ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking Headlight Washer

Titanium 182
Whenever I get in from driving, my drivers side headlight washer is dripping and leaking where the stalk meets the bumper. Anybody know of a fix
to get this sorted?

Cheers

Megane R26
You can put a one way valve into the line, there's enough resistance on the valve to stop the leak but also enough pressure from the pump to overcome the valve and still spray the headlight as normal. Did this to mine a while ago and have been fine since, got them from halfords for about £2 each....

Titanium 182
Yeah same. Filled mine up yesterday evening, probably leaked 2/3rds of the bottle already. Getting a bit tedious

Titanium 182
I've reserved mine online so I can just nip into Halfords tomorrow and pick it up. Do you know the best way to access the pipe to put the valve on?

Megane R26
Sorry for the delay in replying guys, yeah they're the ones which i have fitted.
I've fitted mine as close to the washer jets as i could get them....in the wheel arch for the nearside and behind the grill for the offside

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Good shout. If Phil confirms that this is the correct part, I'll be purchasing myself. Pissed off filling the bottle, using it once or twice then noticing the bottle is nearly empty!

D.

Yep that's correct. Did mine a few weeks back. Makes a big different. Faffing around with the bumper taking it off is a c**t though.

FF 182
Just done this myself after reading this thread yesterday. Jacked the car up on passenger side, flipped the little bit of arch liner back and you can feel both washer tubes by the bumper going up to the bumper and coming down from the wing. Cut both of them and fit both one way valves.

Filled the bottle up and all the washers work however are not leaking :) result. They don't need to be placed right by the wsher jets themselves but its up to you. I did not want to take the bumper off so fitted both by the arch liner on passenger side :) took about 5 minutes altogether and £4.59 so nice easy cheap fix

Titanium 182
Just done this myself after reading this thread yesterday. Jacked the car up on passenger side, flipped the little bit of arch liner back and you can feel both washer tubes by the bumper going up to the bumper and coming down from the wing. Cut both of them and fit both one way valves.

Filled the bottle up and all the washers work however are not leaking :) result. They don't need to be placed right by the wsher jets themselves but its up to you. I did not want to take the bumper off so fitted both by the arch liner on passenger side :) took about 5 minutes altogether and £4.59 so nice easy cheap fix

Just did mine. Worked a treat! Thanks for your help Elfy

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good comibned effort there guys - I did mine this afternoon. :)

As Elfy says - it's easy enough going in through the arch-liner. Get a Torx-20 screw bit and undo the clip on the lip of the wheel arch and it provides easy enough access to the two pipes coming down from the washer pump. They are kept in place by a simple white clip, which is easy enough to open and allow you to pull the pipes out into the open...

IMG_0759.jpg

The pipe on the left is an untouched one, whereas the one on the right I've just snipped and started to insert the Halfords valve into. There are no markings on the valve as to which way the flow is, so I just guessed at the black end being towards the washer bottle and white end towards the washer jet itself. I got lucky. :)

D.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I've had a problem with my valves recently, they both got blocked up and I haven't been able to unblock them. I can't decide to just buy another set or to grab a pair of new washers from Renault.

Opinions?

Clio Sport 172
Sorry for posting and bringig up a really old topic but since it is the exact topic I need, I thought I'd ask here. I discovered a leak a few days ago and thought I'd look into fixing it but I couldn't find any valves in my local stores. Any chances that someone might find these on ebay for me?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a problem with my valves recently, they both got blocked up and I haven't been able to unblock them. I can't decide to just buy another set or to grab a pair of new washers from Renault.

Opinions?

My plastic ones failed recently, so rather than reorder the sam type, I've gone for the aluminium variety. Hopefully they will be a little more robust.

D.

I tried the ones from ebay, they were useless. I have blocked mine up now. No idea what the point in the washer jets are anyway? Why are xenon lights so special that they have to have a bath every so often!

Clio Sport 172
Already ordered them. Going to try them out but if they fail I will probably want to fill mine up as well. What did you use to fill them up anyway?
I don't really see the point in them either. You can't really seem to choose if you want to use it or not. Really frustrating when you have just washed your car and need to spray your windshield and it just squirts on your lights, bonnet and most of the front bumper.

Last edited:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
My plastic ones failed recently, so rather than reorder the sam type, I've gone for the aluminium variety. Hopefully they will be a little more robust.

D.

In the end I bought two new washers from Renault. That was like 2 years ago now, they're still working fine. Part of the problem for me was the fact my washer bottle was completely full of crap. I bleached/washed/pressure washed it out and it's been fine since. Dunno how the previous owner was filling it but it was really filthy.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Already ordered them. Going to try them out but if they fail I will probably want to fill mine up as well. What did you use to fill them up anyway?
I don't really see the point in them either. You can't really seem to choose if you want to use it or not. Really frustrating when you have just washed your car and need to spray your windshield and it just squirts on your lights, bonnet and most of the front bumper.

You should only get the headlight washers going when the lights are on - and even then, only if you pull the washer stalk for an extended period of time. You should hear a two-tone whirr noise - the second whirr being the headlamp washer pump. I NEVER use my headlamp washers - instead I rely on washing the car a lot! So frustrating that it's a requirement of the MOT and I never use it ;)

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
You should only get the headlight washers going when the lights are on - and even then, only if you pull the washer stalk for an extended period of time. You should hear a two-tone whirr noise - the second whirr being the headlamp washer pump. I NEVER use my headlamp washers - instead I rely on washing the car a lot! So frustrating that it's a requirement of the MOT and I never use it ;)

Its only a requirement for them to work if they are present. Remove them and add blanks and it will pass fine.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've just gone out to the car and suprise suprise, I have two leaking headlight washers...

Does anyone know what they cost new from renault? ebay don't seem to have any and the ebay 'one way non return' things don't seem to get a great review judging by ^^ comments up there.

Anyone?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I've blocked mine and disconnected the pump. mr mot man has been told that I have fancy jet shaped washer blanks ;)

Westfield, 182, 200
When the wife had a 182 I kept topping up the washer fluid and blamed her for using the washers too much! Felt guilty when i found a leaking washer!!

Fitted the valves and never had another problem. I read somewhere that the washer cracks due to age and the cold weather freezing the water in the jet and breaking the plastic??

From memory, when it washes, the motor runs to clean one lamp and reverses to clean the other.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
From memory, when it washes, the motor runs to clean one lamp and reverses to clean the other.

ai, its same pump as the main one that goes forwards for front and backwards for rear washer, on direction per attached tube :)

Clio 182
I've blocked mine and disconnected the pump. mr mot man has been told that I have fancy jet shaped washer blanks ;)

I went for colour-coded insulating tape instead :) just a tad ghetto, and now looks really scabby, but it was good enough for the MOT man!

Clio Sport 172
I can't seem to get my arch-liner out for some reason. Where is the clip supposed to be on the lip of the wing ?!