ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this alternator fixable? Are the metal casings available to buy...

Currently completing my 'winter build'.

One of the main issues was with one of the alternator bolts wiggling its way out over the course of a track day. This caused the alternator to vibrate with the ending being the bracket on the alternator snapping.

I was wondering if anyone knows if youre able to simply swap metal casings on an alternator? Only because the alternator worked fine, and i dont really want to spend £180 for a replacement.

If anyone has experience rebuilding alternators, could shed some light on whethe this is stright forward this to do? Or wheether its a case of binning this and replacing the full unit.

Pics below:

alternator snap.jpg

Thanks!

Or get it welded and retapped
Possibly an option. Although my thoughts was to get an old cheap one either working or not working and simply swap the casing over to my perfectly working one. In theory anyway. Waiting for someone to come and tell me that it’s not so straight forward. I’ve never opened up an alternator so I’m unsure what to expect. From the surface, the outside or metal casing looks like it may just bolt on and off.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Should be easy enough to swap casings, get another set off a knackered alternator. Pop a new set of bearings in if needed, and set of brushes, maybe a regulator if not too expensive and then your alternator is as good as reconditioned.

Loads of youtube vids of alternator repairs if you need some inspiration, one should cover a similar valeo.