ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It Lives!!

It actually lives!!

Just over 2 weeks from buying & breaking down, she's back on the road :D Pretty pleased with her! Taking it steady :)

Now to see what this 172 ownership is actually all about.... wish me luck!!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
funny shade of black that sara ; ). and really bad look that, but as the song goes things can only get better.

My pref was flame red or black Kev ;) But i'm pleased, she's pretty clean for a 9 year old car!! (But not as immaculate as my 5 was - yet)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Get it machine polished. What tyres are on? They make a big difference to how it feels. Same with brake pads and condition of shocks. Oh and check engine mounts and strut top mounts. There good to refresh to get that tight feeling back.

Get it machine polished. What tyres are on? They make a big difference to how it feels. Same with brake pads and condition of shocks. Oh and check engine mounts and strut top mounts. There good to refresh to get that tight feeling back.

OH is a crash repair estimator in a body shop. So machine polish is on the cards. As is refurbed wheels in a dark matt colour - unsure of what exactly yet.
A friend does wrapping so may get the fog light surrounds and silver bullets carbon wrapped - will see, might look gash!!!

I find the brakes crap, so that'll probably be the first thing to do, as will a bluetooth/ipod stereo.

Tyres are Toyo T1R i think.

Will be taking it to OH's work in the next couple of weeks to check the condition of everything on the ramps too, will give a good insight!

I'm very lucky with all the people i know!!

Then it'll be time to book another friend for some track tuition early next year! :D

Tyres - PE2's. The toyo's were good for the MX5's mate but they really arnt a match for PE2's.

Brakes - DS2500's, braided lines and Brembo HC's.

Stereo - Alpine related.

This car was bought to save me money.... lol.

Tyres won't be changed until they need it, i'm sure they are Toyo's but can't actually remember!! Looked at so many Clio's.....

Stereo will probably be Sony, as another friend works there!! (seeing a theme here? Sponging off my mates? haha!) I don't want anything fancy, just a unit that connects to my phone!

Then you shall have what you want :)

But please dont think about saving money on tyres as they are the only contact you have on the road.

As she stands now. This weekend i will clean, clay & polish to see exactly what we have to work with :D

ccar2.jpg

car1.jpg

car3.jpg

car5.jpg

car4.jpg

Why does Photobucket do that? Resize them and not all of them do it?!? :(

Thanks Pedro. All panels and paintwork are original too :D

Megane 225 F1
This is brilliant news Sara. Love flamers. Fancy the Krispy Kreme meet on the 22nd this month?

Will - will go look!

Replacing... 16 valves, 6 cam followers. Also had head gasket done, Cambelt kit, aux & tensioner (assume its called that?). Plus oil & filter change. I have the bent valves in a bad as a sovenier!! :lol:
Thank that was all?

Brakes assuming they are oem and in good condition should be perfectly fine. People think they're crap but it's down to them not being heavily assisted. If you stand on them they will haul the car up very quickly.

Brakes assuming they are oem and in good condition should be perfectly fine. People think they're crap but it's down to them not being heavily assisted. If you stand on them they will haul the car up very quickly.

Drove it loads last night, everywhere just to get a good feel - actually getting used to them. I've been drivin OH's CTR with great sharp as hell brakes so i guess i was just used to them!

I like this little car :) Few things to get used to though:
Steering wheel feels massive!
So many buttons... i normally like simple interior
The driving position in itself, the gearstick feels miles away. I guess again that's because i'm used to the CTR's gorgeously placed gearstick, and the fact i had somewhere to rest my left arm in the mx5!

But still, everything else sems good! I quite like the suspension, not having to worry about speed bumps or potholes, or bottoming out like the mx5 too :D

The brakes just have more feel, The ones on an EP3 are less progressive that's the difference. It'll feel like you're having to put in less pedal input to get them to feel like they're doing something.

Standard RS wheels are too big. Mine has a 320 mm momo and it makes a massive improvement to the drive.

I really don't want to lose my airbag - safety is paramount to me after the bad accident i was in back in Feb! (Pedro might remember)
Is there a better wheel out there that retains an airbag?

To be fair, i could get used to it, just don't know how long it will take :)

And you're right about the brakes - the word progressive explains it nicely!

I really don't want to lose my airbag - safety is paramount to me after the bad accident i was in back in Feb! (Pedro might remember)
Is there a better wheel out there that retains an airbag?

To be fair, i could get used to it, just don't know how long it will take :)

And you're right about the brakes - the word progressive explains it nicely!

How could i forget? Shocked me abit.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I am pretty sure you can get a 197/200 wheel to fit and retain the airbag

You dont have C/C to lose either, so thats not a worry

I don't see why people obsess about airbags tbh. In some cases they cause more injury than they prevent. IIRC someone on here has fitted a wheel from a 197/200 which are slightly smaller and nicer.

I don't see why people obsess about airbags tbh. In some cases they cause more injury than they prevent. IIRC someone on here has fitted a wheel from a 197/200 which are slightly smaller and nicer.

Airbags undoubtedly saved my life in February. I'd rather risk injury with an airbag, than what may happen without. I actually received no airbag burns or airbag related injuries, apparently. Just the injuries from being slammed into the side of a house, on my side.

Thanks for the info on the 197/200 wheel - will look into that if i can't get used to the 172's wheel :)

Can I be nosey and ask how much all those repairs cost? Also was the belt change not under some kind of warranty?

Ummm all in? Around £450. I'm lucky in that OH works in the trade, his good mate is a Renault techy and has changed more 172/182 cambelts than i've had hot dinners, he also gets discount.
The cambelt was under warrenty, but as the garage was over 300 miles away, i cut my losses. Would have been more hassle, for longer.