ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking top mounts

It occurs over uneven roads and is beginning to annoy me. A local garage diagnosed it as play in the top mounts, they showed me this when holding the top and bottom of the front wheels and shaking.

It's on Bilstein B14 suspension. Can anyone advise on my next steps to fix this problem...something I can do at home? Is it likely to require complete new suspension or just something to tighten/replace?

I realise it's hard to say without looking at the car but anything to point me in the right direction would help.

ETA I've just realised this might have been better in the faults forum...apologies if so!

I haven't. Only had the car 6 weeks. Coilovers are a few years old as far as I'm aware.
To be honest I didn't realise they were separate to the actual suspension unit.

Forgot to add... Would this contribute to the car tramlining quite badly, more noticeably under acceleration? It's definitely not torque steer but is very unnerving when pressing on down country lanes for example

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Was this issue concluded as your problem seems the mirror of mine....very unnerving down country lanes.

@boomerbang2006 I haven't done anything further. It passed the MOT no problems and he didn't mention anything but there is still a knocking that annoys the hell out of me. I did find a thread somewhere on the Bilsteins where a lot of people have had to get them rebuilt.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
So far ive still got the knocking on the left hand side front...ive changed the suspension/upper mounts and even got the little spacer thing fitted but its still knocking every now and again.
Ive just bought some new anti roll bar links thinking that might cure it but i`m having to wait to get them fitted as ive also got the air con pump and outer idle belt pulley to change too.