ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joe's Ph2 172

Just bought myself a nice little silver 172.

Its on 76k and has had
New alternator
New battery
New (s**t) tyres lol
New pas pump
All belts done and rebuilt head (where previous owner neglected to do the cam belt)
Refurbed factory alloys
New suspension spring (where it was stoof for a while)
Got full years MOT too!

After getting rid of the 106 GTi track car and (soon to be rid of) 1.4xr 106 daily because I needed something better to travel the longer distance to work in this fit the bill as its fast(ish) and pretty comfortable (its the sport not cup model) so I can commute and use it for the odd track day.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS...

Its adequate speedwise. It didnt exceed my expectations but I have found myself going 80 when I thought I was doing around 50 so the build quality can't be too bad!

Engine is a bit like clarkson described ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!

Driving position isnt perfect....
Pedals catch on my trainers
Havent gone fast enough to test handling. Seems okay though maybe a little soft.

Plans are to see how I feel about it. Won't be a full on strippage might keep it fairly tame with uprated suspension, wheels brakes and tyres, maybe exhaust and mounts and go from there. Its definately a keeper though!

Will get pics and vids up asap.

Went out for a blast but phone died. No pics.
Changed my my mind! It feels FAST!
Possibly doesnt feel like it handles as well as my old Twingo did, possibly feels less stable. Tgis could be due to going a fair bit faster :smile: or could be due to the horrendous tyres on the car. Understeer is practically non existant. If anything the car feels like its setup more for oversteer.

Power wise I don't think I need any more till I get used to it to be honest. First on the list should be tyres possibly the nankang semi slicks and possibly suspension upgrade. Brakes seem fine for the road they lock up nicely, abs doesnt feel too instrusive, same for esp- think it interrupted twice. Steering wheel im having problems getting a comfortable position. Part from that im happy as larry with the car! Its epic!

I was told today the rear brakes on a 172 are the same as a 106 gti? Any truth in this? As i have a new brembo set in my shed for when they need replacing.

20141102_094112_zps8f00e5ea.jpg
Standard outside the house pic. Will get more when weather improves!

Attachments

• 20141102_094112.jpg
    20141102_094112.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
So I've had it less than a week and I love it to be honest! Its definately fast enough (for now) the real problem I am having at the moment is learning its handling as I just can't to get a driving position that allows

*pedals to be in a nice position
*steering wheel to be in a nice position
*back to be seated nicely
*enough bolster at the side

I just can't seem to find a setup im confident with when conering so I think im going to purchase some Cobra subframes and fit one of my cobra bucket seats to see if that improves.

Mod wise I would like

*the whiteline rear ARB.....heard good things.
*15" Team dynamics pro race 1.2's with some decent tyres
*possibly a catback SS exhaust for when the standard one dies.

Not much to report. Just getting used to the car and its handling really which has been a lot of fun. I've always known these were quick cars but there have been a few shocked faces out on the roads lately. My bad. I should know better lol
20141110_162728_zps07fe2eec.jpg

Immediate plans are to spray the grill and to spray the renault diamonds. I thinl "Ford graphite grey" is popular on here for this colour?

Gave it a good clean and a wax...yeah im not a photo guru.
t

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Looks great. The phrase 'a few shocked people on the road' got me thinking mmm. Plans sound good mind.

It does look embarassingly like a 1.2 Clio at the moment what with it being silver, not having a decent spoiler and a 172 rear bumper...those alloys don't help either!

I've finally found a decentish driving position but Istill need to go ahead and actually be assed to buy a cobra subframe. I have no excuse as I have two seats with harnesses sat in the shed! I may just leave it after that and wait for the summer for the mods to begin. I hate slippery roads and working on cars in the cold.

Looks great. The phrase 'a few shocked people on the road' got me thinking mmm. Plans sound good mind.
Its almost mint If im honest. Alloys are 99% as is bodywork just a few minor carpark dings. Interior is mint too. I think this is the reason I haven't gone mad on it. The only weight I've removed is the leather rear headrests and I plan on getting rid of that passenger seat shelf thing. Its just too nice to gut!

How do you find them on the road? Thats where It'll be spending most of its time at least for the next few years. Standard sport suspension is comfy just a bit "rolley" at the front end.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I only use my car at the weekends mate but I've had different types of suspension and id be happy enough if I used the car every day. Note to anyone else who reads this, save some more dollars and buy decent coilovers

Haha. I've had bilstein suspension on a saxo before so I know they know what they are doing. I wont go silly low though. Probably only 20mm or so depends how low the smaller wheels will make it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I think mine sits a little low, well for a daily but it handles really well. True test will be on track. Here's a pic of mine

clio172026_zps15889725.gif

Haha yeah that is a little low! Nice colour though. Are those the brake ducts in the fogs?

Oh and I need to do a headlight refurb your pic just reminded me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah cheers, ref the headlights :(. Yeah brake ducts in the fogs, brakes are brilliant. Brembo discs, cheap £15 pagid pads lol

I.meant yours looked normal lol.

Thats interesting because I think the standard brakes are pretty good too. The ABS is also perfect (imo) you can feel just how much they have to give when the tyres do that sort of tsh tsh tsh tsh tsh against the tarmac. Thats with jinyu ditchfinder max plus pro tyres lol again I think I'll just run them this winter till they wear out and just save over this winter.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
The headlights do need doing tbh. These brakes are the best I've had on my previous three clios. Oh and get better tyres lol

Been thinking and barring the tyres im going to stay fairly simple. Keep the sport suspension for now as its so comfy on the road and instead

Get some camber bolts and shims and get it set up nicely.
Dogbone mount
Rear ARB
Cobra driver bucket with harness.

I will probably remove the rear wiper and motor as I never use them and its free weight saving.

Also went out today and bought some plastic grey primer, some satin black, ford graphite grey and some clear lacquer as I plan to spray the front (done will get pics tomorrow) and rear Renault diamonds, Renaultsport and Clio badges and the door bullets graphite grey.
Will also spray the grill and rear bumper slot thing and door mirror bits in satin black. Probably wont use lacquer as it may look too shiny....not sure yet!

Got 51.8mpg on the way to work as well :)

Did my front diamond and bullets...
20141114_160436_zpsa4959fa6.jpg

20141114_160428_zps4c928ce7.jpg

20141114_160417_zps832baf7a.jpg

Not sure you can see it in the pics but they have come out perfectly! The colour is "Ford Graphite grey" I did the usual impatient thing and after lacquering put it to dry face down on my high vis in the guardroom and guess what? It stuck! Meaning I had to rub down all the way to the Chrome and start again! Lesson learned!

Just have the rear diamond and badged to do when I get home and also spraying the grill and rear bumper cut out black.

Im very tempted to spray the wheels graphite now.

Got round to doing the rear badge which was fairly straightforward..
20141119_155349_zps08ab3454.jpg

and also did the wheel badges too which was nice and easy as they pop out!

20141119_155142_zps68b02c64.jpg

Just got the front bumper black bits to do now.

Might look into getting a SS exhaust as my backbox is looking a bit sorry for itself and is starting to blow. Any suggestions? Don't want anything loud.

Reactions: Gus
Bought a car cover...
20141121_213605_zpsf247ca89.jpg

So while its at home it lives in a car port and while its at work it will be under a cover :smile:

Lucky Nicole....next will be a stainless exhaust. Thinking of a janspeed stealth with centre silencer.

So while I was away I decided to do a bit more painting...

Sprayed my rear bumper plastic and front grille (the whole thing) lacquered them both and glad I did as they look SUPERB! Just the fog surrounds and the lower grille left to do.

Only got a rear pic as it got dark.
20141201_164411_zpsdf71a05a.jpg

Also a blessing and a curse as my standard exhaust rear rubbers are failing and on top of a rusty system its just falling apart and now blowing VERY loudly!

So have just purchased a ktec/janspeed system stealth supersport system with some new hangers which will hopefully get fitted on wednesday. Looking forward to that!

Oh and also got my Clio sticker through the post wont be using the great quality keyring though as it weighs too much ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats interesting because I think the standard brakes are pretty good too. The ABS is also perfect (imo) you can feel just how much they have to give when the tyres do that sort of tsh tsh tsh tsh tsh against the tarmac. Thats with jinyu ditchfinder max plus pro tyres lol again I think I'll just run them this winter till they wear out and just save over this winter.

If you make it through winter with a set of budgets on a 172, that is...
Only time I've set the ABS off is downhill on a wet track (Cadwell, under the trees just after the 'pit' exit).
Get some proper rubber on there ASAP !

Haha that shows how bad the tyres must be cos I managed to get it kicking in again today on some dry tarmac lol to be fair I've adjusted my style to suit them so when they wear out its going to be a momentus occasion having something decent onwheels!

clio 172 cup
Car looks good mate only had mine two weeks having the same problem with the driving position as you am a tall chap also have the cup so my seats are not as nice as yours

Once the car has its plastic bits all sprayed satin black I think it will look basically mint and as new but im really not a fan of the standard alloys on the sports...but hey ho. Upwards of £400 for a set of alloys without tyres is a lot of money imo with little gain so they'll be staying a while...

Yeah if im honest I dont quite feel at one when im driving the car hard. Theres a little trade off I have to make with driving position versus seat support. I think this is possibly THE most important thing I sort after the exhaust. Im not a tall chap either at 5"10...

Just the exhaust and probably a panel filter possibly a remap everything else is just too much money for not enough gain. I would prefer to spend the cash on suspension :)

I may try and lighten the car as much as I can too in the realms of a road car. Not going all out as track cars are an ass driving round daily. If I could get it to 1000kg as a daily and still practical that would be ideal. On the lookout for a skoda fabia splitter but don't think there are any dealers near me so may have to order online :( wanted to get one in my 3 days off

clio 172 cup
Have a look at a k tec carbon fibre splitter mate love mine costs a bomb but could get one second hand
unnamed%202_zps1gvqj1np.jpg
']
[/URL]

Have a look at a k tec carbon fibre splitter mate love mine costs a bomb but could get one second hand
Its nce but I'd be scared to break It and also carbon should go with carbon imo. By that i mean i would then want fog surrounds and mirrors etc lol @optical i will do a step by step guide for you in a bit mate.

HOW TO SPRAY GRILLE FOR CLIO 172

What I used: 1can of Halfords Satin black (smaller can) 1can of Halfords *plastic* grey primer (smaller can) 1 can of Halfords clear lacquer (smaller can)

Step 1) If you have bought the cans recently they need to be warm to at least room temperature ideally (I put mine near the radiator for about 30mins)

Step 2) Remove grille

There are two plastic screws that need to be removed these are found at the top left and right of the grille (accessed in the engine bay) once these are undone visually check where the clips are holding the grille on and then simply push (or tap) the grille out of position. This may take a little bit of force but you want to pick a corner of the grille to start from (I chose the bottom right) and work your way from there. You may also have to unhook a small hose from the bottom of the grille before it can be removed (I believe this to be the washer jets hose).

Step 3) Wash the grille

and clean it of any grease. If there are any imperfections they can be sanded down. I found mine came up fine with just soapey water.

Step 4) Remove the grille protector
This is the heavier part to the grille its like a recessed part of the grille that I assume is there to protect the alternator from stones etc. This simply unclips and is easy to work out how to remove. I removed this because why would you want a nice shiney black grille and then a bit behind it that isnt quite sprayed properly?

Step 5) The priming of the grille
Assuming the grille is clean now shake the can vigorously and apply the primer. How far away you spray determines how much goes on. Too close is much worse than too far away as you will get runs. As a rough guide no closer than about 12 inches away. You will learn as you apply. You want to get ALL areas of the grille EVERYWHERE that is seen including the top and edges. You may have to move the can closer for this. When applying paint I spray in short sharp bursts. You will know when you are done. I found that after 15 mins the primer was dry enough to take the paint people say you should wait hours or even days imo this is unnecessary however DO NOT TOUCH THE GRILLE AT ANY STAGE OF THIS GUIDE you will get fingermarks!!! Assuming the primer went on okay you can proceed with the next step. IF however some dirt or dust landed on it you may want to wait longer for it to dry and then rub down with 2500grit wet and dry (wet).

Step 6: Apply the colour
Same again shake the can and spray a a bit at a time. Ensuring you arent applying too much to one area. If anything applying lots of coats every few minutes can be better for someone doing it for the first time. I generally can apply it all in one coat as I work building the colour up till its the full dark black colour. I think I applied three coats over 5 minute drying periods (or should I say three ant run periods) I'll just repeat do not apply too much to any area as runs will occur, you will see the paint become very shiney and its quite obvious when you are putting too much on. Now wait around 15 minutes and you are on to the next step.

Step 7) Lacquer

This is the hard bit in my opinion as lacquer can run easily so be patient. When you apply it you will notice it may look like small droplets in which case come a bit closer. What will happen is that you will see areas become shiny as you spray. If you are in good light you should see if your doing it right. You will need lots of coats of this and again get in all the cracks and everywhere. You can easily use a hole can if done perfectly. I did 3-4 coats for reference leaving at least 5mins between coats.

Step 8) Leave it to dry DO NOT BLOODY TOUCH IT
THATS RIGHT DO NOT TOUCH IT for at least 2 hours I would say and then you can put it somewhere safe to dry properly but ideally just leave it somewhere warm and ventilated. Mine was left to dry indoors for 24 hours and I picked a dry day to put the grille on. I find it hardens best outside.

Step 9) refit grille

Little bit fiddly this one which is why your grille must have been left to dry properly. Basically a reverse of the removal it just clips back in and the screws put back on. Be careful not to scratch your shiny new grille!!! @optical

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Thanks Joe appreciate the detail in your guide. Im definitely going to do it. Whats your opinion on the lower grille, im tempted to do both at the same time. Do you think it will stand up to stone chips. I dont tend to tail gate people so my thinking is it should be OK.

And in the posts above carbon is a slippery slope, before you know it a grand has been spent on all sorts of stuff. check out -->http://streamlinecarbon.com/v2/