ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook not starting up

My MacBook Pro is doing my f**king head in at the moment.

Safari slowed to a halt the other day and wouldn't load a page, then whole computer was unresponsive.
Waited for a while, no change so turned off.

When I turned it back on, just get an ominous thread crash message, before it reboots.
This then carries on on a loop doing this forever.

Tried reinstalling sierra, but got the "an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running the installation again" error. Googling this people have updated the time in terminal and it then works for them perfectly. Not for me.

Looks like I now can't boot into safe mode, verbose, or even recovery mode.

I usually save all important stuff to Dropbox, so I don't have this issue but as luck would have it completelely forgot to start some stuff across. Things I really could do with this week.

What an utter ball ache.

Anyone got any ideas how I could solve this without smashing it to bits??

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I believe 2011, but can't get into about this mac to clarify!

I had a fault that manifested like that, it was on a late 2010 one, was the drive cable - known fault on my model, replaced it and it fixed the issue.

Worth checking out if your model has the same fault.

I had a fault that manifested like that, it was on a late 2010 one, was the drive cable - known fault on my model, replaced it and it fixed the issue.

Worth checking out if your model has the same fault.

I have seen some mentions of that on 2010 MBPs now you mention it - and an apple recall for it.

Couldn't see any mention of it for my (or what I think is) my model.

Howrver, managed to get onto recovery mode again. Run first aid on the HD, and got the following message..

"First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from Recovery." But thats exactly what I'm doing..hmm..

Guessing my hard drive is just on its way out..

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Definitely replace the cable first, my 2011's cable broke and I spent ages plus a new ssd trying to fix it. It's a straightforward part to change too.

So after looking for my tiny screwdrivers for what seemed like days, managed to discover that my MBP is in fact a mid-2010..

Hard drive cable promptly ordered and fingers crossed..

The exciting saga continues..

Seller of invisible cable was being ignorant, and I was getting impatient so I just ordered another from another seller yesterday. Once I recieved the despatched email from them, the original seller apologised and said they had just put another in the post for me....didn't see that coming..
Then the one I ordered yesterday came today (should have used them to start with!).

I fitted it - and thank christ it works.

God knows what I'm going to do with the replacement replacement one when that finally turns up in about two weeks..

This will be a film one day.