ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MarkCup's Fiesta ST

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just about two months in, have covered a shade over 3,000 miles, so its time for some charts...

Mile per gallon isn't quite as good as I hoped for yet, I'm still learning how to get the absolute best out of the little motor though, so I expect it to improve over time
Slide1_zps69b4f67e.jpg

The all-in costs won't be truly accurate until I start replacing brakes, tyres, and have the odd service or repair
Slide2_zps05e71cbc.jpg

Proof here if ever it were needed that whining about VED bands/costs is pointless...it's such a tiny element of the overall cost of car ownership. This is on a little Fiesta, consider VED on a more expensive or less economical car and it's impact overall is even less
Slide3_zps028f6045.jpg

I know it'll get worse but compared to the monthly costs of my outgoing Clio 200 (£657 comparing like for like)...
Slide4_zps25e5a614.jpg

Still loving the experience :D

For anyone interested, depreciation is straightline over 5 years to a residual value of £4,000.

Last edited:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just about two months in, have covered a shade over 3,000 miles, so its time for some charts...

Mile per gallon isn't quite as good as I hoped for yet, I'm still learning how to get the absolute best out of the little motor though, so I expect it to improve over time
Slide1_zps69b4f67e.jpg

The all-in costs won't be truly accurate until I start replacing brakes, tyres, and have the odd service or repair
Slide2_zps05e71cbc.jpg

Proof here if ever it were needed that whining about VED bands/costs is pointless...it's such a tiny element of the overall cost of car ownership. This is on a little Fiesta, consider VED on a more expensive or less economical car and it's impact overall is even less
Slide3_zps028f6045.jpg

I know it'll get worse but compared to the monthly costs of my outgoing Clio 200 (£657 comparing like for like)...
Slide4_zps25e5a614.jpg

Still loving the experience :D

For anyone interested, depreciation is straightline over 5 years to a residual value of £4,000.

I'm baffled that people moan about VED, particularly on performance cars. It's minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

The MPG is brilliant really, considering it's a reasonably powerful little car. At 45 MPG, you're only 6MPG less than the average mpg I'm getting in the diesel mini I'm running at the moment.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Mark I never understand cost of ownership stuff, well over my little pea! :)
I've got a question, where did you get the depreciation figure from?

​chris

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mark I never understand cost of ownership stuff, well over my little pea! :)
I've got a question, where did you get the depreciation figure from?

​chris

Depreciation = purchase price less what it's worth at 5 years old with 100k on the clock, I've said £4,000 as it will be standard/Mountuned and having had a warranty for its full 100k will have been meticulously maintained. I think that's fair.

Then I split it equally over 5 years to get a daily rate. From that and the mileage all the other figures are calculated.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm baffled that people moan about VED, particularly on performance cars. It's minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

The MPG is brilliant really, considering it's a reasonably powerful little car. At 45 MPG, you're only 6MPG less than the average mpg I'm getting in the diesel mini I'm running at the moment.

Didnt feel that miniscule on my vectra vxr when it dropped through the door at £475. I guess I'm just not high roller enough yet.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
This is true but sky have the decency to let me pay monthly - the government don't.

Cue the 'manage your finances and put £40 a month away' comments.

But that's it though, isn't it?

I used to put £100 a month into an account to cover tax, insurance, servicing, breakdown etc.

Job done.

Most of the costs associated with cars, with the exception of unexpected repairs, reasonably fixed. You know tax is gonna cost (within a % or 2) £X. You know insurance will cost broadly £Y. You know the AA cover will be broadly £Z. Add all those up, spread them across 12 months and you have your monthly bill.

I'm not sure what's difficult about that?

I also said in terms of running the car across the year / ownership period, which Mark's graph illustrates. Driving more economically through the week could pay for your tax, assuming you do an average mileage.

What would be gained by paying monthly?

I'd question the security of someone's lifestyle if pulling £500 out once a year was a deal breaker. I'd also question the sanity of running a car that costs £500 a year to tax, as it's likely all the bills will be bigger, particularly fuel, which is the biggest hit to the pocket.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
But that's it though, isn't it?

I used to put £100 a month into an account to cover tax, insurance, servicing, breakdown etc.

Job done.

Most of the costs associated with cars, with the exception of unexpected repairs, reasonably fixed. You know tax is gonna cost (within a % or 2) £X. You know insurance will cost broadly £Y. You know the AA cover will be broadly £Z. Add all those up, spread them across 12 months and you have your monthly bill.

I'm not sure what's difficult about that?

I also said in terms of running the car across the year / ownership period, which Mark's graph illustrates. Driving more economically through the week could pay for your tax, assuming you do an average mileage.

What would be gained by paying monthly?

I'd question the security of someone's lifestyle if pulling £500 out once a year was a deal breaker. I'd also question the sanity of running a car that costs £500 a year to tax, as it's likely all the bills will be bigger, particularly fuel, which is the biggest hit to the pocket.

You genuinely sound like my dad.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You genuinely sound like my dad.

Lol.

Your Dad sounds like a wise man.

As I say, I'm not disputing it's something I'd rather not pay, and I'm certainly not suggesting I wouldn't welcome VED being less than it is. IMO though, in the grand scheme of car ownership, it's one of smallest costs, and one of the easiest to manage and mitigate the impact of.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol.

Your Dad sounds like a wise man.

As I say, I'm not disputing it's something I'd rather not pay, and I'm certainly not suggesting I wouldn't welcome VED being less than it is. IMO though, in the grand scheme of car ownership, it's one of smallest costs, and one of the easiest to manage and mitigate the impact of.

He is and he's got more money in the bank then I'll ever have and it's all from hard work and saving.

Unfortunately, if I have money in the bank I feel a compulsion to spend it.

Clio 197 F1
Depreciation = purchase price less what it's worth at 5 years old with 100k on the clock, I've said £4,000 as it will be standard/Mountuned and having had a warranty for its full 100k will have been meticulously maintained. I think that's fair.

Then I split it equally over 5 years to get a daily rate. From that and the mileage all the other figures are calculated.
Surely you loose more than 4k over a 5 years through depreciation, regardless of Warranty + Maintenance but it's worth a try. Figures look good, I'd be happy with that MPG, currently doing 25 in the Clio. Don't really care much for costs though as I haven't got a house/mortgage to worry about so just enjoying it :drunk:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Mark can you work out the depreciation of my focus please lol?

​paid 22000 (if you include my deposit)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Mark can you work out the depreciation of my focus please lol?

​paid 22000 (if you include my deposit)

Lol.

Just have a look what a 3 / 4 / 5 year old ST is worth on AT, then decide how long you're likely to keep your car for. Subtract the assumed sales price from the purchase price. Hey presto, depreciation. Then just divide that by the ownership period.

So, a 3 year old focus is worth £10K, so you've lost £12K, divide by 3 = £4K per year, or £333 a month.

4 year old Focus is worth £8K, you've lost £14K, or £3500 a year, or £291 a month.

5 year old focus is worth £6K, so you've lost £16K, or £3200 a year or £266 a month.

Obviously all my numbers are assumed.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
1 I'm lazy and Cba with maths atm

2 my car is a new model and there aren't even 2 year I'd st's about yet

3 I'm lazy ;)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
1 I'm lazy and Cba with maths atm

2 my car is a new model and there aren't even 2 year I'd st's about yet

3 I'm lazy ;)

I believe Mark's is equally new?

You can either base it on current models of ST's, which is a broadly comparable base, or a guess.

If a 5 year old ST with FFSH, 100K miles and 1 owner is currently worth £6K, then it's a fair assumption that in 5 years time, your ST with FFSH, 100K and 1 owner will be worth about £6K.

Obviously again all my numbers are assumed.

You also didn't provide Mark with most of the numbers he needs to work out your sums for you. Length of planned ownership and assumed mileage over that period.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Average mileage, planned ownership 2 years (sorry Matt :p)

yes marks is equally as new hence I didn't know where he got the figure from

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Average mileage, planned ownership 2 years (sorry Matt :p)

yes marks is equally as new hence I didn't know where he got the figure from

It's generally guess work, just informed by how much 3/4/5 year old cars are that would be in a similar condition/spec when you come to sell.

He doesn't have a crystal ball ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, pure guesswork for me.

I looked at what 5 year old Fiesta STs are going for at the moment...not too many about with 100k miles on (as mine will have when it's that old) but found a few with 70k on...and they were priced £4,500-£5,000.

So baring in mind mine will be one owner with an exemplary history from a fastidious owner, I think to say it'll be worth £4k is a reasonable estimate.

Hoping for more once people come to realise that they're truly worthy of all the press comments, and as Clarkson, Hammond, et al have said they sit alongside the classics...they really are that good.

LOL

clio diesel
Not wanting to piss on your parade, but they have a long way to go before they sit alongside the classic hatches. Lets see if anyone remembers them in 20 years time.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Not wanting to piss on your parade, but they have a long way to go before they sit alongside the classic hatches. Lets see if anyone remembers them in 20 years time.

I've a reminder in my phone to update this thread on the 1st August 2033 with the results.

Fiesta ST-2
Yep, pure guesswork for me.

I looked at what 5 year old Fiesta STs are going for at the moment...not too many about with 100k miles on (as mine will have when it's that old) but found a few with 70k on...and they were priced £4,500-£5,000.

I think the older ST models were 13/14k new? So maybe its worth factoring the depreciation as a percentage of the original value, would be more generous?

I'm really tempted to take one for a test drive, but I'm waiting till next year to get one, and a test drive is surely going to make the wait unbearable.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
One thing people are going to have to get used to is seeing them absolutely everywhere...

Ford Motor Co. said:
Jul-31-2013 8:55 AM ET
Europe

COLOGNE, Germany – Ford Motor Company is increasing production of the critically-acclaimed new Fiesta ST hot hatch after receiving twice as many orders as expected in Europe in its first six months on sale.

Ford has received nearly 10,000 orders for the new Fiesta ST since it went on sale in March. To help meet demand, Ford is increasing production by 15 per cent to 60 vehicles per day at the company’s assembly plant in Cologne, Germany.

Demand for Ford’s new Fiesta ST has been driven by customers in the U.K., who have purchased 56 per cent of all models sold in Europe to date, followed by Germany and Switzerland, with these three markets accounting for more than 87 per cent of European sales.

The new Fiesta ST unique colours Molten Orange and Spirit Blue have been requested on 45 per cent of orders and 56 per cent of customers have opted for higher specification ST2 models.

Only a very few select people care about twenty year old hatchbacks. The rest of the world has moved on. No one really cares about old hot hatches except people on car forums stuck in the past. We're not talking about classic sports cars here.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Really surprised to see a low % of ST-2. Everyone i've seen online has been ST-2.

Still 56% is high, just not as high as I thought.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Really surprised to see a low % of ST-2. Everyone i've seen online has been ST-2.

Still 56% is high, just not as high as I thought.

Maybe it's due to how they're specced in Europe? I'm sure cruise control, keyless entry, parking sensors et al are options that can be specified...so the differentiation between ST1 and ST2 may not be as clear as it is in the UK.

I'm surprised so many go for standard normal Fiesta colours rather than the model specific blue and orange...a mate's been confused as he regularly drives past two on the forecourt of a local dealer but they had no ST badges on the front grilles - he didn't realise they were just Zetec-S models in the flat red and white. They look as good as identical from the front!

Also, sixty ST per day may seem a lot, but it's a pretty reasonable percentage considering the Cologne operation is capable of producing around 800 units per 24h.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
We seen our first ST at the weekend in the ASDA car park. It was orange like yours Mark and it looked superb. I really liked it but Emma loved it.

She wants me to go and have a look at one now lol (though I still prefer the blue).

The only potential negative is not being able to fit a pram in the boot. In comparison to your old 200, how does the entry width to the boot compare? It looks quite a bit narrower on the ST but as I've not seen one up close I'm not too sure.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Was it sunny when you saw it? They need sun to bring out the orange!

You'd have to go measure up yourself N0ddie.

I think the Fiesta's boot is similar sized to the my 200 and I think access is similar too...but I've not had to worry about pushchairs so best you try them out for size.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Also, sixty ST per day may seem a lot, but it's a pretty reasonable percentage considering the Cologne operation is capable of producing around 800 units per 24h.

I was gonna say it didn't seem a lot.

Obviously I have no idea about production capacities, just seemed low compared to the demand.

Are the lines model specific?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Booked for a test drive this Saturday. Had a sit in one at my local ford dealer this week I really fancy one in blue with the mountune upgrade. I asked what discount they could do and he said nothing??!!!