ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to put 100 miles on it today on a variety of roads so, after 12,000 miles without and 120 miles with, what do I make of the MP215 pack?

In a word, impressive. I had a lot of opportunities today to give it a proper run, exploring how it now feels at different points on the rev range. It certainly pulls a lot harder at the lower end, to the extent that I was comfortable just rolling in sixth for a couple of overtakes at 40ish mph. Bit of lag, then whoosh, you've passed, pull back in. Effortless. Pre-MP215 I always dropped to fifth or fourth.

On the motorway the extra torque means, again, sixth gear is more than enough to out pace just about anything at just about any speed. The lethargy in sixth has gone now, there's proper urgency to it.

Revving it higher, the last 2k rpm now pulls much harder/stronger. Whereas before it would keep going happily to the redline (catching me out occasionally) it now rips round...almost Clio 2.0 like in the way it goes. The noise that comes with it is sharper too...the symposer seems to pick up whatever extra work the engine's doing and makes sure you get to hear that effort in the cabin.

If you'd never driven one without the MP215 you'll not appreciate what its done for the car, just how the little changes have improved the character, delivery, and flexibility of the engine. This is not to say the un modded unit is disappointing in any way...standard is still a grunty, torquey, keen to rev thing.

Economy? I brimmed the tank before I gave it to them for the work yesterday, leathered it all day long today, then brimmed it five miles from home. Actual calculated mpg over the 120 miles was 31.98 mpg. The last five miles home I drove in max economy mode...before the upgrade, on that drive from that petrol station to home, I could squeeze 47 mpg from it. Today I managed exactly the same, 47mpg. I genuinely think that for the roads I drive day to day and the way I drive them, I'll see an improvement in mpg from this.

Time will tell.

Is it worth £600?

Do you want your Ford warranty to reman intact? If the answer to this is yes, then it is. If not, there are a few cheaper options out there (although not by much) that will give 'better' gains.

Personally, I think it's great. 88,000 miles to go. :D

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Glad to hear you're chuffed with it.

Look forward to the future comparison vids.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I take it you mean same cars ie hot hatch of same engine / power ?

Alan

I managed to put 100 miles on it today on a variety of roads so, after 12,000 miles without and 120 miles with, what do I make of the MP215 pack?

In a word, impressive. I had a lot of opportunities today to give it a proper run, exploring how it now feels at different points on the rev range. It certainly pulls a lot harder at the lower end, to the extent that I was comfortable just rolling in sixth for a couple of overtakes at 40ish mph. Bit of lag, then whoosh, you've passed, pull back in. Effortless. Pre-MP215 I always dropped to fifth or fourth.

On the motorway the extra torque means, again, sixth gear is more than enough to out pace just about anything at just about any speed. The lethargy in sixth has gone now, there's proper urgency to it.

Revving it higher, the last 2k rpm now pulls much harder/stronger. Whereas before it would keep going happily to the redline (catching me out occasionally) it now rips round...almost Clio 2.0 like in the way it goes. The noise that comes with it is sharper too...the symposer seems to pick up whatever extra work the engine's doing and makes sure you get to hear that effort in the cabin.

If you'd never driven one without the MP215 you'll not appreciate what its done for the car, just how the little changes have improved the character, delivery, and flexibility of the engine. This is not to say the un modded unit is disappointing in any way...standard is still a grunty, torquey, keen to rev thing.

Economy? I brimmed the tank before I gave it to them for the work yesterday, leathered it all day long today, then brimmed it five miles from home. Actual calculated mpg over the 120 miles was 31.98 mpg. The last five miles home I drove in max economy mode...before the upgrade, on that drive from that petrol station to home, I could squeeze 47 mpg from it. Today I managed exactly the same, 47mpg. I genuinely think that for the roads I drive day to day and the way I drive them, I'll see an improvement in mpg from this.

Time will tell.

Is it worth £600?

Do you want your Ford warranty to reman intact? If the answer to this is yes, then it is. If not, there are a few cheaper options out there (although not by much) that will give 'better' gains.

Personally, I think it's great. 88,000 miles to go. :D

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
brilliant :) glad its proven to be a brilliant car :) i look forward to the progress

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I think the mpg is massaged a little.There is no way you can get that in a performance hothatch with mixed driving.On a single run yes ill agree.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think the mpg is massaged a little.There is no way you can get that in a performance hothatch with mixed driving.On a single run yes ill agree.

I actually think you're wrong Ian, the game has changed a lot. Some of the posts i've seen are mind boggled at the mpg. Difference is Mark isn't stupid, he knows how to drive. He also knows how to do mpg runs.

The young-uns doing 5k rpm everywhere don't represent true mpg figures.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

There's no massaging to the figures at all so long as fuel pumps and the mileometer are accurate. What I report and chart is all calculated from that.

It helps that my commute is lengthy but all on back roads, no junctions, no traffic, very little acceleration and braking. Hold your car on a constant throttle at 50mph for several miles without braking...see what mpg you get.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
There's no massaging to the figures at all so long as fuel pumps and the mileometer are accurate. What I report and chart is all calculated from that.

It helps that my commute is lengthy but all on back roads, no junctions, no traffic, very little acceleration and braking. Hold your car on a constant throttle at 50mph for several miles without braking...see what mpg you get.
Therefore it isn't really a true representation of real world MPG. I can get over 30mpg in mine doing that, real world is closer to 19/20. But granted that is what you get so it is all you can calculate off.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I can get around 42mpg if i sit on an A road for 15 miles and resest my computer and do 40-50 mph.But its not real as soon as i open it up normality returns and i average around 32mpg.
But i suppose you could quote that as your best mpg.

RB182cup&golf gti
I'm getting mid 30's in my ST with mixed driving. It's averaging the same as my wife's 1.2 09 Clio so all in all pretty good considering the difference in performance

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Here we go...this is with it being 500 miles overdue its first service :eek:

Before and after, what MP215 and 7,000 miles does. The top end is oomph and noise luuurrrrvely. 247 lbsft at 3,000 rpm is a hoot too. Well worth it.

20140208surreyrollingroad_zps15a8bacf.jpg

Good stuff Mark. It's easy to forget that it's not so long ago this kind of power was the reserve of what most people considered to be serious performance cars.

I bet it's great in a little car like the Fiesta. You're never gonna convince me that it sounds good though ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't that a bit disappointing considering yours was over 200 as standard?

I know now its a lot better gains than a Clio but if you get 215 from a standard engine normally putting 200, and your engine was 206 standard, wouldn't you expect 220 ish?

i understand it could be the limit of what it can actually achieve without further mods

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Focus is 1.3 bar as standard. Wouldn't be suprised if the fiesta is there or thereabouts

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff Mark. It's easy to forget that it's not so long ago this kind of power was the reserve of what most people considered to be serious performance cars.

I bet it's great in a little car like the Fiesta. You're never gonna convince me that it sounds good though ;)

I had that exact same conversation with a friend yesterday...it's quite ridiculous really that my little family hatchback that does an easy 40-45mpg has the same power (within 5bhp), a sh*t load more torque, and 60-150 kgs less than both of these..

1985-86SierraRSCosworth_zps21365ac1.jpg

Audi-Sport_quattro_1984_photo_01_zpsca3e5c61.jpg

Isn't that a bit disappointing considering yours was over 200 as standard?

I know now its a lot better gains than a Clio but if you get 215 from a standard engine normally putting 200, and your engine was 206 standard, wouldn't you expect 220 ish?

i understand it could be the limit of what it can actually achieve without further mods

Not at all. It was 202.9bhp before so I've gained 13.6bhp versus the alleged MP215 gain of 15PS. Considering it's got sludge for oil right now I'll happily take that.

Was it me or did you say it was at 1.4 BAR boos now ???

Looking at the data now, if what I read from the ECU is to be believed, it's 1.43 bar.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's also not about figures, like the Frs the upgrades are about driveability, power delivery etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Even the experience of toque and delivery, it'll feel like an extra 30/50bhp rather than 15.

What's the general thought on getting the ST Mountuned from the word go?

I definitely want it done but wondering if I should wait until the car has a couple of thousand on the clock?