ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaving car for a long time

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
Hey guys, I'm leaving my car for around 7 or 8 months next week, as I'm moving to France for a while. it's going to be impractical to take my car with me, so I've decided to leave it here. Now I've got a form from the DVLA to reclaim road tax and declare it SORN, and I was planning to disconnect the battery, but are there any other steps i should take to look after it, especially in terms of the engine?

Thanks

M

mini-valver

Disconnect the battery and leave some redex in the tank with whatever fuel is in there. Like Rich said, if you leave it stood still the tyres can flat spot and perish so maybe ask a family member to drive it round the block once a week.

106 GTi
You can always up the pressures or get the bugger on axle stands of your really worried.

visualize whirled pe
Should be fine. I bought an old cortina once that had sat for over 2 years in one spot. Put new fuel in it, and jump started it and it ran fine and passed an MOT the next day after new tyres, the brakes weren't even binding!.

You can buy chocks to assist the tyres or put it on axel stands. You could secure it with a steering and gear lever lock and maybe remove the battery ( so long as you have the codes for the radio)

Personally for the length of time you are away it wont really be a problem.

M2 / Golf GTI
Sure i read somewhere to fill it right up so that you dont get condensation in the fuel tank?

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Sure i read somewhere to fill it right up so that you dont get condensation in the fuel tank?
yep! fill it up+fuel addative, disconnect the battery and id put it on axle stands too and make sure it is in a garage clean the car when it goes in! if dirt sticks on it for too long it could cause discolouration in the paint

My current car has been sat for a while, it goes abit better now its had a few tanks of fresh fuel through it and i topped the oil up abit lol.

As said leave the handbrake off and the car in gear, either disconnect the battery or leave it on a smart charger if its garaged.
You could also look into a car cover for it although the cheaper ones whip the paint work to death.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Disconnect the battery and leave some redex in the tank with whatever fuel is in there. Like Rich said, if you leave it stood still the tyres can flat spot and perish so maybe ask a family member to drive it round the block once a week.

Maybe forget the SORN and road tax reclaim. Isn't the above easier all round? Assuming you could trust your car with someone - lol.

D.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
well if you leave it full of fuel it will go off so will be a bit funny when you run it
Fuel takes yrs to go off!!

fill it up with fuel
disconnect battery
handbrake off and leave in gear

u have covered the rest!!!

Phase 2 172 Cup
handbrake off - in gear
as little petrol as possible
new plugs and oil when you return
disconnect the batter
wheels off and leave on axle stands or put abit more are in them to try and stop flat spots

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
well if you leave it full of fuel it will go off so will be a bit funny when you run it
Fuel takes yrs to go off!!

fill it up with fuel
disconnect battery
handbrake off and leave in gear

u have covered the rest!!!

Correct! My motorbike hadn't been started in 4 years and I kicked it over the other day and it started and run fine with old fuel in it.

Give it a good clean, put it in the garage or under a car sheet to protect it from weather / bird s**t.

Leave it in gear, but take the handbrake off as already mentioned.

Disconnect the battery, as I'm sure after that amount of time the alarm may start sounding if the battery begins to die and it'll only annoy the neighbours.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Definitely disconnect the battery.... I left mine for 3 months (but started it ivery couple of weeks) and I had to change the battery last month! Maybe there wasn't a direct correlation, but still a good idea to disconnect

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
Wicked guys, thanks for all of the advice, I'll take heed. I don't think it's the best idea to leave it on road and taxed because it's only my mum who can drive at home, and it will need an MOT while I'm away, and she will not have a clue about anything like that.