ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lovefilm Instant or Netflix?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Both of these have been active for a while which ones better, or is better value for money?

I've had a browse on both sites and Lovefilm seems the more 'stocked' version but that could be because Netflix doesn't have everything on it. I also can't really be arsed with Trials, if I start it I'll usually forget to cancel if I don't like it.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I keep meaning to to cancel LF but I still have Game of Thrones S1 lying around somewhere. I could've bought it on bloody blu-ray for the amount of months its been sat there!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
There is rarely anything of interest on LF instant imo. Its all about the rentals.

I disagree, there's loads of decent stuff on there. What's more is they update the film list weekly. I'll agree there isn't much new stuff. I think Dark Knight is the newest thing on there at the minute, but it's alright.

I've got the 2 disk package and unlimited LF instant. Can't complain at £9.99 p/m really. I was spending at least £20 a month with blockbuster before LF.

I want to be able to watch the latest films though. TDK is 4 years old now?

If I could watch the new films as they come out on DVD and Tv Shows the day after their air in America, my piracy would pretty much cease and I'd happily pay £20+ for that sort of service. Basically, stream whatever I want from iTunes.

But they're all too greedy. £5 or whatever to rent? No. There's no physical media. It's just 1 and 0's streamed to me. I really don't see the logic in not letting me stream the latest releases but be able to get them sent to my house on disc.

It's 2012. If I decide I want to watch a film, I should be able to have it start playing within minutes.

With music, 99p for a song is fine. It's not worth the hassle for me to try and find it to download it illegally. Then make sure it's a good copy, no adverts or DJ's over the top, add to iTunes. No. 99p and it's instantly synced with my other libraries. Perfect.

The sooner the film studios catch up, the better.

But to answer your question.. No. They're both crap. Lol.

DCI100
i have netflix and enjoy it :) if you use netflix you can watch the american one using spotflux (google it) which isn't technically illegal. much more choice then

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I had 3 months free with LoveFilm and was immediately disapointed, the latest films i wanted to rent wernt even on their database and if they were some i had to pay £3 or what ever. The film selection was pretty poor. Allot of the films i wanted to stream i couldn't not every film has that option. Even after my 3 months came to an end i had to ring them up had a very hard time to cancel, tried twice in the end to finish my trial membership. Only best thing was if there's a film you want to rent and it's available it comes out to around 2 days

320d M Sport
i have netflix and enjoy it :) if you use netflix you can watch the american one using spotflux (google it) which isn't technically illegal. much more choice then

This.

Don't know if it's the same but I recently changed my Xbox settings to get the US Netflix content, and it is miles better as far as movies go.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I have netflix. Find it quite good so far, i think i could easily get bored of it though.

Clio 1.2 16V
I have Netflix US on my Xbox through some simple DNS trickery and its well worth it, a lot more great shows and films.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Sky has the rights to the majority of 'on demand' movies. That's why LF hasn't got the latest stuff, and the same goes for Netflix (at least in the UK).

LF is a very cool service for games imo, but for movies I'll pass.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I use netflix on my xbox and thinks its class.

Well worth the money for the amount of crap I watch.

320d M Sport
My US Netflix worked for a bit and then didn't, meaning I had to go back to UK Netflix.

I wonder if they change settings regularly to avoid people doing this?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Find out if a mate has one then get the other.. share logins then you have both..

Not saying it's legal mind...

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
The proxy I use only gives you a free 7 day trial, then you have to pay £3 a month to keep using it to allow you to use the US service. Maybe you're using that one?

Clio 1.2 16V
If anyone has an Xbox 360 or PS3 (Might work on other devices that run Netflix) then just changing the DNS server addresses is enough to get you the US Netflix.

Currently using:

Primary DNS: 190.14.36.90
Secondary: 109.123.111.24

Works great and you can easily switch back to the UK one if you want:)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Bump.

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if lovefilm can be mirrored/streamed to atv via AirPlay? Or is it blocked like 4od?

it wouldn't be too much of a problem as I'd just hook up my laptop to the tv and watch it through there.

annnd, lovefilm or Netflix, which has the best movie libraries? I'm not too fussed about watching the latest tv shows and films (for now)... I just want the option to watch movies other than the ones in the house, which one will disappoint me the least?

LoveFilm can't be AirPlayed to Apple TV no.

Most people prefer Netflix. I don't mind either, they've both got plenty of content. Admittedly both have a lot of s**t too.
I tend to use Netflix for streaming and LoveFilm for physical discs of (often) crap films that I added to my list years ago.

Sky's Now TV is another option too now; and they've just released thier own Now TV box - which could be interesting. I've not looked to much into it yet though..

Last edited:
  Goliath I
Ive got Lovefilm for the games and their online movie library is pretty fap. Id go for Netflix, you can also get into the US library which is far more expansive