ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's been a while: The RB182 is back

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Well, over the last few weeks and months, my car has gone through some pain and some change; new cylinder head along with cams, tappets, belts and dephaser - purely to alleviate an annoying tapping sound that one hydraulic lifter was creating. While it was in getting that work done, I set out upgrading and updating other parts around the car:

Stainless exhaust courtesy of an RS192 decat system.
Espace V6 airbox with ITG filter.
RS Tuning box with 98R map.
15mm spacers all round.
Updated badges and decals.
3/4" front plate.
De-striped.
Tow eye.
Powder coated inlet manifold.
Uprated plugs and leads.
LED sidelights (which may or may not be fitted in favour of just removing existing sidelights).
6000k HID headlights.
Updated rear number plate lamp.
Other bits and pieces I can't remember.

So, today I set about giving the car a good old clean and detail. I realise there are things that won't appeal to everyone but I'm quite happy at the moment and having finished a 3 hour stint washing, polishing and waxing the car (AG HD really is fantastic - cheers Gally for the advice), I finished up by spraying on some Zaino Z-8 and it just capped everything off. The photographs really don't do the car or it's condition just at all - it looks stunning considering it's 8 years old. The most labourous effort was removing the stripes, but even then it just needed a bit of elbow grease and the paintwork did the rest. It's difficult, if not impossible, to even tell that the car had stripes on originally. A real testament to the condition of the car. It may have only done 35k miles, but as said the bodywork has gone through 8 years. I was really pleased with the results.

Bear in mind, I'm not a detailer, nor am I an avid photographer, unfortunately, but as said the photos don't do the colour or condition justice.

7605315088_2af53fee06_z.jpg

7605315334_0a74fd7806_z.jpg

7605315552_d632c34216_z.jpg

7605318848_a150efeaf1_z.jpg

7605319226_69c4fdf3d8_z.jpg

7605321056_2f6a4c1c69_z.jpg

7605321372_ec58d2a777_z.jpg

7605321640_3718c7137e_z.jpg

7605324788_e13686e63e_z.jpg

7605325734_4643ccc2c7_z.jpg

7605331996_4c3398fd84_z.jpg

7605344708_834f5dcf01_z.jpg

7605338336_648c63993c_z.jpg

7605351082_298294600c_z.jpg

Few things I'm still unsure about, namely the standard alloys. I was always going to get some Turinis and have them sprayed matte black. That's still an option but I've quickly run out of funds, so for now the OEM wheels will have to do. Also still waiting on a rear plate coming (not a fan of the GB plates). The other thing is the rear spacers can cause the tyres to catch on the arch lip when cornering at speed, so I'm looking into replacing them with some 10mm hub-centrics.

Other than that, there we go. Like I say, the decals, badging and tow eye (in some shots) may not be to everyone's tastes, but I'm very happy :cool:

AK

M240i
Nice mate. That rear end looks awesome for some reason.

Turinis would be mint, not a fan of the standard wheels.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
50/50 missing the stripes :eek:

Looks much cleaner without but not as unique. It was annoying when folk ask why I'd put them on. Gordini innit. Huh? Meh.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Stunning! IMO leave the Turinis, the way it looks now is perfect! What suspension are you running? It sits so nicely. And I like the sticker, I was thinking about getting a Micheal Schumacher one to put in the same place, still uncertain but I like your Senna one!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I think they look loads better with the standard cup wheels.

Lovely car although i keep thinking your exhaust looks out of place. Maybe thats just me though :/

Sam!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks lovely mate. Perfect RB.

Sort out the cutting out problem?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Wow, stunning, the ride height on the OE wheels is just right :)

I bet its nice to have it back on the road after all that work

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Thanks guys.

Looks lovely mate. Perfect RB.

Sort out the cutting out problem?

Yeah. They changed the leads and adjusted a few things. It's spot on now.

Very nice and very clean example of an RB, shame about the ill fitting rs192:eek:

I do need to sort that out. I requested it put up to the cut outs but it could do with lowering down just a tad.

Stunning! IMO leave the Turinis, the way it looks now is perfect! What suspension are you running? It sits so nicely. And I like the sticker, I was thinking about getting a Micheal Schumacher one to put in the same place, still uncertain but I like your Senna one!

KTR mate. Went for the middle ground as far as price was concerned.

Looks very nice, how's the colour match round the de-striped areas?

Yeah, like I say, bit of elbow grease and it was all sorted. It was removing the adhesive that they left behind that was the pain. Hot water helped along with a few Autoglym products.

Top dollar that. So when are you going to flog it to me? ;)

Just tell me when you want to do that straight swap, Chris ;)

I bet its nice to have it back on the road after all that work

Definitely!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lovely, looks better with the stripes for me though, gordini init ;)

M16a
Looks great, alloys really suit it as is.

I think I prefer it with the Gordini stripes actually. Like said previously, makes it a wee touch more "special"

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It would be £80 to put the stripes back on. Will give it a few weeks to see how it settles as is.

Z4
I'm going to say put the stripes back on, and when you eventually cave in and put them back on, I'm going to say remove them!

looks spot on mate, I'd be tempted to leave it now. Maybe colourcode the bullets blue with white font to match the rear sticker, and turinis in silver. Not essential though

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I'm going to say put the stripes back on, and when you eventually cave in and put them back on, I'm going to say remove them!

looks spot on mate, I'd be tempted to leave it now. Maybe colourcode the bullets blue with white font to match the rear sticker, and turinis in silver. Not essential though

hahahah