckon insurance would want silly money just for that from me due to my age! I wouldnt bother if your young but if your old enough to, then yes! If i had a remap and matched inlets and was involved in an accident and found out the insurers stripped my car down to try and find a reason to get out of the claim, i would be angry because there's no reason to touch the engine..for all you know they might forget to put a bolt back when putting it back together, drop something in the cylinder, or anything stupid like that...
Insurers are just petty. I had a claim once, someone hit me up the ass and insurance wanted to see my car. It was my first car, i had tints, wheels, grooved brakes, ebc pads, 45mm lowered, side skirts, remap, k&n panel filter, cat back and it was fully colour coded....i never had 1 problem with my insurers for having all that, they didnt mention a word!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Its okay to declare if you have full ncb, been driving for years, or at a decent insurance age because declaring mods will be cheaper for you! But when your not even out of your teens yet and lets face it...every young man with a fast car is paying alot of insurance, but also every young man who's a car enthusiast wants to make there car faster, you just cant afford to declare. Like i said...90% of people i know dont declare and all that 90% havent had a problem! I mean if you turbo your car or s/c it then yes! defo declare, but a remap and matched inlets...i reckon insurance would want silly money just for that from me due to my age! I wouldnt bother if your young but if your old enough to, then yes! If i had a remap and matched inlets and was involved in an accident and found out the insurers stripped my car down to try and find a reason to get out of the claim, i would be angry because there's no reason to touch the engine..for all you know they might forget to put a bolt back when putting it back together, drop something in the cylinder, or anything stupid like that...
Insurers are just petty. I had a claim once, someone hit me up the ass and insurance wanted to see my car. It was my first car, i had tints, wheels, grooved brakes, ebc pads, 45mm lowered, side skirts, remap, k&n panel filter, cat back and it was fully colour coded....i never had 1 problem with my insurers for having all that, they didnt mention a word!

its expensive for young lads because bellends like you and 90% of people you know dont declare their mods!
my insurance bill is though the roof because you cant afford to insure something that you do anyway. if you cant afford it DONT GET IT! its a problem with most of todays society tbh. people wanting what they cant afford and thinking their entitled to things they call "human rights" like driving! its not a human right its a luxury! if you cant afford it shut up and save up.

MR2 Mk1.5
It has nothing to do with age, it comes down to this really:

If you cannot afford to insure the car correctly, you shouldn't be on the road. And for what it is worth, my company insure highly modified/import/performance/engine swapped cars from age 19.

Albi Blue 197
its expensive for young lads because bellends like you and 90% of people you know dont declare their mods!
my insurance bill is though the roof because you cant afford to insure something that you do anyway. if you cant afford it DONT GET IT! its a problem with most of todays society tbh. people wanting what they cant afford and thinking their entitled to things they call "human rights" like driving! its not a human right its a luxury! if you cant afford it shut up and save up.

Bellends like me lol! i dont have any mods on my car lol!..And im fully insured properly :\

53 Clio's & counting
Reecey - Im trying to see your logic but I just can't - What you are saying in plain text is a young person shouldn't declaire modifications because they can't afford the insurance hike - BUT you can afford to spend £1000 on a filter,exhaust and remap? See how your logic fails there at the first hurdle? 90% of your mates have been f**king lucky - wait until one has an accident, runs some poor fucker over and cripples them and the insurance won't pay.

Evo 5 RS
i wouldnt say anything personally. On any mod! Because im young, they would charge me through the roof if i add anything else to it. Its expensive how it is!!! Just keep your mouth shut and protest your innocense if anything comes up that i very much doubt will! I can say that 90% people i know with mods dont declare! But im young and have young mates so they cant really afford to declare. Everyone wants more power though so saying that you shouldnt get the mod if you cant afford to declare would be wrong as i knew someone who wanted to put a k&n cone filter on his zetec s at 18 was told by his insurers that he had to wait till he was 21 to do that! unless he wanted to pay an extra £600!! There just money theiving b*****ds who want to rip you off for all you got because there greedy! And they know they can get away with doing it because they can!

If you want to do that, that's your prerogative. Just don't give anymore advise, you're a tool and only fooling yourself.

Sure insurance companies are crooks, everyone knows that. You're worse though.

Albi Blue 197
Then stop telling other people to not declare their mods!!

Its something i would do though. The OP has asked if he should or not...and im saying no...my opinion.

Reecey - Im trying to see your logic but I just can't - What you are saying in plain text is a young person shouldn't declaire modifications because they can't afford the insurance hike - BUT you can afford to spend £1000 on a filter,exhaust and remap? See how your logic fails there at the first hurdle? 90% of your mates have been f**king lucky - wait until one has an accident, runs some poor f**ker over and cripples them and the insurance won't pay.

No like i said on my first post, an 18 year old on a zetec s bought a k&n cone filter which you can get really cheap was told not until his 21, otherwise its £600! cone filters new are only £80!

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah but thats still the point im trying to make matey, affording the mod but not the insurance is half a job! It is a legal requirement - people winge about uninsured drivers - drive with a modification not declaired you are one of the uninsured drivers - you may be lucky and 'get away with it' but they can still come back to you at any point if they can get proof and not only procecute you for not being insured, but for fraud too

Albi Blue 197
Yeah but thats still the point im trying to make matey, affording the mod but not the insurance is half a job! It is a legal requirement - people winge about uninsured drivers - drive with a modification not declaired you are one of the uninsured drivers - you may be lucky and 'get away with it' but they can still come back to you at any point if they can get proof and not only procecute you for not being insured, but for fraud too

Fairdoos mate! I do agree when you put it like that, but, a remap and matched inlets i wouldnt bother with though! Its just something they will NOT go into when you have a claim! Theres no way they would tell...

Matched inlets would be very difficult yes, a remap is easier than you think. The insurance company will find any reason it can not to pay, so they could find a remap if they wanted.

SQ5
Reecey you are a A star bell end! Have you actually rung up and asked people like Sky about modifications.

Your looking for a SC/Turbo Clio, would you be declaring any of that? I did and was an extra hundred pound!

I was 22, 3 points, 2 NCB's! That hundred pound is nothing for me to incase I crash into anyone, Id rather have the money for my car back and make sure every one else involved was sorted rather than me having to pay out of my own pocket because I didn't pay the extra £100 originally!

53 Clio's & counting
Il agree they most likely wont be able to check the inlets, but a remap could be found out quite easily - just safer to tell them

SQ5
Yes I'd agree with inlets too as it's a casting failure, and they're meant to be the size of the inlet gasket anyway!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Jesus Christ, some of the people in here are either massive e-hero's or just ridiculously sad.

I've never met you, but seriously, if I worked at an insurers and you phoned me up to tell me that, I'd be more worried about the mass or drugs you were obviously taking than the shorter aerial you've fitted to your car.

so this is what you were referring to earlier. i see.....

i wouldnt dare ring an insurance company to tell them about my aerial LMFAO. i rang my insurance to tell them about the change of exhaust from a pooflow to a scorpion and to tell them about the panel filter. i made a joke about the aerial and the guy on the phone said "well, i know you were messing but you might aswell add it for nothing". so...... he did. no harm in that.

FYI im no E hero or massively sad. i borrowed some money for my 182 so i like having legit insurance just incase anything happens and i can get paid out and pay back what i owe. there is nothing worse then paying for a car you know longer own.

did you know that you are even supposed to declare even a different HU?

from some previous experiences and what a mate of mine went through with his passat its worth telling the insurance company whats been done, as silly as it sounds, you dont want your insurance not to pay out because of any mod that you havent declared.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
as said you should always check with insurance before even thinking about a mod just to check prices. if you cant afford to insure the mod then dont get it untill you can afford it.. simples

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I declared everything on mine, didn't cost a penny more.

Greenlight even added it all in waiving the admn fee, only when I changed to a private numer plate was I charged.

Wheels, Suspension, Carbon Bonnet, Spoiler, Splitter.

I was going to get K-Tec's DTH ITB kit and that was going to be at no extra cost to insure, either.

Stupid not to declare it really, decent insurers allow most mods at little to nothing extra.

Albi Blue 197
Reecey you are a A star bell end! Have you actually rung up and asked people like Sky about modifications.

Your looking for a SC/Turbo Clio, would you be declaring any of that? I did and was an extra hundred pound!

I was 22, 3 points, 2 NCB's! That hundred pound is nothing for me to incase I crash into anyone, Id rather have the money for my car back and make sure every one else involved was sorted rather than me having to pay out of my own pocket because I didn't pay the extra £100 originally!

That wasn't for road use mate..

RS6 C7
I wouldnt risk running mods without telling insurance, i did for a while when i 1st got my car but now i realise it was stupid, i lost a friend who hit an oncoming car and his family got nothing and even had to pay for the repair of the guy he hit all because he had an exhaust and filter. Its just not worth it. I can 100% see why people do it though.

Ph 1 172
I have declared everything even down to the remap (which has just added £90 on to my policy, decat added nothing bit bizare) I even declared the red painted wing mirrors I had and stickers on my car, at the end of the day insurance companies are in it for money and as any business the less you have to spend out the more money they make so I wouldn't risk not telling them something, just so they don't pay out

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
i have a simple rule in life.... if you play you pay.

ive declared absolutely everything on my car... its not worth taking the risk... friend of mine has been waiting 6 months for a payout now.

TTRS & V50
For arguments sake.

I add matched inlets to my Clio, I sell it to an old lady and do not tell her.

She insures the standard car without declaring any modifications, and then hits a bentley.

Firstly the assessors 9 times out of 10 won't spot the aftermarket modification (spent 2 years in a bodyshop seeing these assessments), but if that 1 time out of 10 it was spotted, is the insurance company going to cripple this old lady with the cost of her car, the bentley and the whiplash claim the snotty chief exec has put in for to give his wife more botox ?

Listerine & Poledo
yep, pretty much.

Which is why no normal people go ear cars that look like they've had y0! treatment