ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest ps3 update

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Listen guys before you update it take any discs out.

It stresses the blu ray reader apparently and causes it to break like mine did earlier.

So thats me with an £80 bill to fix it :(

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
bit too facking late in the day for that info, dunno if mines broke havent used it since up date

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Danny_172 said:
Listen guys before you update it take any discs out.

It stresses the blu ray reader apparently and causes it to break like mine did earlier.

So thats me with an £80 bill to fix it :(
Where did you get that info from?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Took me ages to do mine earlier but I had MW2 in the Drive whilst doing it and Played it later with no issues

dk

911 GTS Cab
A common fault apparently.

As it would seem the Ps3 units are pretty unreliable reading some of the things online about it.

Sony
exactly the same thing happened to me with my xbox, died after an update, not just the reader though the whole thing and MS denied it was the cause even though the same thing happened to thousands of others.

i think you were just unlucky, 99% of people will be fine with the disc in the drive, someone somewhere has concluded that it was that which 'might' have caused it, if it needed to be disc free otherwise it might kill it, i think sony would highlight that in the update before you do it so they don't get loads of warranty calls, as this theory has been around for a while i think.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
exactly the same thing happened to me with my xbox, died after an update, not just the reader though the whole thing and MS denied it was the cause even though the same thing happened to thousands of others.

i think you were just unlucky, 99% of people will be fine with the disc in the drive, someone somewhere has concluded that it was that which 'might' have caused it, if it needed to be disc free otherwise it might kill it, i think sony would highlight that in the update before you do it so they don't get loads of warranty calls, as this theory has been around for a while i think.

The only thing that makes me think its toss is that its done about a million updates before (all the time with discs in them) i just dont know why its decided to be a wee pussy now :(

Focus ST3
Chances are most machines will have a disk in them at the time of update. Sounds like internoodoo bs.

I suspect having a turd before updating will have more influence on its failure ;)

Bus w**ker
Pfft load of b****cks. I refuse to take MW2, which is also rumoured to stress the "lazer" to near fatal limits, out of my Fat US 60Gb and it updated fine on the 15th.

That said though if I turn it on now and it's broke GOD HELP YOU SONY!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ I have a Fat boy 60GB.. left the MW2 disk in when I updated (it actually hasn't been out since MW2 launch day but that's a different story ;)).. no probs with the update at all.

Just internet BS as previously stated..

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Chances are most machines will have a disk in them at the time of update. Sounds like internoodoo bs.

I suspect having a turd before updating will have more influence on its failure ;)

I suspect you snort turds off the back of a toilet cistern TBH

Bus w**ker
Or as I like to call it, another waste of time w**k update that actually offers f**k ALL. Ooooh I can sort my pointless trophies...HOORAY!

SLK 350
Still no cross game chat, or cross game invite system? Really is a fking mystery why they don't sort it the fk out. They should let Facebook loose on it, it's basically what it needs.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
only thing you can do with facebook on the PS3 is link them so that everytime you get a trophy it leaves a message on facebook saying you've done what ever :S

A SHED!
only thing you can do with facebook on the PS3 is link them so that everytime you get a trophy it leaves a message on facebook saying you've done what ever :S

yea i look a right figgin nerd...with those trophies coming up....."hey laaaadies!, oh by the way did you see my sexy gold trophy on call of duty?" Fail...instant fail

E36 328
The chat is bullshit and so is the invite system tbh, takes so long to invite people on mw2!

the chat, they need to sort out the swear filter for one thing! the word connection is blocked because it has conne in it or something im guessing its french for c**t?
and something else stupid like gay is blocked lol

SLK 350
So there IS a X-Game Chat and Invite system now?

I have a question also regarding the Other OS removal, if you have a Linux partition will it wipe that space and reformat the partition, or is that space 'lost' in the ether?

Bus w**ker
There is a w**k invite system that's clunky as hell. Not a patch on XBL. No X-game chat...no matter how many times people ask for it :dapprove:.

I've never bothered with the OtherOS thing, but from what I read you had to format the HDD before installing the update or you just lost the space and can't access it.

Can't find the official version of this on the PS3 site...but then I didn't really seacrh too hard and this is the same advice anyway. http://www.40tech.com/2010/04/04/how-to-save-your-ps3-data-and-gigabytes-from-the-3-21-update/