ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loud 'clunk'

Clio 182
Anyone any idea what this could be?
My 182 is otherwise faultless but when I come off the throttle in first, second and sometimes third, there's a loud clunk and it feels like something's shifting forward.
I've no idea myself, but it sounds pretty major. Any help appreciated :)

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I'd say it's the mount too. Mine does it. Need to ge t it sorted really

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
dog-bone.jpg

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Just to jump on this.
Mine is doing the same, sometimes when I'm turning at low speed aswell.
I do have a polybushed dogbone mount but it was already on when I bought the car so not sure of age.
Could it be?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I get this with mine. If I put my foot down in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, get the revs right up, then take my foot off the accelerator, it get a massive knock/clunk sound.

Sounds like it's coming from the LHS of me when driving.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
yeah, that's the one. I will get it on the ramp and have a look.
have checked quite a lot of things and its not anything obvious falling off. Is more annoying than worrying.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
yeah, that's the one. I will get it on the ramp and have a look.
have checked quite a lot of things and its not anything obvious falling off. Is more annoying than worrying.

Yeh, as you say, I'm not too worried about it but it can be quite annoying.

Let me know if you find anything. From looking at old threads on here most replies seem to point to engine or gearbox mounts.

172 Phase 1
The bracket the goes from the gearbox to dogbone bush, check the two bolts that hold the bracket to the box. I had a similar knock that would only happen when backing off at higher revs. Very annoying !!