ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It's nice to see you are taking inspiration (copying) Nick's race car.

I suppose it's a bit like everyone trying to catch up with the Redbull's ;)

Im assuming you are the Mark Webber in your driver pairing then? ;)....not that Im gracing Nick with Vettel status...:rasp:

To be honest we would have been foolish not to follow Nicks BROTHERs path of removing as much as we could from the front bumper.....its amazing how much weight can be saved. We won't be going quite as extreme with the rear bumper though. Nick has removed some of the main bumper fixings......and we all know what happens when a bit of 'rubbing' occurs in the Touring cars. Their minimal fixings break and the things fall off!

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Removed both of the plastic crash structures, the upright sections of lower 'bib' and other unwanted bits of plastic and then set about completely removing the fog light area.

Might fail scrutineering if you have removed the honeycomb stuff behind the bumper(comes under safety)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Looking good Tom. These things always take longer than you think!

What brakes are you running on the front?

Standard calipers, Brembo HC discs with CL RC6 pads with fully braided lines throughout.
Now running with 172 Cup set up as well so sacked off the ABS.

BMW Z4
Im assuming you are the Mark Webber in your driver pairing then? ;)....not that Im gracing Nick with Vettel status...:rasp:

To be honest we would have been foolish not to follow Nicks BROTHERs path of removing as much as we could from the front bumper.....its amazing how much weight can be saved. We won't be going quite as extreme with the rear bumper though. Nick has removed some of the main bumper fixings......and we all know what happens when a bit of 'rubbing' occurs in the Touring cars. Their minimal fixings break and the things fall off!

I have a dilemma in this area. I want to run TDT and TT next year and so want to be as light as possible but for the Dubai 24 hour series the min weight is 980kg for my class so would then have to add back on a large amount of ballast.

Question:

Can ballast be strategically placed to enhance handling? Like 100kg over the rear axle or front suspension towers say?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I have a dilemma in this area. I want to run TDT and TT next year and so want to be as light as possible but for the Dubai 24 hour series the min weight is 980kg for my class so would then have to add back on a large amount of ballast.

Question:

Can ballast be strategically placed to enhance handling? Like 100kg over the rear axle or front suspension towers say?

If you have to gain weight then you want it somewhere thats going to be beneficial (not that weight is ever beneficial but you know what i mean!) and as Sam rightly says, putting some on the passenger side will help balance out you and the fuel which is predominantly over the drivers side.
The rest you want spread as evenly as possible over the rest of the car and ideally as low as possible to keep the centre of gravity down.

BMW Z4
If you have to gain weight then you want it somewhere thats going to be beneficial (not that weight is ever beneficial but you know what i mean!) and as Sam rightly says, putting some on the passenger side will help balance out you and the fuel which is predominantly over the drivers side.
The rest you want spread as evenly as possible over the rest of the car and ideally as low as possible to keep the centre of gravity down.

Yes I get you. Just another thing for me to think about.

Hi Pete, how's things?

25/05/11

Managed a few bits and bobs over the last weeks evenings...

Especially for J&T a bit of powdercoating :rasp:

147.jpg

151.jpg

Colour matches the pending colourscheme. Had it stripped and tidied up for the stiffening work, seemed rude not to colour it!

Stiffened wishbones, with an offset bolt in the rear bush for an extra slog of castor:

149.jpg

Carried out the final fit on the brake lines and pressure tested the system:

150.jpg

152.jpg

Laid out the loom complete & after chatting to Matt gather remaining sensors I need.

153.jpg

154.jpg

Set to work on finishing the seating position:

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

Jumped on the windows fail machine and designed a seat frame.

158.jpg

Cardboard comes into its own for checking the design off the screen; scaled print off the .prt file and mock it up in the position required:

159.jpg

Ordered the manufacture from a Ali grade that can be laser cut & folded to the angle needed.

Gearbox all ready to go.

160.jpg

'Captain slow' started work on the interior loom and controls:

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

Cardboard & tin used to mock up the controls mounting frame.

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

'Billy' lightened the bumpers.

168.jpg

169.jpg

Took the head apart for valve seat work, springs and a few other bits and bobs:

170.jpg

172.jpg

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Very nice update Thomas, it's all coming together now.

Hopefully this will be at your place when I bring the car in, would like to try out your lanky boy seating position :)

Qashcow
Tis true tis true, wouldn't take long to snap them either with some race bashing too. I don't need to think of these things gladly

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Lol @ 'Billy'. Shows what happens when 'Junior' goes and works with a proper race team, gets called 'Billy' and told to make tea and clean wheels.....he then thinks he's qualified to use the term. :rasp:

Anyway, whilst Junior and The Mad Professor have been madly 'engineering' and 'fabricating' I've been doing the dog work......lightening panels and fitting polycarb windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.