ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loop the loop rolling road graph...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why would there be loops on a rolling road graph like below?

e55ece6c.jpg

I would suspect they have come off throttle for a moment and then foot back down again

That's what I first thought, either a throttle drop off or a throttle blip, but the RPM does not seem to correlate with the power figure in any way?!

Last edited:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
How and where the car is strapped, rpm the run is launched, how long you keep load on the car before letting it go and i also see on some with decats or cams a missfire causes it to do the above so it could be in the mapping too.

True story. Went on there after reading the glitchy website thread and saw that so saves a copy for the genuine question of what caused it, and the subsequent lols.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
To explain the loop at the start of the power graph, for this particular run method you need to set the record parameters for the run. We usually start at about 29mph which is approximately 2000 rpm, you then set the max speed to record for example 105mph.

You then drive the car in the selected gear to under the start threshold, then tell the dyno to start recording. The dyno will allow the car to accelerate to the predetermined start speed and hold the run until you are ready to accelerate. You then release the hold and the dyno maintains the accel rate to give you your run.

The loop section will be where you accelerate at the start of the run and before you release the car for its run, the PID loop will attempt to maintain the speed at 29 mph, of course this will in fact allow the car to go slightly past the 29 mph and then pull it back to the correct speed... this is where you will see the loop on the recorded data. Of course in the real world this is not really there, it's simply a by product of the dyno control system and recording function.

Not every dyno run will show this loop and it does depend on how long the car is held back on the rollers before the run starts. However the aesthetics of the graph, particularly at the start of the run don't normally cause any discussion as its very commonplace for graphs to show odd data at the start of a run. This is true for pretty much all rolling roads and recording methods. I hope this explains the anomoly.

As you can see in our recent blog update we have had good results all round with the Clio Camshaft upgrades, especially when combined with headwork
!clio_200_cams.jpg

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
That run was launched at about 1000 rpm where the graph starts so I really don't know how you expect the above to be a valid excuse?

If you can't feel an issue on the road between 2 and 3 on that car I would be VERY surprised tbh

Nice top end gains though

Clio 200, Megane 265
That run was launched at about 1000 rpm where the graph starts so I really don't know how you expect the above to be a valid excuse?

If you can't feel an issue on the road between 2 and 3 on that car I would be VERY surprised tbh

Nice top end gains though

The Clio in question is actually mine and I'm going leave you VERY suprised that there is no issue with the car between 2 and 3 or anywhere in the rev range.

The Clio is a pool car for my family and my business, so it get used in all driving situations, ranging from my 65 year old Mum driving my Grandparents around to Me doing 450+ laps of the Nordschleife last year in it.

I very happy with Ktec work and mapping, to the point where I make the 400 mile journey to use them for both the 200 and my Megane 265 instead of "other" tuners that are much closer to home.

Cheers

Marc :)

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
The Clio in question is actually mine and I'm going leave you VERY suprised that there is no issue with the car between 2 and 3 or anywhere in the rev range.

The Clio is a pool car for my family and my business, so it get used in all driving situations, ranging from my 65 year old Mum driving my Grandparents around to Me doing 450+ laps of the Nordschleife last year in it.

I very happy with Ktec work and mapping, to the point where I make the 400 mile journey to use them for both the 200 and my Megane 265 instead of "other" tuners that are much closer to home.

Cheers

Marc :)

Glad you are happy but this isnt about ktec's work or mapping, it's about the messy dyno graph. If it drives ok on the road i stand by the first comment of operator error.

Oh and not to dissapoint i'm VERY :eek:

HBT 172 Cup
Am i reading this right, people really bothered about an explained anomaly on a graph of an engine output at 1750rpm?

What has the world come to :(

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
As explained this was an anomaly we saw on a handful of occasions on our old dyno, not just on a couple of tuned cars but also on few standard cars (only N/A eninges). Now whether that was down to how the dyno was being run or some other cause of flaring up we will leave that to you to speculate about, we would have been happy to have an open/on topic discussion about it but that never seems possible on this forum. Openly comparing and discussing results/gains from other tuners on the same products can very interesting, as well as informative but it doesn't look like that will happen, unfortunately.

The graph shown was used by Cat Cams to promote the 402 cam profile as they fully understood the non relavent nature of the spikes. As soon as we have a suitable graph from our new dyno it will replace the current one (all the other cars that have had cams have also had other work so their graphs would not represent a true before and after plot of just having the cams fitted). We will also make many more dyno graphs available to people to study this year as we will be introducing a Dyno Blog on our new website later this month which will be updated on a very regular basis with the latest results from the dyno.

As ever, we are just trying to be as open as we can as that is how we work. I am sure we could have photoshopped this original graph in 5 minutes to make it look "neat" but we would have just been lying to ourselves, as well as potential customers and that is not the KTR way.

David.

Last edited:

DAR

172 Cup toy
Now whether that was down to how the dyno was being run or some other cause of flaring up we will leave that to you to speculate about, we would have been happy to have an open/on topic discussion about it but that never seems possible on this forum. Openly comparing and discussing results/gains from other tuners on the same products can very interesting, as well as informative but it doesn't look like that will happen, unfortunately.

I agree to an extent.

Last edited:
  SQ5
Photoshopping graphs? Really?

I've never heard of anyone doing that before why would it even cross your mind?

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
That's the whole point, it NEVER has crossed our minds and NEVER will. We have seen it done by others and it's the equivalent of an illegal act in my eyes.

David.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I would love to but I have what is known as "professional integrity" and this prevents me from doing so.

Time to withdraw from this thread and go enjoy the rest of my weekend.

David.

53 Clio's & counting
I did hear a roumour of a business that did that once or twice, but they don't exist any more. Though they do work for another company now

Agree with Paul, gains look good at top end

Status
Not open for further replies.