ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Latest Issue Performance Car - 197 at the Ring

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
The 182 is much quicker on the straights by quite abit.

Despite that the 197 is quicket round track and that has been proven on various track days and magazine tests.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The 182 is much quicker on the straights by quite abit.

Despite that the 197 is quicket round track and that has been proven on various track days and magazine tests.

Was nice to see that it wasn't quick enough to get past though :rasp:
Still plenty of spirit in the old cars yet

Lee

BMW M2C
That's me in the passenger seat in the Clios at Bedford video, chasing Chris Knapman in the 197 Cup.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
182 looked quicker in the straights, 197 had it in the corners and especially under braking.

Lee

BMW M2C
I think you would be surprised. We need Markcup to comment, as he sat with me in mine and watched the dials. He commented on how hard the 197 Cup pulled all the way down the straight.

We also had the camera setup, if Mark has sorted the video out yet?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
A flamer comment - but I cannot believe how much better the white 197 looks with the spoiler on the back. It literally transforms the rear from a mundane, plain and fat-ass hatch in to something that looks good.

It's weird - as an optical illusion, it almost appears to lower the car a bit as well.

If I were to have a 197 Cup - the spoiler would be Tick Box 1 on my options list. Without fail.

D.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think you would be surprised. We need Markcup to comment, as he sat with me in mine and watched the dials. He commented on how hard the 197 Cup pulled all the way down the straight.

We also had the camera setup, if Mark has sorted the video out yet?
Just going on the video mate, the 182 was def pulling on the back straight.

A flamer comment - but I cannot believe how much better the white 197 looks with the spoiler on the back. It literally transforms the rear from a mundane, plain and fat-ass hatch in to something that looks good.

It's weird - as an optical illusion, it almost appears to lower the car a bit as well.

If I were to have a 197 Cup - the spoiler would be Tick Box 1 on my options list. Without fail.

D.

Cup Spoiler and recaros are a must imo

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
182 looked quicker in the straights, 197 had it in the corners and especially under braking.

The 182 was staying off the curbs, the 197 was all over them.

I think the extra weight shows betwwen the corners.

Lee

BMW M2C
Got to ask, how many miles has the 197 (not) got on it...

It depends which of the two Cups. The one without the wing is the same age as mine, new on an 08. Chris has put a couple of k on that. The one with the wing driven by Dan has a few more thousand on it as it's an earlier press car. I think he's still only around 4-5k. I'll ask him in a minute as I've just been having a chat with him via email.

Both have been over to Spa and the Ring already.

Paul we all know thats not true. 172 cup is the only true light weight track focused cup. 182 cup and 197 cup are driver focused versions of the cars though. oh and to say 182 cup is more worthy of the cup name than the 197 cup is just silly.

Do you think I could have got cup in this post more times?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Paul we all know thats not true. 172 cup is the only true light weight track focused cup. 182 cup and 197 cup are driver focused versions of the cars though. oh and to say 182 cup is more worthy of the cup name than the 197 cup is just silly.

Do you think I could have got cup in this post more times?

:eek:

Suzuki Swift Sport
Both are great cars in my opinion, as for the 182 being quicker, Ive had a tussle with a few 182s and cant see any diff (straight line speed) in them whatsoever! Think its just down to the driver!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
People seem willing to beleive the Corsa VXR is quicker than a 1*2 (from other threads) but also won't beleive a 197 is as quick as a 1*2 - which from my personal, and posted experience doesn't tie up because on the road, up hill, down hill, on the flat, the Clio an the Corsa are 100% even heh :)

On the topic though, Performance Car isn't sold anywhere near me either - someone showed me the page where I could find the nearist 'stockist' next to me - and it was meant to be in loads of places and when I went in and looked, I could never find it, and the staff had never heard of it :(!

Dan

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
I'm driving the 182 in that vid, and it's my mate Dan driving the 197. The video is fairly redundant as far as settling any 182 vs 197 battles as it was the first time i'd taken that car on track and it only took a few laps to find out how bad the front tyres and brakes are on my car. The previous owner took the economy route when he replaced the front tyres, while the front discs are on their way out and the front pads just faded when pressed hard. As a result, the 197 cups were about 2 seconds a lap faster than my car. But, i'm aiming to fit new Exaltos on the front and Brembo discs/Ferodo pads for the next evening session and see what the difference is then. I'm hoping things will be evened up a little.

As a 182 owner having driven the 197 cup at the Ring, Spa and Bedford, at the moment I'd happily take the modern porker any day of the week.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm driving the 182 in that vid, and it's my mate Dan driving the 197. The video is fairly redundant as far as settling any 182 vs 197 battles as it was the first time i'd taken that car on track and it only took a few laps to find out how bad the front tyres and brakes are on my car. The previous owner took the economy route when he replaced the front tyres, while the front discs are on their way out and the front pads just faded when pressed hard. As a result, the 197 cups were about 2 seconds a lap faster than my car. But, i'm aiming to fit new Exaltos on the front and Brembo discs/Ferodo pads for the next evening session and see what the difference is then. I'm hoping things will be evened up a little.

As a 182 owner having driven the 197 cup at the Ring, Spa and Bedford, at the moment I'd happily take the modern porker any day of the week.

Evening, how's things?

I was the guy who joined you and Dan in the pub after Bedford last month. The evening when Jeremy tried to kill us all on the run to the pub by expecting us to keep up with his 1200cc BMW bike.

Maybe see you at Bedford next month?

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs

Evening, how's things?

I was the guy who joined you and Dan in the pub after Bedford last month. The evening when Jeremy tried to kill us all on the run to the pub by expecting us to keep up with his 1200cc BMW bike.

Maybe see you at Bedford next month?

Hi Lee,

Thought that was who you are. Yeah, i'll be trying to get to Bedford if I can get the upgrades sorted!

Jeremy's not shy on that bike is he?!

Lee

BMW M2C
He's not shy in anything he drives. Trying to drift a V6 at Brands was entertaining.

Depending on finances and getting time off work I should be at Bedford again. If not I'll do Oulton Park.