ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"It never rains, it pours" (water in ignition system)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Apologies for posting this excerpt both here and in my project thread but I'm after some help and this is a good place to ask...

It never rains, it pours. Quite literally.

What happened? I f**ked up.

This weekend gone I decided to open up the bonnet and carry out a bit of routine maintenance and to give the engine a wipe down with a cloth / degreaser. It was a lovely day, blue sky and the good lady had gone off to work (hence a hassle-free afternoon! LOL!) So, yes, I opened up the bonnet and went about my business in terms of getting the degreaser, the cloths, fresh oil (to top-up), screen wash - the usual stuff.

I was faffing around getting the bits sorted, making a cuppa and answering the call of nature when I heard the heavens open and - sure enough - it was absolutely p**sing down. I got back outside and found the engine bay soaked and water pooled across the top of the block (right where the HT leads and spark wells are located). I quickly mopped up and shut the bonnet but obviously was fearing the worst. :(

After the rain had passed I went back out and opened her up again and found the engine bay pretty much soaked. A quick look at the trumpets suggested that - thankfully/hopefully - water had not got through the filter and into the trumpets. On removing the HT leads... *sigh* ...water was found in the wells. I immediately got the water out using a spray from an old cleaning product bottle and dried up the well as best I could (I didn't fancy removing the spark plugs at this point as I was pretty miffed and hoping that water might have somehow not leaked further down).

There followed some hefty drying and eventually I decided to try and turn her over.

The engine turned over and she kicked into life without a problem. She was idling fine (no different from normal as far as I could tell) and there were no obvious signs of problems. But after a short while she started to become a little bit lumpy. Not so far as to the point of cutting out, but definitely lumpy. I turned off and left the engine to dry further whilst it was warm. Upon starting it again it started without problem and - again - I noticed no obvious problems. After several minutes of running it was still fine, no judder, no smoke, no misfire, no signs of excess water or moisture. At this point I decided to take it for a short drive.

After a brief judder as I pulled from my driveway (which may have been my map as it is a bit lumpy around 2k) it was driving steady and without issue. I didn't want to stress the engine hence took it extremely cautiously. I drove a good 20 miles without a single problem and it was only on the return home when it started juddering. You could hear the pops and bangs as it misfired and the obvious judder shook the car, and the power dropped massively. It would run for a few seconds down on cylinders before catching another spark and - oomph - the power came back and it was like having NOS!

To cut a long and boring story short, I'm after some guidance / advice as to what to do next and things to check/try. Obviously I'm hoping no serious damage has been done as I've only just really got my car back as I want it after a long line of troubles. I'm gutted this has happened but not half as p**sed off as I am at myself for leaving the f**cking bonnet open. (Rant over, help/advice welcomed).

Cheers.

DAR

172 Cup toy
I had this a while ago on a Golf Gti, engine got covered inb water.I dried as much as I could, got the engine running and let it get to temp, and then unlugged as many leads/plugs (including Sparks/Coil) as i could and used some WD40 (water displacer) on them. Then left them unplugged, and shut the bonnet, and let them dry using the heat from the engine. Connected all back up, and had no problems at all after that.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Pull the leads, blow water out with airline, done. If you have no airline, pull the plugs out and crank the engine over to blow the water away(with coil unplugged)

Evo 5 RS
Oh dear Andy lol.

I drowned mine once under difference circumstances. Crank it over with out the plugs as above, with any luck you'll have a nice fountain display like I did

53 Clio's & counting
Id say there will still be water in your plug holes mate, as Danny said, pop the coil lead off, whip the plugs out and crank it over :) Any poblems just give me a ring mate

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks DAR and Danny for the replies and suggestions. These have been put into practice and the car is drying (hopefully) as I speak / type. Fingers crossed she'll run better tomorrow once everything is back together again.

Oh dear Andy lol.

I drowned mine once under difference circumstances. Crank it over with out the plugs as above, with any luck you'll have a nice fountain display like I did
LOL! I know, mate... what a flump (me, that is). :eek: As I was just saying to Owen, it was a minute or two after it started raining that it suddenly dawned on me I'd left the damn thing open to the elements!

Id say there will still be water in your plug holes mate, as Danny said, pop the coil lead off, whip the plugs out and crank it over :) Any poblems just give me a ring mate
Cheers, Russ - hopefully everything will dry out and be ok. I'll drop you a line if needs be. :D

Having cranked it over with all the plugs and leads out I was a bit disappointed that not much more than a drop or two came out. I guess that's a good thing! As said, it's currently drying and has had a bit of WD40 treatment to aid the moisture dispersal. The HT leads have, too, and the sparks are having a bit of a WD40 bath. Mind you, the sparks didn't look in too good a condition considering they are relatively new. I don't think it will hurt to pick up a new set of NGK's tomorrow and to put those in instead.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the sparks are having a bit of a WD40 bath. Mind you, the sparks didn't look in too good a condition considering they are relatively new. I don't think it will hurt to pick up a new set of NGK's tomorrow and to put those in instead.

hmm, don't think I'd bathe plugs in wd40 personally. Put a pic up. New plugs is prob a good idea if they look rough. Have you de-cat'd?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
hmm, don't think I'd bathe plugs in wd40 personally. Put a pic up. New plugs is prob a good idea if they look rough. Have you de-cat'd?
Well, not a bath as such mate (apologies for being a bit misleading there)... just gave them a good covering and wipe down to remove a lot of the deposits on them. I'll go and grab a pic as they look now and post up in a few minutes... I'm running a 100-cell sports cat, mate.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Danny, this is the condition of the plugs now (having been wiped and cleaned with WD40).

spark01a.jpg

spark01b.jpg

spark01c.jpg

I'm no expert... but they've probably seen better days?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Another thing to try (might sound pikey but it worked on my 106 after i jet washed the engine ...):

• Grab a hairdryer, cut some hosepipe down to about 6 inches in length, duct tape the hose pipe to the hairdryer (where the hot air comes out obviously).
  • Insert hose pipe into spark plug hole.
  • Turn on hairdryer, dry out plug hole.
:clown:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Another thing to try (might sound pikey but it worked on my 106 after i jet washed the engine ...):
  • Grab a hairdryer, cut some hosepipe down to about 6 inches in length, duct tape the hose pipe to the hairdryer (where the hot air comes out obviously).
  • Insert hose pipe into spark plug hole.
  • Turn on hairdryer, dry out plug hole.
:clown:
If it works, it works... ;)

I was going to say it was probably a bit daft sticking the jetwash under the bonnet and at the engine... but I'm not really in any position to speak. From this point on I'll ALWAYS close the bonnet when away from the car.

The good news is that, having put the plugs and leads back in this morning, I arrived at work without too much hassle. After a hesitant start initially, it then appeared to run fine for the remainder of the journey. I haven't given it a good run yet (I don't really have chance to get the engine properly warm on the work run) but no misfires or judders at the moment. Hopefully all is good again.

Thanks to all the above (and those who contacted me) for the help / advice. :D