ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving your car at a garage for work!

GTD, Lupo
Does anyone here ever question the amount of miles that have been put on their car when dropped of at a dealership/garage for work?

Only reason i ask is because i`m soon going to go pick up my car from having some warranty work (paint) carried out and i found out the body shop is 10 miles away from the dealership i dropped it off at. So i`m expecting the car have covered 20-22 miles when i pick it up, at a guess flat out. :S but at what point would you question where the hell they have be driving your car?

I took picture of all my dash readings so could be interesting.

GTD, Lupo
Should have filled the tank to the top, then you could have seen how much they went through doing a 20 mile trip.

Well as Rob said 30 miles will be my question point, and according to the trip computer it had 64 miles left in the tank and and average of 27.7 mpg so it cant get any worse unless the do the whole journey in 2nd gear :S

Maybe we should start a sweepstake on this!

Took my car to the dealership 2 weeks ago. When I eventually got it back they had used half a tank and left it near empty.

That is crazy, did you question it?

Well, bit of a story to it..

Car kept going into limp mode and emissions light was on. Took it in, they "fixed" it, 30 mins driving home and the fault came back. Repeat 2x and I was totally pissed off. Told them to keep the car until they made sure it was done properly.

Got rinsed to the tune of £500 for a new throttle body and some other stuff. Upshot is it's now pulling like a train and I'm getting 27/28mpg city driving where before I was barely getting 20

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
years ago took my seven replica kitcar for an mot and left it. later found out they had been hooning around an industrial estate in it. had words with the manager but nothing came of it. doesnt even need a road test for an MOT.

was a very quick car as well and needed careful handling...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Well, bit of a story to it..

Car kept going into limp mode and emissions light was on. Took it in, they "fixed" it, 30 mins driving home and the fault came back. Repeat 2x and I was totally pissed off. Told them to keep the car until they made sure it was done properly.

Got rinsed to the tune of £500 for a new throttle body and some other stuff. Upshot is it's now pulling like a train and I'm getting 27/28mpg city driving where before I was barely getting 20

I have to ask.....

why in f**ks name did you use a main dealer?????

Listerine & Poledo
I never leave any excess fuel in the car when I leave it at a garage, they're never going to put fuel in it so if it's already got a warning light on they'll hopefully think twice before taking liberties.

But yeah, take a note of your mileage beforehand "Excuse me service manager, but it appears the car has done 50 miles since i dropped it off this morning... I don't suppose your boys would care to explain that?"

clio diesel
I have a little 14 inch wheel with a skinny tyre i always put on my car if i leave it with anyone. It ensures it doesnt go anywhere fast.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I'm so excited about this, when does he get back?

I have a little 14 inch wheel with a skinny tyre i always put on my car if i leave it with anyone. It ensures it doesnt go anywhere fast.

Clio diesel. Don't have to worry about that mate.

GONE!!Yozza'd BG 182
i got a good storey about this, my mate dropped his megane sport of at the audio shop to get new head unit and speakers etc fitted while we were at college got told it was a full day job, so at dinner time we jumped in my car and went to shops for munch, on the way back a megane sport with the same reg as his came flying past at 80-90mph easy, it must have been a unlikley coincidence lol he got 25% the fitting

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hater garages that like taking your car out for a unortherized ' test drive '.

well i wouldnt mind the garages on here as i know they wont b****cks the s**t out of the car.

always leave mine almost on red fuel light. and MPG meter says it all.....

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
An old friend of mine had his car in at a main dealer and it was getting work done.
While he was driving along the motorway a car just like his passed him so he went to race it and it turned out he was racing his own car.

He called the garage to ask how his car was getting on while following his car and they said it was still in the workshop.

He popped his phone and took a video of his car and followed it back to the garage in question.

The tech got sacked and he got 75% of parts and labour.

as i only ever use Dan at 519 i wouldn't be botherd if he had the car over night and even took it home with him as i know its in safe hands

GTD, Lupo
Well I got the car back and it had only covered 7 miles! The quality of the work carried out is worthy of a whole new thread. Took the car to a bodyshop down the road from me and the chap was shocked by the level the work had been carried out too. Looks like a 5 year old has painted my rear arch.

Well I got the car back and it had only covered 7 miles! The quality of the work carried out is worthy of a whole new thread. Took the car to a bodyshop down the road from me and the chap was shocked by the level the work had been carried out too. Looks like a 5 year old has painted my rear arch.
not good.. youl have to get some pics up and name and shame

BMW M135i
So they rattle can'd it and went for a quick thrash then?

Kinda depends what the car is in for, really. If it's anything that realistically requires a test drive, then I'd say anything up to twenty miles is reasonable.

TBH I really don't care as long as they don't crash it.