ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a good deal on winter tyres and steel wheels

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Just couldn't bring myself to spend money on tyres that I'd use for the sake of a few days.

Just couldn't bring myself to spend money on tyres that I'd use for the sake of a few days.

They aren't for a few days - they are for an entire season!

Winter tyres work much better than summer tyres in temps below 7 degrees and of course in wet conditions. The difference they make to the stability of a car in cold and wet conditions is staggering.

Clio 172 + 172 cup
I just bought a second hand set of those tyres which are in nearly new condition, I then paid £12 per wheel to have them fitted to some standard Clio wheels I had knocking around, total cost to me about £170.
I don't think that is a bad price for new ones though.

MC

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't think they're worth it mate. I'm sure someone people will go on about how much better they are, but it in escence means your paying at least £400? for another set of tyres, when I can't say I've ever noticed my current Conti's being unsafe in the winter.

And lets face it, if it snows that much, ground clearance will be more of an issue & me personally - I wouldn't drive if it was that bad as all the other helmets on the road shunt for fun because they don't know how to handle to conditions.

Might be worth noting that all our company cars & pool cars had these fitted last year & still none of the drivers got in lol.

Each to their own though, if it makes you feel safer I guess it's the price you pay

I just bought a second hand set of those tyres which are in nearly new condition, I then paid £12 per wheel to have them fitted to some standard Clio wheels I had knocking around, total cost to me about £170.
I don't think that is a bad price for new ones though.

MC

I've only got my nice alloys so I'd like some steelies that I don't mind curbing

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
They aren't for a few days - they are for an entire season!

Winter tyres work much better than summer tyres in temps below 7 degrees and of course in wet conditions. The difference they make to the stability of a car in cold and wet conditions is staggering.

+1

Also look at getting a cheap set of 15 inch alloys or steelies from on here or a scrap yard. Then search for 195/50/15 winter tyres. This should save you some money

PB Clio 172
I have thought about winter tyres and there is no point in this country not cold enough IMO

people seem to think they can plough through snow in them! :S they are not snow chains

Clio 172 + 172 cup
Given the choice between a set of proper winter tyres or my R888s I know which I would want on the road on a cold and wet morning.

MC

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I have thought about winter tyres and there is no point in this country not cold enough IMO

people seem to think they can plough through snow in them! :S they are not snow chains

To be honest you can lol. I drove my clio in some quite deep stuff last year. Once the tread is covered in snow the grip they offer is unreal. You can pretty much hammer the brakes on full without locking up and sliding.

Plus depending on your mileage they will see you through about 3-4 winters.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not a bad price overall, tyres are worth around £60 each roughly.

Probably cheaper just buying a battered set of alloys or steelies from the scrap yard though.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Given the choice between a set of proper winter tyres or my R888s I know which I would want on the road on a cold and wet morning.

MC

But you're comparing tyres on completely different ends of the scale. Comparing them to the standard fitment tyres I.E. Pilots or Sport contacts is more comparable IMO & more relevent for 'most' people.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest you can lol. I drove my clio in some quite deep stuff last year. Once the tread is covered in snow the grip they offer is unreal. You can pretty much hammer the brakes on full without locking up and sliding.

Equally two years ago (in the bad snow we had) my sisters other half drove his 172 cup back from Banbury to kent (non motorway) with ditch finders with no worries at all.

PB Clio 172

yeah I can see some logic in them but wouldn't fit them myself, the winters where I live are mild to say the least

also depends whats under the snow, if its black ice and snow on top you have no chance!

172 Cup
Had a set on my old Fiesta and I cant recommend having them enough. The grip they offered from Oct-Apr in the cold,damp,snow,slush, etc is far better than any set of summers could have done.

Now, I live in a town and near a train station, on that basis I wouldn't bother.

Renault Clio 172 cup
The only one who seems to have mentioned it is G172,....that price is for one steel wheel and one tyre, plus another 9.90 per wheel for delivery. So nearly 460 quid for some steelies and some ' winter tyres ' ( i.e naff all good the rest of the year ). Money much better spent elsewhere I would suggest.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Hardly, winter tyres are recommended when it drops under 7degrees, I have ran them the past couple years, well worth the initial outlay as it saves wear on your normal summer tyres.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Equally two years ago (in the bad snow we had) my sisters other half drove his 172 cup back from Banbury to kent (non motorway) with ditch finders with no worries at all.

Just because you can manage doesn't mean that it's a good idea or safe.

I just don't see any reason not to. They are helpful when the temperatures drop, not just when it snows and assuming you can find suitable winters for a similar price to your usual summer tyres, they aren't actually costing you anything in the long run as all the time you're using winters, you aren't wearing your summers.

I got around ok in the snow last year in an MX5 on average summer tyres, but I certainly don't want to do it again. This year I have the best winters I could find/afford on the Merc and I'm seriously considering a cheap set for the Clio for a bit of snow fun.