ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lowering 172 cup, apex springs?

172 cup
i got some apex 40mm drop springs cheap was going to put them on, but car handles really well on standard setup just dont like the high look. anyone else put these on? dont wanna put them on then find ive fucked the handling.

any advice, cheers

S4 Avant
Only heard bad things about the Apex springs, in regards to ride. I have no experience of them myself, but they're meant to be very crashy.

They aren't great no but at the same time they're not the worst out there. Eibach is what you should pick up if you're just looking for springs and want a decent quality set.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i've got apex and to be honest the ride is a bit gash. hit a pothole with these and you know about it and they fling you about a lot! Ride heights good tho, no way would i go back to standard tractor height. coilies next.

Make sure they aren't Gaz or other budget abortions if you're going the route of coilovers. If you fit them you'll have fond memories of the comparably smooth ride you had with the apex.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
really!? i didnt think the ride could get much worse! I had a 205 1.9gti on std shocks with -60mm spax and that was a joke. gaz are budgets?? thought they were like 600 quid

I had both in the past and Gaz were worse than the Apex for ride quality and handling. IIRC I paid about £500 which IMO is towards the cheaper end of the market.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
so you have to buy new coilovers every time they leak @ 500 quid!?

they are crap. if you know little about ride and cornering you'll disagree but i tell you now... only because they are on my clio, they are shite. dont bother.

clio 172 sport
just got a clio sport 53 plate few weeks ago it had the lowering springs on it when i got it. had to put a new drivers side driveshaft on it because of the angle the driveshaft sits once the lowering springs are on it ........so i took them off and put standared ones back on it

E90 320d M Sport
I've got them on mine.

Quite a bumpy ride but not as bad as coils. It does handle better than standard but bumpy corners can unsettle the car.

It does look spot on in terms of ride height. I got my springs for £12 off eBay. I certainly wouldn't pay £99.99 for them though.

Coilovers can give a better ride quality than standard suspension it's just that most (seeing as people on here tend to buy cheap s**t in an attempt to get as low as possible for as little as possible) budget sets will make it worse. Invest in decent coilovers and the ride will be fine.