ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this the tdc sensor?

Clio Sport 172
26062008206.jpg

in the middle of the pic? do i just take the screws out and pull?

Clio Sport 172
which bit do i clean? reno want £55 for a new one... so thought i would have a go at cleaning it first...

26062008208.jpg

Yep thats it mate, replaced loads in my time. Just clean the metalic bit on the end. LOL £55 what a joke.

toon

Clio Sport 172
woop i used wd:40 a min ago befor you said and put it back together now.... so ill take it to bits and give it a tinkle with the brake cleaner

Clio Sport 172
Tbh mate i dont it was just something to try.
I am getting the car ticking over but not firing.. So read that it could be that

Iceberg 172 Cup
Tbh mate i dont it was just something to try.
I am getting the car ticking over but not firing.. So read that it could be that

the car wudnt start at all mate if the tdc sensor had gone faulty?? or it wud be very temporamental! (sp?)

182 for sale £7000
if you replce the tdc sensor with genuine renault parts a modified 1is blue and it is a modified connector and the old connector wil not fit the new 1

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
u should try doin a tdc sensor on an DP0 gearbox in a kangoo clio or megane, i nearly put a brick through the frickin window at work, so fiidley and no room.

new modified tdc sensor and connector is the way forward!

Clio MK 4
mine struggles first thing in the morning but can get it going by bliping the revs. i f i dont do that it dies. but it never just turns over and not click in.

do you think this could be tdc sensor

Lionel Richie
in simple terms it lets the car's computer know at what position the crank is at and how fast its spinning (rev counter)

so you can try to understand it below is a simple simple explanation

if you look at the flywheel there are teeth around the edge(like a cog on a bike sort of) one of these teeth is missing, so every rotation of the flywheel the TDC sensor "sees" this missed tooth and so the ecu knows what position the crank is in

(various cars have different numbers of teeth on the flywheel and sometimes more than 1 tooth missing, as i said this is just a simple explanation to give you an idea)

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Makes sense alright, can even see how it would be stopping the car from firing up if it was "on the blink"

Lionel Richie
because if the ecu recieves no signal from the tdc sensor no fuel will be injected and the spark plugs won't fire

?
Do i actually need to buy a new loom? cant i just soldeir the new tdc sensor directly to where the old loom connects bypassing this apparently useless connection bridge?

Da

Less
Apologies for the bump...

Is the location of the TDC sensor down the nearside of the engine, above the gearbox?

Last edited:
  Skoda Fabia vRS
in reply to a few comments above, yes you DO need the loom, stop being cheap, for a genuine part they are quite reasonable and if its turning over but not firing up this is almost always the culprit

only buy genuine, the connector may be the problem and a factors sensor obviously wont fix the problem if this is the case